• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

NEW VIDEOS: 2017 Ski-Doo P-Drive Clutch, Engine and Forged Crank

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
"One piece solid crankshaft" ???? (second video)... I'm sure the engineers were wincing at that one... :face-icon-small-win

More power from the stator...but less magnetic drag?? The physics don't seem to work for that... (I could be wrong... and would love to learn how this is possible?)

The Armored ring lands seem like a great adoption for this engine.

Dave, thanks for posting that up!!

I may sound like a "doubting debbie"... but I'm actually excited about this motor.... It seems like an engineering marvel.

Austrian designed/built??

It is a 2 piece forged crank shaft.....and that is what Rich says...cheers dave

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
I would hope it is not Austrian built, that would be a huge turnoff for many people who have dealt with Austrian engineering in the industrial world. Austria and Germany alike build a bunch of over engineered garbage the is born to fail. However this new crank and engine design has me curious, I may have to throw a leg over one of these next year. Good on BRP to keep pushing forward.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
I dunno, I'd take the hand built 6.2 in my AMG over any 6.2 assembly line built engine out of a Camaro/Corvette etc...

snoluver

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Any additional info on the new cylinder coating process? Seems like steel and aluminum would be in direct contact with each other? How did they get around the dissimilar metals issue?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Any additional info on the new cylinder coating process? Seems like steel and aluminum would be in direct contact with each other? How did they get around the dissimilar metals issue?

Google "Plasma PTWA" .... Ford has been using this "FlameSpray" process for a few years... along with other engine builders.

A recent Cat marine Diesel I installed used this technology.

http://www.tstcoatings.com/plasma_spray.html

head5a.png
head3a.png

Last edited:
J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise

Actually dissimilar metals can work really well together, especially when they slide against each other. As for the steel bonding to the aluminum with a plasma arc....this removes the oxide layers very effectively and coats/melts the steel to the aluminum. If you can remove the oxide layer, you can bond just about anything. And as for similar metals sliding next to each other...not good. They molecular structure is too similar and will literally rub-off from one surface to the next because it fills the voids so efficiently...because they are like each other. Want a junk motor? Look to your lawn mower...that is aluminum piston on aluminum cylinders...smallest issue and it melts down.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
My buddy, and engineer at Ford, said that the PTWA cylinder surfaces hold oil better than Nicasil.

I called him over lunch... he said the only concern he had for sleds is corrosion in the off season.

I believe that DOO has a built in "fogging" program for the E-TEC engines that would minimize any issues with this?

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Are we finally getting back to a bore-cylinder coating that will 'break-in" some MH?
Something between cast steel and Nicasil?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
It's still pretty hard...but my understanding is... yes.

In the vintage boating world... I know of a Rolls Royce V12 that had it's bores repaired using this... thick coating on the steel block to build up from too many over-bores.

P

Peevo

Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
You can have a lower drag stator by using more efficient winding density...thus allowing a smaller diameter stator or less magnets for the same volume. One can ger better winding density through thinner insulation or square wire. Less torque needed for the same output...which means less drag.

Have no clue how the generator is designed. I'm starting to suspect there are some electromagnetos too. Sound advanced but it's pretty simple. It's possible to control the generators output with a small magnetising current. They have known how to do it for more than 100 years but I think the power electronics to handle this catched up in the eighties. You find this on some road cars. Wouldn't surprise me if Rotax went this route.

I can be totally wrong on this one. Because if the case is like above you need another small generator to start the main generator up. On the other side that is less permanent magnetic drag.

G

Gobig510

Nov 26, 2010
Colorado
It is super cool to see all of this new technology in a sled, thumbs up to Doo! I hope it all works on the mountain. Should be a pretty killer sled.

I wonder if the break-in process will be any different? The steel ring seating against a steel coated cylinder? Would maybe take longer to break in? I have no idea

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Maintenance FREE clutch for the life of the vehicle ?? .... Does that mean you never have to buy a new primary spring for the life of the vehicle ?? .... You never have to clean the clutch ?? Dirt & Grim build up will never effect clutch performance. OMG a maintenance FREE primary clutch.

I think I'm going to get real drunk tonight.

DPG

Premium Features