• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ran out of fuel, now won’t start.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Ran out of fuel, now won’t start.

Gave up trying to figure it out myself, here I am.

2012 Proclimb 800.

Sled ran out of gas in middle of my yard, went to move it with low fuel and ended up playing a little bit...

Sled sat couple days with no fuel because I didn’t have premium on the farm. Coupe days later I filled it up with fresh premium. Tried to start, pull pull pull pull, nothing. No popping or anything. Next day I took a battery out, and primed the fuel pump from a battery. And then pull pull pull pull, nothing again. Couple days later brings us to tonight.

Tried again pulling and pulling, nothing. Pulled the spark plugs, very wet. Pulled and pulled, it was flooded, fuel was coming out. Pulled till nothing came out. Cleaned plugs, put one in each cylinder, pulled with key on it popped a few times. Guessing residual fuel. Put other plugs in, with the wiring on fuel pump disconnected I went back to pulling. No pops nothing. But it did rip the handle right out of my hand. So, pulled plugs again, tipped sled on its side, pulled and dumped out black fluid, bunch of fuel and oil mix when I pulled it over.

Took plugs and heated them up cleaned them and put back in tried to start it with fuel pump disconnected still nothing. But the recoil still did stop dead and pull back on me. Got dark outside so I gave up tonight.

Tomorrow going to put a little bit of fresh fuel in cylinders see if it fires.

Helpful if anyone had any other pointers, suppose to snow 8” next two days so want it out of the middle of the yard or there’s gonna be a 4’ snowbank. That’s what I’m telling myself, truth is I just wanna rip up the ditches lol.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I know you checked, but is the key on, kill switch in run position, and is there spark?

My 10 ran out of fuel once and 3 of us taking turns pulling on rope. Thought we were going to have to tow it off the mtn. After over 100 pulls, wasnt counting, it started. Note to self - never ever run out of fuel again! I didnt know about hooking up a battery to the fuel pump until after that happened.

Not a proponent of this, but I have heard of people spraying a whif of starting fluid into the intake.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
I know you checked, but is the key on, kill switch in run position, and is there spark?

My 10 ran out of fuel once and 3 of us taking turns pulling on rope. Thought we were going to have to tow it off the mtn. After over 100 pulls, wasnt counting, it started. Note to self - never ever run out of fuel again! I didnt know about hooking up a battery to the fuel pump until after that happened.

Not a proponent of this, but I have heard of people spraying a whif of starting fluid into the intake.

Key on, killswitch is momentary, tried disconnecting the handle controls as well.

Spark is present, was dark by time I was trying to finish and I could see the spark.

Took a torch and had it at the spark plug hole and pulled it over and no flame. So doesn’t seem flooded anymore.

Going to try putting fresh gas oil mix down the plug holes before I blow the reeds with starter fluid lol.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
might have ran the pump, pick ups dry/has air in line(s). you may have to ad power and spin the pump backward, and or prime it to get it to fire. Ski

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
Always just ran 87 fuel at home. My 13 proclimb and 15 proclimb and now my 18 snopro. Never had a deto code. Tried premium but didn’t notice much.

U have a place to pull sled into warm shed to thaw out?maybe something iced in electrical.
Maybe disconnect main harness to hood and handlebars to see if something changes.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Always just ran 87 fuel at home. My 13 proclimb and 15 proclimb and now my 18 snopro. Never had a deto code. Tried premium but didn’t notice much.

U have a place to pull sled into warm shed to thaw out?maybe something iced in electrical.
Maybe disconnect main harness to hood and handlebars to see if something changes.

87 has ethanol, I only use 91 with no ethanol in every gas vehicle I own.

I do not have a warm place. My backs kinda woundy right now with a slipped disk haunting me, so didn’t want to man handle it if I didn’t have to.

Disconnected the handlebar harness but not the hood harness. I will try that tomorrow as well.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Have u held the throttle wide open when pulling?

Good point. Yes, that has worked for me before when it wouldnt start. Make sure to have sled tied down or brake locked. First time I tried this I really doubted it would work and when the sled fired it almost jumped off the trailer.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
take off the fuel line at the top of the tank. it has a U clip so two small skinny screw drivers give it a few genital pulls on the rope as I have seen some get air locked. if after the pulls no fuel time for a new pump.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Broke the plastic clip on the fuel pump. Really dumps fuel out of it with even the slightest pull. It was flooded again. So I pulled the plugs and tipped it over and fuel dumped out of the cylinders. Injectors must be frozen open. I put a heat gun under the hood and put the tarp on it right now. Hopefully to warm it al up in there making it easier to pull over and to thaw the injectors.

And yes it’s been averaging -30 here all week. Doesn’t help.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
So, gave up and dragged it with the tractor to the shop and then man handled it inside.

Things i have done.

Verified there is spark.
Verified there is fuel.
Verified there is compression.

So im guessing something to do with timing why it will fire with one spark plug in each cylinder, a kind of weak fire. So im guessing timing. So in the shop so i can take the exhaust off and get in there... Yet again....

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
Seems weird that U just ran it out of fuel and now all this issue. Let it warm up and dry in shop. Magical things may happen ha.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Checked my stator out, everything tested good, tested pickups, they also were good. Tested coils. Also good.

I still suspected timing issue. So I tore it down, and pulled the flywheel, and low and behold the timing key sheared off and the flywheel was spun on the crank. That is the first I have ever heard of it happening before. Unsure if the timing key was an advanced key, but I had a stock key from a spare engine and put it in. Put it back together and it fired up first pull.

I’m guessing when the fuel injectors were frozen open and I hooked the battery up to it, it dumped fuel into everything hard, and the more I pulled the more it dumped into the crank case. Hence why it was flooded so bad. I’m also guessing when the recoil kicked back so friggen hard the first time the key broke off and the numerous times it happened again, it kept spinning the flywheel little by little.

I’m glad it didn’t start with a broken timing key.

Premium Features