• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

timbersled D7 or pro

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
anyone with experience riding many hours on both? the pros look awesome and sound awesome from the testimonials, but would just putting a rear skid on my D7 make it perform similar or close to a pro? (besides the 700/800 power dfference?) a skid would be much cheaper for me than a pro. and when my engine does get tired, i could do a 777 carls kit and freshin it up with more displacement = more power...i do trails to get to the power, meadows, hills, trees, drops etc...

thanks

1RMDave

Aug 23, 2010
This has been covered a few times, you're better off with the pro. Its better balanced and lighter. If you already really like your sled then keep it and do it up!

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
While I have no time on a Pro or a fully Timbersled equipped IQ, I will tell you I went the path you're thinking about on my '09 700 RMK 155", a 2010 version of the Mtn Tamer w/Float2 shocks, 38" Barkbusters-Float2 shock combo and SLP's 777 kit. I rode for a few months last season on the Barkbuster/Float2 combo and love the narrower stance. I'll find out in a few months how the Mtn Tamer/Float2 combo and 777 kit work out.

I thought about trading the 700 in for a 2012 800 RMK 155", but it cost me a bit less to do all of the mods I had planned, and some not planned. Would the 2012 be a better sled, I have no idea, but I'm thinking my 09 is going to rock. Oh, the '09 is paid for!!!!:face-icon-small-hap

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
You can't make your IQ ride like a PRO. The Pro is that much better of a sled. I really like the IQ sleds myself. In fact, let me know if you are selling yours! I'm trying to find one for a super good deal.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
You can't make your IQ ride like a PRO. The Pro is that much better of a sled. I really like the IQ sleds myself. In fact, let me know if you are selling yours! I'm trying to find one for a super good deal.

The only seat time I have on a Pro is the test ride while at the 2011 Expo in West this spring, so I have no way to judge the differences of my Timbersled/Fox equipped IQ RAW to a 2012 Pro-Chassis. IF I were to buy a 2013 Poo next next year, it would be the std 155" RMK (extra cooler) and upgrade the shocks front and rear.

As for the $$$ spent upgrading vs. buying new, I knew I wouldn't get crap for my '09 and would probably have to come up with another $8000+ for a 2012. With everything I've bought since Jan 2011, I think I'm around $6500 for all of the aftermarket parts & OEM replacement parts during this summer's mods. Plus I've recouped some of that $$$ spent by selling the complete IFS, complete rear skid, seat, cyl head, and am now working a sale for the SLP pipe for stock 700 CFI engines, and the 700 cylinders.

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
anyone with experience riding many hours on both? the pros look awesome and sound awesome from the testimonials, but would just putting a rear skid on my D7 make it perform similar or close to a pro? (besides the 700/800 power dfference?) a skid would be much cheaper for me than a pro. and when my engine does get tired, i could do a 777 carls kit and freshin it up with more displacement = more power...i do trails to get to the power, meadows, hills, trees, drops etc...

thanks

ill see how my mod 700 compares to the new pro and proclimb for some reason i think my 700 will comeout all rite, pick yourself up a set of slp race twins if you can find them they run hard

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
The mod m8 and m1000's I have had walked on D7 and D8's, still good sleds but just never happened, could be other factors and I'm not ragging on the poos just my experience, the stock pro is a better sled then all of them unless you have boost and a good suspension. I would not run a mtn tamer either, kmod is where its at. Also a mod D7 wont have a warranty the pro will and you wont be putting extra $$$ in it.

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
im still only a season onto the iq off a gen II and this change is awesome and i love the iq. since im only a year into the iq i have yet to see a down side. it does everything awesome when compared to my old sled. i rode a pro last year for about 2-3 hours and the power band was awesome, but at same time, maybe it was the snow condition, i didnt see a huge difference between the iq and pro other than power. maybe cuz im used to my sled, but my honest thought was... the pro is not different enough from my D7 to make me spend the money on a pro..yet.... now, with all the reviews still coming on about how great the pro is and i love the look, i think i want one, but again its spendy and i didnt feel the $12,000 difference between the 2. im not looking to out perform anyone, i just want a awesome fun sled to ride and right now my D7 is that sled considering im coming off a gen II and the D7 is less than half the $$ of a pro.

honestly i think i want a 09-10 assault for a third sled, but dont want that 800 motor.

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
The mod m8 and m1000's I have had walked on D7 and D8's, still good sleds but just never happened, could be other factors and I'm not ragging on the poos just my experience, the stock pro is a better sled then all of them unless you have boost and a good suspension. I would not run a mtn tamer either, kmod is where its at. Also a mod D7 wont have a warranty the pro will and you wont be putting extra $$$ in it.

Whats warranty if you cant ride your sled or ruin a trip does the warranty pay for the lost fuel,time,hotel,wear &tear on your vehical????? My buddy had a mod m8 with 174 he got spanked alot by a d7 and xrs both with 174s only sleds i have come across to beat my d7 was a xp with 170+hp and mod 1000 with 174 i have no prob giveing credit when its due but iam not impressed with m8s at all now with boost that might change my mind. I was even beating the m8 in a drag when he was running a 153 and i was 174. But then again lots of varibles and slp's twin piped d7 made over 170+hp and clutching plays a huge role " no clutch kits for me":face-icon-small-ton

Iam not knocking the pro at all i actually think he should get the pro if he can afford it sounds like a dream sled to me just dont like the blowing up part yeah its got warranty but theres going to be 12 other sleds ahead of you and hopefully you didnt ruin a trip

Last edited:

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
07dragon seriously look for a set of twins they are not like the carb days where you gotta mess with them every 1000yards they are pull and go dont listen to the old guys telling you to stay with a single i have them on a 174 dragon 700 its the most oddball combo but it works. I had to go up 4numbers on my mainjet on the attitude box if that tells ya anything:face-icon-small-ton you need fuel to make power i ran a slp single i didnt have to touch my box at all it was actually a lil on the rich side up high:face-icon-small-sad

1RMDave

Aug 23, 2010
I would love to trade up to a pro but I don't think I'd get much for mine. Mind you I haven't ridden it yet with the front suspension or timbersled skid.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The three big things on the pro for me are (once you factor out the suspension)

1) steering
2) Width of the cab
3) Lower CG of engine and jackshaft

The weight is a bit of a factor... but not as much as you would think when riding.

The remainder of the geometry of the sled and rider position is a brought over from the IQ

In technical riding, the PRO is hands down the winner... a logical evolution of the IQ Platform where Polaris incorporated the best of what they had and took it to another level in balance and feel. In other words... Polaris didn't "Throw the baby out with the bathwater"

Cheers,
Eric

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Whats warranty if you cant ride your sled or ruin a trip does the warranty pay for the lost fuel,time,hotel,wear &tear on your vehical????? My buddy had a mod m8 with 174 he got spanked alot by a d7 and xrs both with 174s only sleds i have come across to beat my d7 was a xp with 170+hp and mod 1000 with 174 i have no prob giveing credit when its due but iam not impressed with m8s at all now with boost that might change my mind. I was even beating the m8 in a drag when he was running a 153 and i was 174. But then again lots of varibles and slp's twin piped d7 made over 170+hp and clutching plays a huge role " no clutch kits for me":face-icon-small-ton

Iam not knocking the pro at all i actually think he should get the pro if he can afford it sounds like a dream sled to me just dont like the blowing up part yeah its got warranty but theres going to be 12 other sleds ahead of you and hopefully you didnt ruin a trip

Riding style will play a big part, I no longer look to set the high mark and don't care for a 174, along with the huge factor of setup and tuning. I also stated "mod M8's" that means running the way I think they should not someones clobber job, cats are pretty easy to make not work but still very reliable. The mod m1000 is a given. The 07-08 m8's prob not so much maybe they will keep up stock vs stock. But my point is the pro is the better sled, I was only giving examples to compare, ie on all the NA mod cats I have had against any dragon less boost I have flat beat, even a few on boost but there where factors involved, but the pro is better. The mod m1000 still takes it sometimes depending on snow conditions but the fun factor of the pro is pretty sweet. If your going to ruin a trip if you have a failure the d7 may be more solid but then I would just go with a cat, the pro motor is not the same as the previous 800 and may hold up better also. For most it will never matter there are only a few of us that mod the heII out of everything.

For my riding style (extreme backcountry) if you took all the 2011 sleds to the hill and said pick on for today I would run to the PRO. any thing older isn't worth bringing up the newer sleds are better. I know some poeple that can't tell the difference between any of them and if you don't push it you wont.

Last edited:

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
Riding style will play a big part, I no longer look to set the high mark and don't care for a 174, along with the huge factor of setup and tuning. I also stated "mod M8's" that means running the way I think they should not someones clobber job, cats are pretty easy to make not work but still very reliable. The mod m1000 is a given. The 07-08 m8's prob not so much maybe they will keep up stock vs stock. But my point is the pro is the better sled, I was only giving examples to compare, ie on all the NA mod cats I have had against any dragon less boost I have flat beat, even a few on boost but there where factors involved, but the pro is better. The mod m1000 still takes it sometimes depending on snow conditions but the fun factor of the pro is pretty sweet. If your going to ruin a trip if you have a failure the d7 may be more solid but then I would just go with a cat, the pro motor is not the same as the previous 800 and may hold up better also. For most it will never matter there are only a few of us that mod the heII out of everything.

For my riding style (extreme backcountry) if you took all the 2011 sleds to the hill and said pick on for today I would run to the PRO. any thing older isn't worth bringing up the newer sleds are better. I know some poeple that can't tell the difference between any of them and if you don't push it you wont.

EXTREEEEEEEEM BA RIGHT HERE ^^^^^^^

sandorsnow

Lifetime Membership
Oct 28, 2009
utah
I've got a set of slp race twins and boondocker nos for a d7 for sale if you're interested.

I ran the nos last year (loved it) and never installed the twins.

I love the sled, but can't leave well enough alone, every year I change it up a little (or a lot).

This year I'm going with a turbo.

pm me if you're interested

I would like a new pro, but I love what I got.

Premium Features