• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

pDrive CLUTCH ... ANY HIGH RES PHOTOS OUT THERE

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The pDrive looks like some cool tech.

Trying to wrap my head around it.

Any really good pics of this clutch... a good one of the cutaway model of the pDrive in the vids... high res.

Thx in advance
MH.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I would also like to see some of them. Wish they had a computer generated video describing the function like they did with the new motor.

F

freekweet mods

Feb 3, 2008
I am very interested also-I need one to take apart and study.For those who haven't spent much time riding a sled with fixed roller moving ramp the shift characteristic is going to weird them out a little.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
I am very interested also-I need one to take apart and study.For those who haven't spent much time riding a sled with fixed roller moving ramp the shift characteristic is going to weird them out a little.

A friend of mine wrenches for a local snocross team running Pdrive equipped Lynx sleds this winter. He says they work well but requires some special tools to work with. The springs are also completely new so no old BRP/Poo/Yam/Comet springs you might have saved fits. Spring preload can however be adjusted by adding/removing shims.

The clutch, as we sadly haven gotten used to by now, have to be completely removed from the crank to be disassembled. So no more splines in the outer sheave unfortunately.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
So what does the "no maintenance" claim really mean? I put 2,500 Mtn miles on my sled and its as good as new?

Good question. Will the springs (primary and sec) still lose tension at 1000-1500 miles? Belt dust is abrasive...how will this effect life for those that never clean vs the guy that is meticulous? I'm sure it will be a HUGE step better than the TRA when it comes to wear and life. The last few years have been much better but these big twins were very hard on clutches. This new 850, if it is smoother and truer than the 800 should also help with clutch and belt life.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Aren't the TRA ramps cured in the other direction? (concave for the TRA... convex for the pDrive?/)

It's been a while since I've opened up a TRA... so this is a sincere question.

attachment.php

o2bncamo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2009
wisconsin
The TRA has arms that swing against a ramp. You change the weight at the end of the arm to adjust RPM. The clicker also change RPM by changing the angle of the ramp. The ramps are concave and fixed to the cover (stationary part of the clutch).
The new clutch looks like they go rid of the arms and replaced them with a ramp. They still work in the opposite direction then every other manufacture. Ramps swing out away from motor not towards.

Premium Features