• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

“Expert” Edition Thoughts

XPWY

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
WY

IMO, if we just call this the “short” edition, it would sum it up pretty well. These short sleds were obviously developed by short riders. No offense to those guys, as they are great riders, but this one size fits all approach is frustrating for the tall guys. Is there anyone that’s over 6’ tall that has any input on these decisions?

Let’s run an even shorter riser than the shorter one from this year and make the tall guys bend over even more. While we are at it, let’s use smaller diameter bars for smaller sized hands. A short seat will go nicely for shorter legs to get over. Let’s also run a shorter track and not offer the 175 even though we said that we liked it the best the last few years. Let’s also try a shorter tunnel to go with it. We were also short on shocks, so you can only have one good shock and 3 crappy shocks, but we will put a nice coating on two of the crappy shocks to make it look better. That way we can still make more money on selling shocks from our parts catalog. The factory is also short on colors the year, so let’s use the same flat “lava” red and “orange crush” orange instead of using a true red, true orange, or maybe even a color that we haven’t used before at all.

Where is the love for the tall guys? I do realize that some of these things can be fixed by throwing more money and parts at it, but we shouldn’t have to do that on a brand new top end sled. The Summit X 175 that fits some of the bigger guys better will most likely be de-valued as many people will see the “expert” edition as the top of the line and the “X” as the middle of the road, hurting resale value even more. Come on doo! One size does not fit all.

Last edited:

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
It's not going to make me jump ship.

Snow4life

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2012
Aberdeen, South Dakota
Yeah I'm not sure on why you only get one piggyback shock for this sled. Keeping it lighter I suppose? And it would be nice if they would get rid of torsion springs one of these years. But overall I'm a fan of the new Summit X Expert

Last edited:

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
After seeing the "Expert", I may very will stick with my 19 175 "Amature" for another year.

1Fast68

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, WA
I'm considering either a regular X with some upgrades or a Freeride for the better shocks. At 6'3", the shorter riser, shorter seat, and baby hand grips dont appeal to me.

2014xm

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
I have been running the short riser for two years now and really helps with getting the rider weight where it needs to be to side hill steep terrain without washing out. I am 5’ 6” but I switched from a few others telling me how great it was and two of them are over 6’ so I don’t think it will be a problem for most riders.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt

Definitely not super impressed with the changes especially when I see I could get a 2019 SP 165 w shot for 11,299 in Idaho. Buy my own suspension, short seat, remove snow flap (free) and hand guards and some Mohawk skis and bam I’m still less than 15,699 for the expert.

Last edited:

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Risers are a personal preference based on riding style and rider size. I am 6'3" so a shorter riser won't work for me, but I can see someone that is 5'6" needing a shorter riser than me.

As far as the tunnel, I for one like that they are offering this option. Shocks, I am a little confused why they didn't coat all four shock in Kashima?

Overall I wish they would offer a snowcheck build option like Polaris to allow you to put what size bars, what color you want, etc...

I do like the running boards that are extruded all the way to the foot well too.

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
Ive always thought the same. "well so and so is a pro and they run no riser". That same logic should apply to Supercross as well and I know Ricky Carmichael and Travis Pastrana do not run the same bar height.
Ride what works for you not what works for Burandt.

I actually enjoy how the expert looks. But to me its just another expensive model. Give me the base model and a hacksaw and Ill have an expert in 10 min.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Right now I am pretty happy I just bought my 2nd 2019 last week.
I have mixed feelings about the shorter tunnel.
Not sure I am willing to give up being able to carry BOTH spare fuel and a tunnel bag when we are back in the deep woods for the day.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I think it is cool but won't work in the real world unless you live in Cooke or somewhere there is no trail. You need that mud flap to stay cool. 2 years ago, down in alpine, everyone was struggling to stay cool. My 2 850s were about to shut down. This would have sealed the deal unless they added more cooling.
The adjustable limiter is a gimmick.
New spindle might be cool.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
By not offering build your own alla poo, Doo drives accessory sales, reduces production costs from color changeovers, and run higher volumes of the same components at a lower cost per with fewer SKUs to plan, purchase and manage for the lines. It's all about the economics. They clearly don't think they need build your own. They don't need NASA to figure it out.

Expert is kinda beyond niche; like the innovation and risk taking, but, lets get real, most of us mortals don't hunt down epic pow daily wherever it falls North America; how often does the wheelie bar really get in the way for you? Just get the removable flap. But the young'in sledneckers will still have to have it. Until seat time is had by many mortals, we won't really know. The media will just repeat the marketing word salad like mynah birds.

Stimpy97c

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2014
I am conflicted on it. I want to try the short tunnel but worried about it over heating on the trail. I don't have a ton of trail but enough to cause temp issues. I have a 2018 165 that I was planning on selling to go to a 154 this next season anyways so I am looking to change. Not liking the price tag of the expert but all that stuff I pretty much do to my sled anyways except the limiter adjust. I am 5'10 and run 3" bars or can do the 4.7", I also need a low seat but may need to be running one even lower than the 47c seat.

My problem is I am going to just throw on a set of Mohawks and will probably be changing the skid and definitely the track. Lugs on the doo track are supposed to be even stiffer this year and I hate how they do not want to cork up on the snow. I can probably recoup some of the cost of the track. The tmotion track approach angle is also poor. Everyone else seems to be able to address that.

I guess this would be a build for me with a lightweight hood, can and belt drive also, but it is hard to swallow a 19-20k bill versus a 15-16k bill going with a holdover.

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
I think it is cool and nice to push the limits of things but like many others here there are many things I am not so stoked on. The short tunnel is cool but like it has been said I worry about cooling. Why could they not have done this to a 175 as well?? I know.......too long but for the big guys it would have been nice and even "more out of the box" to have a trick big track sled.

At 6'-3" the short riser and skinny bars ( I thought the bars were already skinny) are a turn off.........I have big hands lol.........then the suspension while cool is a bit confusing again as stated earlier. Currently I ride an 2015 XM-163 T-3 and it has been and still is a great sled but was looking to go 850 for 2020.

Now I find myself trying to hunt down a 2019 X-175 or SP and save some money then modify it with different skid setup etc. etc.

Building out 2020's on the doo site and I know it is retail but rough numbers 165 Expert $15,900 US, 175-X $16,800 and 165-Freeride $17,100. Damn that seems like a lot when you can get holdover 2019's for less than $13,000 and less than $12,000 close to $11,000 in places.

I was all set to plunk down for a 2020 and I still may.........but hard to do when you can save $3,000-$4,000 on a 2019.......that is a lot of coin you could use when buying stuff to make that 2019 just the way you want it. Ugh decisions, decisions,.........

Dave

MidwestBoondocker

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 25, 2011
SW MN
Well unlike most on here I am pumped about the new expert edition. I love the look of the short tunnel and really am not concerned about cooling. Dip off the whopping 5 miles of trail total that we ususally run anyways if need be and good enough. Still may upgrade shocks but going to see how the stickers are first. Small bars, lets try it and see what happens. If I don’t like it go to bigger ones. Only complaint is colors. Customize pleaseeeeee skidoo!

Really thought more people would be pumped about this. Everyone pushes innovation so you get it and then bash the hell out of it immediately? Can’t wait to jump on my expert next year!

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I am starting to come around on the “Expert” myself.

A list of things that was sent to me

4f89ea3a72c1305ef00aa012d67cb784.jpg

Premium Features