• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

track and rear suspenion questions

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
i am pondering doing a few thing to my D7 to make it perform better, and lose weight, while not completely breaking the bank. so here is what i am thinking, what is your intake on doing these mods and are these good mods or will they make it weak or any other cons.

153 power claw: local dealer quoted me $950 for new, and read it should drop 8-9 pounds. i would also need the drivers. which drivers? and is that all?

Drop-n-roll: get better approach angle and get ontop of the powder better. probably does not lose weight, but helps deep snow performance and is MUCH cheaper than a complete rear skid.

ice scratchers: i have the wheels now, and i can imagen the scratchers will lose a little weight. i believe i heard about 3 lbs. but will they keep me running cool and any cons against taking the wheels off for some scratchers?

2010 rails: looking at the 2010 dragon brochure, it says the new rail design is lighter, and strong, but it is really as strong as the rails that came in 07-08? i have heard different stories. any idea how much weight loss i could be looking at? might not be enough lose to justify doing the swap.

So, all together, the track will gain performance and lose weight, while the D&R should increase performance. the scratchers would lose a few lbs (hopefully) while keeping me running cool, and the rails would lighten up the rear a little more too. i dont know how much the rails would lighten, but i dont want to sacrifice strength either. and i dont know if they would be worth the amount they might cost.

these are just a few ideas i thought of to lose weight, increase performance while saving a lot of money from going to a complete rear skid like the timbersled or holz.

whats your thoughts? does anyone know the answers to any of the questions i had above?

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
you got some nice ideas there and i think you are on the right track

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Arct...wmobile_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ade12c048

the only thing i can really tell you for sure is about the stock bogey wheels...if you take them off and are running on some hard pack and you forget to put down the scratchers you can burn up your hifax due to lack of lubrication. I have scratchers on my 09 and i just left the bogey wheels on... also if you get standard scratchers make sure you dont back up with them down...if you do it will ruin them... you can buy these and they are reverse compatible

http://www.firstplaceparts.com/15-6430.html?gclid=COeqr_qx5aYCFQO8KgodTBeC2Q

as far as the rails go...the 09 up rails should be just as strong as the previous 07-08 rails...although i would not waste the money unless you found a good used pair for a good price...although they do look way more trick than the 07-08 rails IMO

just my 2 cents

G

green_denali

Dec 14, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Definitely do the power claw track change, I just got my first ride with mine on (90 duro), and it is a night & day difference, WAY better than the 5.1 track. I had to order teh drivers from Carls, which was about $200. You dont need to do a D&R for the power claw, if you were putting on a 2.5 camo extreme then teh D&R would be necessary. If you do the D&R anyway, get the FAST TRAX D&R kit.

CIMG1129.JPG CIMG1133.JPG

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
thanks guys. i thought the same thing about the rails. the new ones look sweet, but are probably not cheap and drop minimal pounds.

the scratchers.... i understand about forgetting to put them down... is it bad to always have them down? i think i would be able to remember to put them down, but i am forgetful.

the D&R would be used to get a better approach angle, but maybe i can just do the powerclaw first and see if i still feel i need the D&R. so far i have rode some deep stuff and only sunk her twice in 500 miles. so the D&R will wait till after the track and i see if i want it or not.

lastly the track...thanks for the link. are all power claws the same? or are there better ones? and green_denali what ALL did you need to change over for the power claw to work? what length? if you are longer than 155, is everything you changed the same for a 155 sled? thanks and sorry for all the questions

H

highmarkco

Oct 28, 2009
The scratchers will break if you keep then down when off the trail, You usually have to just flip them down when you come off the trailer and put them up when you go off trail. I forget mine sometimes too and it cost me a set everytime I do. If you buy the Stay cool ones then you can replace each one of them at 15 bucks a piece for just the scratchers and not all the hardware.

Hope this helps!

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
thanks. we jump off trail, back on to go to next spot then off tail then back on all day usually, so it sounds like a lot of flipping with them. maybe it is just easier to stay with the wheels?

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
It is a lot of flipping...once you get used to them it becomes second nature to put them up and then take them down when you get on trail.

from what i have heard the powerclaw 153 will fit on stock 155 rails with no issues...as far as differences in powerclaws...i really dont know i think the 90 duro is the one you want though

W
I have been researching many options for my 2010 800 RMK 155. The PRO's climb in powder like no other sled before them!!! They beat my sled in deep powder by alot. Here are 2 thoughts.

Put the ice scratchers on any way. They will lower your temps on hard pack 10-30 degrees and keep your rails cool. They are not hard to put down and up once you get used to them. Your temps will tell you when to put them down(over 150).

A new suspension will do more in deep western powder to reduce trenching than a new track. The PRO's have the same track and motor as my 2010 and out climb me. They are 40 pounds lighter agreed and I know that helps them. I am looking at a new suspension that will drop weight and not trench. My other option is I buy a 2012 PRO!!! The suspension is cheaper but it is a hard choice.

My 2 cents,

Idaho Bill

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
you do bring up a great point. i have not rode yet with a pro yet, kinda dont want to cuz i dont have the $$ to buy one lol. but a gret point. you guys have same track but they have better rear skid and 40 less pounds. great point. maybe a trim and screwed 5.0 track and a rear skid would be best choice. but if i dont want to spend as much, the track is probably my best bet. maybe the D&R also.

G

green_denali

Dec 14, 2009
Anchorage, AK
thanks guys. i thought the same thing about the rails. the new ones look sweet, but are probably not cheap and drop minimal pounds.

the scratchers.... i understand about forgetting to put them down... is it bad to always have them down? i think i would be able to remember to put them down, but i am forgetful.

the D&R would be used to get a better approach angle, but maybe i can just do the powerclaw first and see if i still feel i need the D&R. so far i have rode some deep stuff and only sunk her twice in 500 miles. so the D&R will wait till after the track and i see if i want it or not.

lastly the track...thanks for the link. are all power claws the same? or are there better ones? and green_denali what ALL did you need to change over for the power claw to work? what length? if you are longer than 155, is everything you changed the same for a 155 sled? thanks and sorry for all the questions

My sled is a 155 and all I did was change out the drivers, make sure you have a press, you will not be able to push them on by hand. The power claw comes in 80, 85, &90 duro, they dont make the 90 duro anymore, but there are some that are still floating around. I believe now they only are made in the 85 duro, I could be wrong. The 90 duro is better for wetter snow and the 80 is better for dryer snow, and the 85 is obviously good for both. Any duro you get this in, is still WAY better then the 5.1 stock track.

Premium Features