• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boot talk, again

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Time to review the options again, hopefully the recent offerings have been tested out by some folks, and maybe some new ones are coming down the pipe. I’ve been using klim gtx and I love how warm they are, but they don’t protect my feet from harm as much as I’d like. Plus, the laces are dumb.

So, what’s the hot new waterproof, warm, protective boots out there? (Fingers crossed for answers)

T
Nov 4, 2018
Which GTX do you have? There are a number of different GTX models. I have the Adrenaline, which I like. They seem to offer good protection for me.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I am following this thread too. Interested in which boot might work if I ever decide to go the snowbike route.

Wondering how well a good 800-1200 gram insulated hunting boot, with waterproof membrane like goretex, would work. I once wore my 400 gram Danners on a spring snowmobile ride, temps probably in the 40s, and they worked fine.

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
I have the gtx adrenaline. They are great boots actually, soooo warm and I run cold. But laces are kinda silly on a bulky boot like that and they need more armor on them. I would consider a waterproof Moto boot instead, get a size bigger and wear socks and heat packs I guess, but I dunno which way to go. It’s truly amazing to me that after all these years they don’t have warm, protective, waterproof Moto boots for recreational riders in **** climates.

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
I am following this thread too. Interested in which boot might work if I ever decide to go the snowbike route.

Wondering how well a good 800-1200 gram insulated hunting boot, with waterproof membrane like goretex, would work. I once wore my 400 gram Danners on a spring snowmobile ride, temps probably in the 40s, and they worked fine.

The adrenalines are 600 gram and they are super warm, never use heat packs and never had a single toe get cold at all. So I’d say anything over 600 would be too much insulation. 400 might even be the sweet spot.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
My Old school adrenaline GTX soles are gone after 8 years so I picked up the Havoc GTX this season.

Very moto boot feel , although they are a bit thick in the ankle. I have zero issues with shifting and peg fell is great ( stock KTM pegs ).

I love the sole, good traction and pretty decent to walk in. I bought them for the added ankle support and the sole. They are amazing on the sled too, good grip and I can still feel my foot position very well.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I used laced klim adrenaline on my first snowbike and, after a couple years, got tired of the laces icing up so switched to the klim adrenaline BOA. Loved them. Then used them for a couple years back on sleds and now back on a snowbike and still love them. Can't imagine needing more armor on them but if no impact on comfort or bulk, why not. I do wear knee/shin guards so feel covered. Also ride with balls of feet on pegs, unless shifting, to avoid getting foot folded under peg if i hit something.

I've not seen the klim havoc boot in person and am interested in firsthand reviews, but my klim boa still look like brand new with 3+ years on them so not really looking at other options yet. Soles have held up great even with aggressive pegs and warm even with snow blasting them, on snowbike pegs, all day. Looking at havocspecs, insulation amount is the same, they havetoughersoles, a a bit less bulky. Don't seem to have significantly more armor.

Edit: Nice. jacmmaxwell answered some of my havoc questions/concerns as i was typing my post. Thanks!

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
My Old school adrenaline GTX soles are gone after 8 years so I picked up the Havoc GTX this season.

Very moto boot feel , although they are a bit thick in the ankle. I have zero issues with shifting and peg fell is great ( stock KTM pegs ).

I love the sole, good traction and pretty decent to walk in. I bought them for the added ankle support and the sole. They are amazing on the sled too, good grip and I can still feel my foot position very well.

Very similar experience.

Loving my havoc boots. Snowbike and sled.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I had the KLIM Lace ups 2 pairs and now got the BOA's -- The Havoc BOA system leaves a lot on the table, the regular snowmobile BOA Boot from Klim has 2 Boas and a much better ancle support over the Havocs. Also the Havocs have very little protection on the inside arch support where my boots get damaged from Kick starting.
After trying them On I have to say the Havocs are a fail -- they look the part but are not up to the same standards as even the regular Klim boots. I bought the Klim Boa snowmobile boots after trying out the Havocs. I hope the soles hold up on the snowbike. The food pegs wrecked both my Lace up soles in the arch.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I had the KLIM Lace ups 2 pairs and now got the BOA's -- The Havoc BOA system leaves a lot on the table, the regular snowmobile BOA Boot from Klim has 2 Boas and a much better ancle support over the Havocs. Also the Havocs have very little protection on the inside arch support where my boots get damaged from Kick starting.
After trying them On I have to say the Havocs are a fail -- they look the part but are not up to the same standards as even the regular Klim boots. I bought the Klim Boa snowmobile boots after trying out the Havocs. I hope the soles hold up on the snowbike. The food pegs wrecked both my Lace up soles in the arch.

So you “tested” the havoc boots by trying them on?

Seems like maybe you should reserve your judgment until you actually have some experience with the product?

The havoc boa system is simplified for sure but swapping back and forth between my klim adrenaline boa’s and the havoc definitely has me preferring the ankle support and protection of the havoc over the adrenaline. (Dual boa)

Last edited:
P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
So you “tested” the havoc boots by trying them on?

Seems like maybe you should reserve your judgment until you actually have some experience with the product?

The havoc boa system is simplified for sure but swapping back and forth between my klim adrenaline boa’s and the havoc definitely has me preferring the ankle support and protection of the havoc over the adrenaline. (Dual boa)

What can I say tried them on and did not like the fit.
The closure was half baked.
If you give me a moto style boot make it close properly like a moto boot.
It has nowhere the protection of a moto boot with all the cost.
I will not spend that kind of money on a boot that does not fit me properly.
The dual boa on the other hand fits like a glove-- would I prefer more protection --Yes---

B
I've been using my new Klim Havoc's and at first, didn't think I'd need them as I had been using Revit Discoveries last winter and as they have OutDry and had kept my feet warm and dry and protected, as soon as I had tried on the Havoc's, I was sold as they were an anniversary gift from my wife to me.

Comfortable. Warm. Gore Tex=waterproof and more than enough protection for me. I have adjusted my gearshifter a notch or two higher so I can get the toe of my boot under the shifter easier but otherwise, they are breaking in nicely as I do love the BOA system.

S
Nov 6, 2017
Wisco
Me and one of my buds have the Havocs and love them. We rode last week and stepped into a creek more then halfway up the boot and our feet were still warm and dry. Rode all day with a normal pair of Klim socks and it was perfect.

People complain about them but I don't have one complaint yet on three rides. Sure they don't quite have the ankle support of a full blown MX boot, but more support then the Adrenaline BOA.

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
I went with a regular moto boot a size too big so I could put a thicker sock on as well as a Gore-tex sock. So far, with the conditions we have had in north Idaho, so water has gotten inside the boot so the Gore-tex may be overkill but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Plenty warm and better protection than any sledding boot. I was wearing the Fly Marker boots last year and made contact with a stump. I was standing at the time, so my foot did not fold under like some others have had happen, but it definitely got my attention. For what it is worth, my moto boots are Oneal and cost around $100. Was really happy with the markers as far as feel, warmth, and water proof abilities up to that point.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
How are the soles standing up ? I tend to stand a lot more than the majority of snowbike riders and the pegs have chewed up every boot except for the old Sidi Discovery boot that has absolutely no use in winter conditions .

Throwing hints , maybe someone is listening since even the mountain riders in the sledding world are shredding boots .

By the way , already tore up a 400.00 sled/snowbike boot and it barely made it past the one year warranty , better than some that haven't made it past a couple of rides .

Last edited:
P
Sep 30, 2016
NW Oregon
Gaerne SG12 that are one size larger with thick wool socks and Rocky Gore-tex socks over the wool. I haven't had a wet foot in over 60-70 rides in all conditions. I wouldn't feel safe riding in any other boot in the dirt or snow.

moto_786

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2011
Fox forma boots are awesome my feet stay dry I have some battery heated insoles for really cold days but I generally just run the insoles they come with. The enduro model is a bit more friendly for walking in snow as it doesn’t have a smooth sole it has a work boot tread on it.

T
Feb 1, 2010
Entiat, WA
Havocs have been working great for me this year. Plenty warm, perfectly dry. I'm not a fan of any lacing system that can't be swapped for P-cord in a pinch, so the BOA is kind of a downside for me, but so far so good. I have Fastways, and the soles are holding up. I don't have a kicker, so no intel on how they hold up to that.

Premium Features