• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat 2018?

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
Bankrupt!

no joke. wouldnt be the first time. you can count the remaining cat dealers in the west on 1 hand now, what the hell is cat thinking seems to be a gong show. "lets cut off all our dealers, that will make our business improve". stock price is in the toilet at $14 per share. sad deal. its only a matter of time before cat runs the ship into the ground and yamaha steps in and buys em cheap.

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
Cat should farm out the belt drive to a company like tki, c3, mvm if they haven't been able to create one of their own by now it's an easy weight loss and performance gain. I'm excited to see what's next from cat both engine and chassis heck maybe even suspension. Cat has brought us great technologies such as the lay down engine, reverse coolant flow, double a arm front suspension, c-tech etc. Ya it might take a few years to refine what comes out next but all stil steps forward towards the next ultimate ride

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
It's all about $$$$. You know a chain case costs them about $150 in parts. TKI will have that into a belt, and then you have to add in all the other parts. Even if a belt drive could be had for $300, the bean counters would not allow it. I still think a raw sled that a mfg could sell for $8000 would be a home run. Most guys add shocks, exhaust, vents, tracks, skis, seats, hoods,bars, etc anyway.

S
Mar 10, 2014
Colorado Springs
It's all about $$$$. You know a chain case costs them about $150 in parts. TKI will have that into a belt, and then you have to add in all the other parts. Even if a belt drive could be had for $300, the bean counters would not allow it. I still think a raw sled that a mfg could sell for $8000 would be a home run. Most guys add shocks, exhaust, vents, tracks, skis, seats, hoods,bars, etc anyway.

That's no sh*t ^^^
I could have bought a base model M instead of one of the higher end models because I literally replaced all that stuff and more.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
The 17 mountain cat is your base chassis. They will add the new ctec-2 engine in 853cc which comes in 14 lbs lighter than the current suzuki platform. This engine is also about 3" narrower. Running boards are further modified from the mountain cat raised and angled to make them perform narrower on sidehills. Body panels because of the narrower engine and new pipe setup are significantly slimmer both in appearance and in actual measurement (1.95" narrower than the mountain cat at widest point). Overall the plastics, intake, and led lights are 11 lbs lighter than the current setup. TKI is in negotiations to build belt drives for these which if that deal is completed in time is a 9 lb reduction plus another 4 lbs in reduced oil capacity. Because the new engine is so much more efficient the fuel tank was reduced by 1.5 gallons which equates to 12 lbs lost. Snowflap, bumpers, and hardware are shaved for an additional 2.5 lbs lost.

Its not all good news tho. Because of the additional power output from the engine the pipe and muffler did require a little extra material so they came in 4 lbs heavier than the 17.

Total net weight loss of 48.5 lbs. Thats a RTR weight of 508 (20 lbs lighter than the 3" axys). Also because the ecu can be easily reprogramed you can do an pipe kit for just the cost of the pipe and be at 490 lbs ready to ride.

I cannot wait to get mine!!!

Lmao. One can dream.....

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
The 17 mountain cat is your base chassis. They will add the new ctec-2 engine in 853cc which comes in 14 lbs lighter than the current suzuki platform. This engine is also about 3" narrower. Running boards are further modified from the mountain cat raised and angled to make them perform narrower on sidehills. Body panels because of the narrower engine and new pipe setup are significantly slimmer both in appearance and in actual measurement (1.95" narrower than the mountain cat at widest point). Overall the plastics, intake, and led lights are 11 lbs lighter than the current setup. TKI is in negotiations to build belt drives for these which if that deal is completed in time is a 9 lb reduction plus another 4 lbs in reduced oil capacity. Because the new engine is so much more efficient the fuel tank was reduced by 1.5 gallons which equates to 12 lbs lost. Snowflap, bumpers, and hardware are shaved for an additional 2.5 lbs lost.

Not clear to me at all why this isn't achievable. The reality is it is achievable and between Poo and Doo they've already done this. My Axys hood weighs 11 freaking pounds less than my '15 PC. Good place to start. It would take most of this to interest me in a new cat given what's available from the competition. Jakey boy's dream really just keeps cat current.

Last edited:
N
Sep 16, 2012
A direct injected 800 would be great, don't need a 850, I have no small penis syndrome;) 800 is a perfect motor for me for riding in the trees. Just hope the motor wars don't start up like the track length wars did. See quite a few 174 holdovers, seems all the people who begged for them to make one decided they weren't really what they wanted.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
A direct injected 800 would be great, don't need a 850, I have no small penis syndrome;) 800 is a perfect motor for me for riding in the trees. Just hope the motor wars don't start up like the track length wars did. See quite a few 174 holdovers, seems all the people who begged for them to make one decided they weren't really what they wanted.

Stock 800 is perfect? I think you mean you DO have small pp syndrome.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
any 800 series 2 stroke motor built by cat is a scary thought. The suzuki engines have been a cat strong point for a long time. The 900 king cat twin rocked, and the 800 m series twin was great too, both of which i had. Throw a home grown redneck engineered motor in there and thats not gonna be pretty. one can only hope this is a bad dream, and they will look to yamaha for their 2 stroke needs.

S

snowcannon

Aug 20, 2015
Shuswap, BC
any 800 series 2 stroke motor built by cat is a scary thought. The suzuki engines have been a cat strong point for a long time. The 900 king cat twin rocked, and the 800 m series twin was great too, both of which i had. Throw a home grown redneck engineered motor in there and thats not gonna be pretty. one can only hope this is a bad dream, and they will look to yamaha for their 2 stroke needs.

What makes you say that? I believe their in-house 600 is doing pretty good.

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan

POO sells more than anybody and up till last year there motors didn't hold up so well. Marketing would help Cat. There home built 600 is a great motor and they've been working a long time on the Zuke replacement. BTW zuke just built the design that Cat engineers designed and developed!

Last edited:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
The new Poo motor isn't proven yet, wasn't until the 12 season that the pro motor started blowing up left and right.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
What makes you say that? I believe their in-house 600 is doing pretty good.

Just because the 600 is solid doesent mean an 800 will be, totally different animal. Look at polaris, their 600 has always been good....800 not so much over the years....pretty good now, after YEARS (decades?) of experimenting on the customer

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i've been hearing cat bankrupt rumors for many years, usually from a poo guy with a friend on the board of directors....:face-icon-small-dis

Premium Features