• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro handling

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
While riding one for the first time I was trying to get used to countersteering with it when it caught a ski and dumped me and rolled over.:eek: Is it the ski or the steering? The snow was crusted and I was only digging the ski in about 4". I'm thinking the stock ski is too aggressive for the snow conditions. Any thoughts? ;)

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Did you say the snow was crusted? I dare say any sled will handle poorly in those types of conditions. Try riding an XP with snow like that. And yes, I own both a nytro and an XP.

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
handling

Yes I own both also and the snow was soft enough that the XP would not do this so quickly. I want to blame it on the skis, but without changing them I won't know for sure.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
I ride a Nytro and it will dump you off faster than other chassis. Probably the front heavy nature of the sled...it really doesn't like the set up snow.

Mountainblue

Premium Member
Dec 29, 2007
Alberta
I have the same problem with my 2008 Nytro MTX. What is the fix, skies, control arms, spindal change out like they are putting on the 2010. Changed Castor angle and Camber. If am one has a fix please post. :mad::confused:
I am not very happy with the way Yamaha has adressed this problem as it seem like there is a lot of people asking the same questions.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
The stock Yammy mountain skis bite/hook pretty hard in crusty snow. I believe it is because they have a very deep keel. However they will also side-hill like there is no tomorrow! Like most things there is a trade-off. I perfer the stock mountain ski for most conditions.

Wally

Premium Member
Nov 2, 2001
handling

I was in Island Park the first week of Mar.

First time out with my 09 Nytro MTX.

The track spins real easy, making it real easy to side hill. We didn't have crusted snow though. Even crossing old tracks I could maintain my line.

I thought the handling was great. When we got some powder though my o six Summit X would walk circles around the Nytro. The running boards are continually full of snow. This is a bigger problem than any thing else with this sled. It also has a vibration that puts my right hand to sleep. The sled has no storage anywhere from the factory. I bought the shovel bag, the exhaust melts snow on the bag, and then the zipper won't open.

A good boondocken sled. Hope the 2010 fixes some of these issues.:)

Premium Features