• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 no start

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Heres a new one on me. Finished riding at Revy Sunday, parked sled in trailer full of snow after deep snow day, tried to unload to put in shop next day and won't start. Has spark and fuel but wants to backfire and pull recoil out of my hand. Once in a while it will start and run for a second but quits. Dried every plug out (no moisture visible) and even had ECU reflashed to 09 update. No difference, plugged in stock injectors to bypass attitude box and no difference, unplugged water temp sensor and tested good. Pipe sensor is fairly new. Sled ran great to parking lot, shut it off and it restarted fine a half hour later. Next day no run. Acts like it is in electric reverse mode but my sled doesn't have (08) and this problem happened before reflash. Fuel pressure is good when it fires. Any ideas? My next is to check for sheared flywheel key.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
m1000 or m8? pull all connections and dry them out, you could put a timing light on it and have someone pull it over and that should tell you if its firing at the right time, I think.

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
As title says, M1000 and flywheel key is ok and all triggers are ok, need to check for spun flywheel as I have had this happen to a 900 in past. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

L
Mar 19, 2009
Same problem with my dads. It needs to be properly vented, we got the Mo-Flow vents. http://www.myspace.com/moflowvents Thats the link to the site. Also, try clutching it. Can't remember exactly what we are running for belts, and I am not even in the same country as the sled, so I can't check, but he did the vents first and his sled runs great now. With the clutching it goes like a raped ape, you hit the throttle and be prepared to hold on.
If you are going to vents it, you will have to get rid of the air plenum that runs to the air vacuum. Take a peice of flo-rite, your AC dealer might have it, ours did, or any other peice of material of the same idea, and put it over the air vacuum. Flo-rite is just a material that lets only air go through, not water. Make sure you put it under the vents too, so that you don't get plugged up with snow.

There ya go:D

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Thanks but have every Mo-Flow vent made on this sled and it is bone dry in shop now and it has all it needs to run except timing seems way out. Stone-Cold gave me an idea to try and I will let you guys know how it works out.

Sep 29, 2008
my sled just did this same exact thing after a deep snow day and i let it sit. Pull both of your plugs off your ecu and blow them out with some compressed air

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Plugs are dry and the only new thing I have found is that I have a slight fuel leak out of my return line when tank is full and we filled sleds next day and excess fuel leaked out and fully soaked the wiring harness under tank and through the coils. Removed harness to dry out and may install new 09 harness I have tomorrow and have my electric reverse that my reprogrammed box has now. Hoping that this is problem. Gives me a chance to tear sled apart to detail and clean it a bit though.

S

Snowstar

Aug 22, 2006
Ogden Ut.
Really sounds like wet ECU or connectors, seen those exact symptoms many times. Go over every inch of the harness, blow out all connectors with compressed air and apply die-electric grease. Had this sled had any work done recently?

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Hey Greg, no work done recently, ran great but we had to try and fill sleds with excess race fuel so we could get on Ferry, I'm sure Shain filled you in on that, and the slight leak I had allowed the leaded fuel to get all through harness at the coil side, the excess lead caused a slight short in harness. Removed harness completely and brake cleaned and blew out all the grey lead buildup and re-installed and fired first pull. Moral of the story is don't spill Race fuel on your wiring. My leak at the return line grommet at near top of tank was very slight and it usually looked just oily from the mixed fuel but being full to the nuts and in a warm race trailer forced excess through. I fixed the leak while I had tank off. Thanks to Stone-Cold for the advice about checking the harness under the tank. Great to have this forum come in handy as it should and no stupid remarks. Thanks guys!!!!!

Premium Features