• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

boost leaks...

T

tube

Dec 3, 2007
Stony plain
i am trying to test my system using a coolant leak tester. I blocked off the exaust pipe with a plate and gasket and my coolant tester adapter fit nicley into the charge tube inlet almost a perfectly, then I clamped it in tight.

I cant get more than 5 psi pressure through the system and I do hear a small leak under the thottle bodies. Its the worlds smallest leak, but you can hear it fainlty.

Is a leak this small a problem? I was seeing boost spikes up to 17, but I also had an exaust gasket leak which I fixed.

Should I be investigating this further? Should the system pressure up to 10-15#'s with a coolant tester?

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I get plumbing fittings from lowes. put a rubber cap on the end of the exhaust pipe and put a ruber coupler on the intake of the turbo with a piece of pvc and pvc cap. Drill a hole in the pvc cap and put a rubber valve stem in it.

get a squirt bottle full of soap and bubbles and squirt every thing down. With a decent air compressor you should see alot more then 5psi. If it doesn't go above 5psi have some one hold the hose on the end while you squirt it down. Also make sure you don't put too much pressure to it. I usually try to not go over 8 or so more psi then the highest pressure you run. It is also a good way to check if stuff is going to blow apart.

Last edited:
T

tube

Dec 3, 2007
Stony plain
got all boost leaks fixed except for a small leak from the pipe to y-pipe donut. I already run the 12 spring setup. Has anyone used silly cone on the y-pipe donut or is that a silly waste of time??

W

WKR

Nov 27, 2007
western canada
got all boost leaks fixed except for a small leak from the pipe to y-pipe donut. I already run the 12 spring setup. Has anyone used silly cone on the y-pipe donut or is that a silly waste of time??

Just JB weld it (hahahahah)!!!!!! or consult your proctologist? hope its sorted for your next trip.:D

R
Mar 21, 2008
Leak

Take badass1000's advise and try that. Look at your pipe, sometimes they will split on the welded seam. Check the exhaust donut, the turbo builds so much pressure that it has to try and escape. Check hose, broken reeds, throttle bodies and every gasket. Goood Luck. Bo

Premium Features