• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how to make top speed faster?

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
my bike is painfully slow on the trails, and I think it effects me in the deep snow too, just instant torque in 1st and 2nd and not enough track speed. seems like im hitting the rev limiter instantly in those gears and getting nowhere. I find myself in 3rd and 4th doing minor hillclimbs lots because first and second are just wayyyy too damn slow, the bike just seems to scream and only do 5 kmh in the lower gears. I think it might be my maxtrack II though... not a fan of it.

5th gear in the trails is like 2nd or maybe 3rd on my summer dirtbike. I swear it only does about 60 km/h in 5th and thats with a 520 big bore kit, pr2 tuner, TI-2 exhaust. I often find myself trying to reach for the non existent 6th gear as 5th is a turtle pace... I seriously thought I was in 3rd gear but nope, thats 5th and all shes got. sad.

what are my options here other than changing front sprocket to a smaller size for more track speed? (not sure what size it is now TBH.. bikes at the dealership)

2013 ktm 450sxf 520 big bore, brand new clutch so I know its not slipping.

2017 yeti 129.

maybe theres TOO much power and im just spinning the track everywhere?

Last edited:
A
Nov 14, 2017
A couple of my buddies get a 6th gear for their KTM/Huskies to get that top speed.

One guy geared up to a 15tooth in the front from 14 and it was brutal in the slow stuff.

I tried a 13 front sprocket and it was like what you are describing. Just way to low for the first two gears and way too slow in 5th. I went back to a 14 front sprocket and it was where it should be. (although still kind of slow when I am in 5th on the trail)

What are you running for a front sprocket?

PS. we are all running timbersled

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Yes gear up on tooth and see where that leaves you.
In the end it is a six speed trany that works to get the best of both worlds.
The big bore should be able to pull a wide ratio transmition pretty easy
I never had a kit that was not a compromise speed wise. By the sounds of it you have enough power to pull higher gearing. Just gear it for the conditions you mainly ride in if you do not see too many 2 feet plus days the higher gearing will be fine. I always run on the upper end of all around Gearing because I get to bored with a bike that is to slow to be fun.

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015
Sounds like you need to gear up big time. My 500exc with timbersled LT will do 90km/h on the trail if you hold it open in 6th. It will easily pull 2nd gear climbing regarldess of how deep the snow is. I have my chain case geared up 18 over 16 vs 17/17 stock. You should have more options for gears with the yeti. Lacking 6th gear shouldn't hinder you too much since your bike will probably rev quite a bit higher than mine to get similar speed on the trail.

M
Sep 19, 2016
Gearing

Change your bike sprocket up one. Sounds like a 13 tooth. Its like 30 bucks. Standard yeti gears are 41 over 47 bottom. they are fairly expensive being over a hundred each.:face-icon-small-blu

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
You can change the rear drive sprocket... That would be half the change as your front... Then the drive belt is really fine tuning ... Like your rear sprocket on the dirt bike.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada
You can change the rear drive sprocket... That would be half the change as your front... Then the drive belt is really fine tuning ... Like your rear sprocket on the dirt bike.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Not really because on a snowbike the sprockets are close to all the same size.

On the bike there's a big delta (ex: 14/50) so yes in that case one front tooth equal to roughly 3-4 tooths on the rear.

Premium Features