• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

YTZ7S Battery on a Nytro

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
Just put one of these on my son's Nytro and noticed the oil light comes on after starting. Checked the cranking voltage indoors and it's really low when cranking (under 9V) which appears to be the culprit with the oil light as it only does it with the small battery. Recharged and tested the battery which tests fine and leave it outside. At about -17C it won't even start:eek: I have a YTZ10 for mine as I have a couple of electronics on board. Wondering if anyone else has had issues with the small battery, the sled is brand new so maybe the motor is a little tight yet but it even has lowered compression. I keep hearing how lot's of people are running these and find it hard to believe no one is having problems.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sly,

I can't confirm on the Nytro but i have had the 7S on my Apex for two seasons and it has never givin me an ounce of trouble. Not sure whats going on but maybe someone else can chime in.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Depending on where you bought your battery in AB chances are the battery itself is NFG. Last season I dedided to replace my 7S just in case so I bought a brand new one and put it in my turbo sled. When we got to the staging area the battery was dead from the cold. I think its not that popular of a size so they sit on the shelves too long. The dud I had was an Interstate. They replaced it no questions asked with a new one. Here in Calgary Interstate has dropped carying the 7S because they weren't selling enough of them and they all went bad on the shelf. Take the battery back to where you bought it and have it load tested. The 7S is more than enough for the Nytro, I just put one in mine no problems.

M5

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Sly,

What oil are you using? Kind of sounds like you are using something pretty thick... Should be like 0W-30.... Just a guess though.. That is if m5-'s solution doesn't work..

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
We are using the Yamaha 0W30 oil. As for the battery, it's fresh out of the box. I did a load test on it and it passed but I have more batteries so I am going to try another just to satisy my curiosity. I put a 10 in on another one and it sat outside last night in -26C and started today. (cranked a little slow, LOL)

S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
I put a 7s in my Nytro. -24C here and the sled turned over with no problems. I imagine it is a few degrees warmer in my garage, but never the less, it fired right up.

M
Jan 14, 2004
We are using the Yamaha 0W30 oil. As for the battery, it's fresh out of the box. I did a load test on it and it passed but I have more batteries so I am going to try another just to satisy my curiosity. I put a 10 in on another one and it sat outside last night in -26C and started today. (cranked a little slow, LOL)

The battery I had was right out of the box new as well and tested OK too. It just plain failed on the first day.

M5

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
Maybe we just opened a dud. Will try another one and see. Cold snap is good for testing them, that's for sure. I had heard of lot's of guys on here using the 7S with no problems. Having lots of "fun" with new builds this year, what with all the leaky gas tanks that were a pita, then the rails that were made too short........ At least it's kept us of the icy trails and giving time to get some snow.:rolleyes:

NytroNorm

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Stoon, SK
How are you guys mounting the smaller 7S battery? Im sure its not too hard but I would rather just copy someone elses work.

Last edited:
S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
Here is a bracket I bought from CR Racing.

It uses one of the bolt locations for the oil tank, and you also drill a 1/4" hole through the side of the bulk head and fasten with the hex cap screw shown in the picture.

IMG_0817.jpg

Premium Features