• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Questions about compression / elevation

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
Looking to see where my line of thinking is off.

Compression, and therefore power, decreases with altitude. Could we increase compression to bring it back to what it was designed for (sea level?) without sacrificing durability? I realize octane would need to be increased to match compression. But what else am I missing?

Assuming the theory works out, what would need to be done to the motor? New head? How about cylinders?

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
The best way to compensate for altitude is "forced induction", be it a super charger or a turbo charger, either will make power at elevation.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
yes you lose about 3% of your power for each 1k increase in altitude....you can go with a high altitude head, or just have your heads re-cut in a shop that knows how to do it....is it worth it ?, not really unless you make it part of a complete engine work up with porting, pipes, head, etc....if you like being first on the race up the mountain against your buddy, go for it, but be prepared for the problems that inevitably go with it....for most riding, the juice ain't worth the squeeze.....put gas and oil in it and learn to ride it well is the best bang for the buck...:face-icon-small-hap

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
PSI used to make an adjustable Head ,loosen up the the screws and twist it’s you gained altitude to preserve your HP .
They were were called adjustable power domes I think .
They had an O ring issue , but that’s not to say it couldn’t be corrected or perhaps re engineered to work .
Maybe it was the hassle of having to adjust them ,maybe they could be electronically sensed and adjusted to compensate fir altitude changes .

Premium Features