• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken drive shafts?

S
Dec 4, 2009
I have a new 2016 rmk 17.5 miles on it ( groomed trail) 163 2.6. Snapped all the way around on belt drive side. Has anybody else had this happen

D
Dave... what is the diff in the 13-15 and the 16+ collars you make?

The collars is identical except there is less room between the bearing area (Quick Drive Side) and the drive shaft than there used to be on the 13-15. We have to open the hole in the end of the collar up just a little bit to allow the collar to slide onto the shaft just a little bit further. It not a major thing. Just a minor adjustment.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Dave,

Just for clarification; the Drive shafts are the same, but the AXYS chassis casting supporting the lower bearing protrudes into the tunnel further?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Dave,

So are all the new collars Sam (HFPP) makes, to the newer spec? Or is he producing both? Thanks!

D
Dave,

So are all the new collars Sam (HFPP) makes, to the newer spec? Or is he producing both? Thanks![/QUOTE

Sam and I own HFPP together. Sam is the brains behind the machining. The collars are the exact same collar with the minor change for the 16 model. The 2016 model just requires one additional machine step. So I guess the answer to the question is yes, both collars come from the same source or Happy Face and over time we will most likely make all the collars for the 16 spec which will fit all the models once again. However, for now we will have two. We would hope that over time this product would no longer be required however for now its still a viable insurance policy.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
hummm... I have the “older” HFPP collar on my ’16 driveshaft. I have been running it with over 600 miles, no issues I am aware of.

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
Happened to me this weekend. Sled has 600 miles. I have the 4 year warranty, what are my chances they’ll warranty it? I pulled the driveshaft from a donor sled to get me through the weekend.

dcf7f2a2a70ec74f2112beed1d596301.jpg

a9861709985117147395f5d5c3b4663b.jpg

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
The Happy Face Clamp will not allow separation!

I upgrade all mine with the Happy Face clamp, and glue it on as well. It is machined in such a fashion, that even with a glue joint failure the driveshaft can not separate like yours and leave your sled motionless and you snowshoeing out.

FWIW

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I upgrade all mine with the Happy Face clamp, and glue it on as well. It is machined in such a fashion, that even with a glue joint failure the driveshaft can not separate like yours and leave your sled motionless and you snowshoeing out.

FWIW

Are you using the clamp on both ends? I have been hearing of the occasional PTO side stub failing as well in the Axys. Enough of them that I will be adding one to the left side.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Are you using the clamp on both ends? I have been hearing of the occasional PTO side stub failing as well in the Axys. Enough of them that I will be adding one to the left side.

I replace the PTO end with a splined end to facilitate a drive shaft mounted brake, but all my sleds are one off custom pieces ( don’t have any experience with a stock sled, I don’t use the heavy stamped steel bearing flange, which apparently interferes in a stock application). I don’t glue the clamp on that end in case I ever need to do a driver change, but yes it is clamped with a Happy Face clamp as well on my builds.

Last edited:

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I jump the stock clamp over to the PTO Side and use the Happy Face on the MAG side of the drive shaft.
Still plenty of clearance of the HFPP clamp, Use them on all my builds and clients QD sleds...

Can't get the HFPP clamp to clear the bearing housing on the PTO side- so retained the stock for additional support!!

Happy Face2.jpg

Happy Face.jpg

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Thats exactly the way I did it on my 2016 as well, move polaris clamp to other side, and add new clamp :face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-coo

M
Sep 13, 2009
Yep, I had my drive shaft snap on the clutch side too with 1 mile on it, I put 1 mile on it!!!!!! Haha was not a good first impression of my new snowchecked sled

Premium Features