• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best turbo reeds??

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
So.. What are the best reeds? 08 800r turbo. I ran the boyseen turbo reeds in the stock cages for one year. 12-14lbs of boost a few times for a few pulls. 7lbs of boost most of the time. after a year and 700 miles or so they still looked good. the next year I ran the boyseen rage cages with turbo reeds in them. 10lbs of boost all year and about 700 miles again. I had those break on me a couple times. boyseen always replaced them no questions asked. free under warranty. A broken set of reeds can ruin your day and requires alot of work to change out. They gave me a complete new set at the begining of last season and I believe they said they were a new version with different backing plates I believe. Last year snow was terrible. I only got in 5 or 6 rides at 10lbs of boost and then the spi dual ring piston broke on me above the ring. I set the sled aside and started working on my motorcycles at that point.
So I am rebuilding my engine and was wondering what are supposed to be the best reeds to run for this year. I havn't pulled the motor apart yet. maybee the rage cage turbo reeds are still good. I am really wanting to not take my sled apart again this season though. trying to decide if I want to try the ski doo factory turbo reeds or run the boyseen turbo reeds in stock cages this year.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
So.. What are the best reeds? 08 800r turbo. I ran the boyseen turbo reeds in the stock cages for one year. 12-14lbs of boost a few times for a few pulls. 7lbs of boost most of the time. after a year and 700 miles or so they still looked good. the next year I ran the boyseen rage cages with turbo reeds in them. 10lbs of boost all year and about 700 miles again. I had those break on me a couple times. boyseen always replaced them no questions asked. free under warranty. A broken set of reeds can ruin your day and requires alot of work to change out. They gave me a complete new set at the begining of last season and I believe they said they were a new version with different backing plates I believe. Last year snow was terrible. I only got in 5 or 6 rides at 10lbs of boost and then the spi dual ring piston broke on me above the ring. I set the sled aside and started working on my motorcycles at that point.
So I am rebuilding my engine and was wondering what are supposed to be the best reeds to run for this year. I havn't pulled the motor apart yet. maybee the rage cage turbo reeds are still good. I am really wanting to not take my sled apart again this season though. trying to decide if I want to try the ski doo factory turbo reeds or run the boyseen turbo reeds in stock cages this year.

spi are cast pistons arent they?, seems everybody has best luck with forged, or wiseco's, i tried cast in my sled, kaboom..... read another guy put some mcb's in his, which where cast, boom, put in forged and well, no issues

and reeds, im not sure, ive just ran boyesen super stock, put over 1200 km on them at 5 pounds, this winter i doubled up with stock reeds i had sitting around and plan for 8 psi or 10, i noticed a few reeds had a small chip on them, so thats why i figured to double up

TWARD700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Seattle WA
I'm running the Mcb dual ring pistons in my turbo running 10/12lbs of boost no issues in 1200 miles also running the boysen turbo reeds that are trimmed in the stock cages no issues with those either.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
I'm running the Mcb dual ring pistons in my turbo running 10/12lbs of boost no issues in 1200 miles also running the boysen turbo reeds that are trimmed in the stock cages no issues with those either.

Hmmm, imagine that! Must be the set-up. Maybe no deto? hmmmm....

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT

I've run the SPI single ring (cast) for quite a few years now. Seems like more ppl having issues with the dual ring than the single ring design...

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I put a new set of spi single ring t-mollys in when I installed the turbo. Ran the first year with no problems. at the very end of the first year it seized the mag side piston. let it cool down. started it again and rode the rest of the day. luckily I decided to grease the crank. when I tore it down the mag side crank seal was shot. Put new single ring spi t-mollys in at the begining of the second year and rode all year without any problems. The third year. Last year. I put a new set of spi dual ring pistons in and the clutch side piston broke off on the exhaust side about 1/3 of the way around. I ran the same boost pressure, same mix of fuel, same tune, etc.. that I ran the previous year without any problems. I know of too many friends I ride with that have seized wiseco's to give them a try. Going back to single ring spi t-mollys this year.
I run forged pistons in my four strokes. I will stick with cast in two strokes.

A
Dec 19, 2011
I don't get all the bad wiseco problems with these sleds. I have raced my brains out in motocross 2 stroke and 4 all wiseco. I know guys with sleds that have them and it seems like there is a 50/50 of blowing up. Any engine i have ever worked on, if wiseco made a piston for it, I put it in with great results. The only downside is they take longer to warm up. other then that they take a hell of a beating and outlast cast considerably i wounder why there are so many 800r failures with wisecos:crutch:

for the reeds. consider some sort of intercooler. killing the intake charge heat would extent reed life.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I don't get all the bad wiseco problems with these sleds. I have raced my brains out in motocross 2 stroke and 4 all wiseco. I know guys with sleds that have them and it seems like there is a 50/50 of blowing up. Any engine i have ever worked on, if wiseco made a piston for it, I put it in with great results. The only downside is they take longer to warm up. other then that they take a hell of a beating and outlast cast considerably i wounder why there are so many 800r failures with wisecos:crutch:

for the reeds. consider some sort of intercooler. killing the intake charge heat would extent reed life.

It's not that they make a BAD piston, its just that they are typically too tight for a bore. Engine builders that use them will usually request a bigger tolerance so they don't seize.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
Looser in the bore so you get piston slap and the skirts break off. I have had this happen to two friends. One in a 03 800 rmk had it happen twice. One friend in a 05 rev 800. the rev the piston pieces fell down in the bottom end, got wedged inbetween the crank and cases and broke a hole in his cases.
A friend with a 1100 or 1150 ( I forgot what size it was) bmp big bore kit in a rt1000 with bmp's crank shop twin pipes. He has had lots of built high hp drag race cars. He balanced his pistons after ... it would take forever to get into this big mess.. bmp sent him a crank shop wiseco piston and a bmp spec wiseco piston. two different piston designs and 5 grams of weight difference between the two. called bmp to complain and was told to just run it.. WTF seriously.. So after he gets the right piston. a matching set of bmp spec wiseco pistons, checks ring end gap, (was told by bmp to just run them and didn't have a ring end gap spec) checks piston to wall clearance, etc, etc... stares at his egts the whole time, messes with his boondocker fuel box every couple min, checks coolant temps on his racepac, doesn't give it full throttle, etc, etc. babies the **** out of it. after riding for 8 miles without a break (fully warmed up) the first little hill we have to go up it seizes up within the first 20 seconds or so. spend the rest of the day trying to tow his sled out. sends pistons, cylinder etc. back to bmp and was told it was a cold seizure. Wouldn't warranty it, but give him a good deal on fixing it.
Like I said. Just too many friends have bad experiance with wiseco to give them a try. I have had several friends put the spi t mollys in their xp's without any problems.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Looser in the bore so you get piston slap and the skirts break off. I have had this happen to two friends. One in a 03 800 rmk had it happen twice. One friend in a 05 rev 800. the rev the piston pieces fell down in the bottom end, got wedged inbetween the crank and cases and broke a hole in his cases.
A friend with a 1100 or 1150 ( I forgot what size it was) bmp big bore kit in a rt1000 with bmp's crank shop twin pipes. He has had lots of built high hp drag race cars. He balanced his pistons after ... it would take forever to get into this big mess.. bmp sent him a crank shop wiseco piston and a bmp spec wiseco piston. two different piston designs and 5 grams of weight difference between the two. called bmp to complain and was told to just run it.. WTF seriously.. So after he gets the right piston. a matching set of bmp spec wiseco pistons, checks ring end gap, (was told by bmp to just run them and didn't have a ring end gap spec) checks piston to wall clearance, etc, etc... stares at his egts the whole time, messes with his boondocker fuel box every couple min, checks coolant temps on his racepac, doesn't give it full throttle, etc, etc. babies the **** out of it. after riding for 8 miles without a break (fully warmed up) the first little hill we have to go up it seizes up within the first 20 seconds or so. spend the rest of the day trying to tow his sled out. sends pistons, cylinder etc. back to bmp and was told it was a cold seizure. Wouldn't warranty it, but give him a good deal on fixing it.
Like I said. Just too many friends have bad experiance with wiseco to give them a try. I have had several friends put the spi t mollys in their xp's without any problems.

While I agree with alot of your statement, there is alot of people running them in BB kits, etc. Sometimes it only takes .001" to make them not seize or rattle....very fine line. That said I've been very happy with my SPI single ring T-moly's.

The 1000 was plagued with no thermostat. Some guys were machining heads to accept a T-stat, while others were removing the rear flap cooler just to get them up to operating temps.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
My buddy checked into having a houseing made to put a thermostat in. I can't remember why, but he ended up not doing it. I think he ended up putting a restrictor or something in the water line to maintain the correct coolant temp. I can't remember what exactly he did. I know he was always watching them on his racepac.
I have one of the engine tech billet stat housings with the older 05 or so rev 800 thermostat in it on my 08 xp.

Sorry to get off topic. My cylinders are here. I already have my pistons, and new crank. Time to take the engine out and rebuild it. Wish I wasn't so damn buisy with work.... Guess I need to make money to pay for all the toys. Looks like I might end up ordering a set of the boyseen turbo reeds for the stock cages.

G
Apr 23, 2008
5.2 miles on brand B reeds and she was gurggling like a snorring drunk.

450 miles so far on doubled oem petals and still running good.

G
Apr 23, 2008
LOL.. No Paul,, 3 psi...LMAO'

Yup poaltry little pump gas turbo ,,,LMAO sure they are,,,,

e torch bd system.. same as every other one out today.. More lean sputter pops and flutters than an old pinto geting rear ended, just like all the videos pf these big foots on you tube..

the double oem petals are softer and pop when pressure tested at 3 psi less so they are flowing more air than the other brand.. that airflow reduced the gurggles and allowed easier consistent box settings for the owner..

The head doo sent down is the original they offered me back in 08 pre production to evalutate for boosted e torchs.. they still have no data as they admit they have never sent an engineer out to even ride a turbo e torch.

Premium Features