• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Failing Blowoff valve!!!

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Just a quick check to see if anyone else has experienced the Tial lookalike blowoff valves that Twisted, OVS and others have used in their kits to fall apart and lose the 2 inch aluminum disc into the intake and ultimately into the throttle bodies to end up in the reed cage. Have seen this with 2 now and one with disastrous results this past weekend. Near death experience. Not kidding here. I advise anyone with this style of valve to inspect and remove and loctite all removable internal parts freshly. Will post pics later.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
pics of valve and damage

Here are pics of valve, some of the damage to both sleds and where piece ended up. Whole thing happened in space of 50 ft and to start I was only going 10-15 mph but estimate impact at 20-30 mph. Nobody hurt but could have been, I was on sled trying to stop it until just before impact. Throttle cable wasn't attached to flipper after disc stuck in throttle plates.

IMGP1310.jpg IMGP1311.jpg IMGP1306.jpg IMGP1312.jpg IMGP1304.jpg IMGP1314.jpg

S

sledhed88

Dec 13, 2007
thats exactly what happened to the sled we just bought. it didnt make it threw the throttle boddies though. i put it back together using red loctite but still leary of using it

S

SHOP!

Apr 21, 2011
MT. baker
thats exactly what happened to the sled we just bought. it didnt make it threw the throttle boddies though. i put it back together using red loctite but still leary of using it
Get rid of it. Them guys need to step it up and use some good parts in there kits before someone gets hurt worse.

E
Jul 9, 2002
Omak, WA
Glad I have mine adapted to 1" hose now. The disc can't go to the throttle bodies. Now I see that it doesn't say Tial on it. All along I didn't second guess it-till now! Works ok, though.

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
My OVS BOV doesn't look like that.

I think the oriface into the intake is too small for any internal parts to get in mine, but everyone should certainly check their setup. Sure makes a good argument for the piston style over some of the diaphram styles.

Another thing I look at every chance I get is the butterfly screws in the throttle bodies. I know they are staked, but we are putting some big force against them.

Great heads up.....sure glad you're OK.....wish your sleds were too!

M

m8lovin

Aug 29, 2010
vernon bc
Just checked mine. Its scary how easy it was to turn off. Im sure it would not have been long before it came apart. Thanks for the heads up!

P

product tester

Nov 27, 2007
I would like to thank spoon for this thread we have seen 5 of these come apart now and we have changed our bov to a soild pistion and an adjustable spring rate. for low and high boost.

Premium Features