• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

16 axys pro rmk 155 2.6 Clutch Belt

S
Nov 2, 2009
Hugo, MN
My machine is not at my house here so can you help me.

What cvt belt does the new axys pro rmk take? I assumed it was the same as the 15 axys short tracks that had a longer center to center distance, but then a friend just told me he thought it was the same as my previous 2011-2015 pro rmk's

So... which is it?

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
My machine is not at my house here so can you help me.

What cvt belt does the new axys pro rmk take? I assumed it was the same as the 15 axys short tracks that had a longer center to center distance, but then a friend just told me he thought it was the same as my previous 2011-2015 pro rmk's

So... which is it?

Belt from the previous RMK Pro models is what you need. My dealer confirmed that for me earlier this year. I kept my spare from my 13 to use on my 16 Axys Pro.

S
Nov 2, 2009
Hugo, MN
I Talked to Carls Cycle today,
The angle on the sheaves is the same angle cut they have been doing for years and I have run on my Pro sleds for years.
The center to center distance is the same as previous rmk, the short tracks is longer center to center. Interesting there is another thing they did different from the shorties to the rmk's
There is a new belt # for the 16 RMK's but...
The trend has been for Polaris to change the compounds harder and harder in turn never lets the belt explode like the old ones but they will loose performance and heat up faster. No one can confirm that this will happen to the new belt # yet but there is suspicion that the previous belt # may be a good or better option.
No one will know for sure until we get them on the snow for a while.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
They didnt mention that the angle on the new 16' belt is different? Sounds like they are pushing the old belt.
I will try and take a durometer reading on the "old" and "new" belt numbers this weekend and see if the new belt is softer. Eric

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
The angle on the sheaves is the same angle cut they have been doing for years and I have run on my Pro sleds for years.

Here is a post from Carls Cycle: FWIW..

Carls Cycle
03-26-2015, 09:25 PM

The new belt is a better more durable compound, and will fit on the older model pro's. The new part number by the way will be 3211183 if anyone is interested. The 2016 also has a new Primary that has sheaves that are cut to match the belt angle better (exactly like the clutch mod that we developed here at Carl's), as well as helping to reduce belt heat. The belt will retail for 199.99 to the best of my knowledge, though prices may change as usual.

S/C

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008

Carls Cycle

The new belt is a better more durable compound, and will fit on the older model pro's. The new part number by the way will be 3211183 if anyone is interested. The 2016 also has a new Primary that has sheaves that are cut to match the belt angle better (exactly like the clutch mod that we developed here at Carl's), as well as helping to reduce belt heat. The belt will retail for 199.99 to the best of my knowledge, though prices may change as usual.

S/C

The point is that the belt is not dimensionally different. The sheave angles are different as in what Carl's has been doing with their clutch mods. Another trickle up use of technology developed by smart mechanics like Jack and his guys at Carl's. Their clutch kits work very well. Unfortunately, he will not have one out for the 16s until he gets time to ride it to see what, if anything, can be improved. I presume that a helix, springs and weights may be what they recommend.

I picked my sled up there today. I will be installing the Diamond S Quiet muffler, the Ski Doo scratchers and removing all of the government mandated stupidity labels tonight. It sure sounds different mechanically than the Pro. Not sure how much of that is the suitcase muffler. I will find out tonight when I put the Diamond S on it.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
The point is that the belt is not dimensionally different. The sheave angles are different as in what Carl's has been doing with their clutch mods. Another trickle up use of technology developed by smart mechanics like Jack and his guys at Carl's. Their clutch kits work very well. Unfortunately, he will not have one out for the 16s until he gets time to ride it to see what, if anything, can be improved. I presume that a helix, springs and weights may be what they recommend.

I picked my sled up there today. I will be installing the Diamond S Quiet muffler, the Ski Doo scratchers and removing all of the government mandated stupidity labels tonight. It sure sounds different mechanically than the Pro. Not sure how much of that is the suitcase muffler. I will find out tonight when I put the Diamond S on it.

I forgot to add that it doesn't vibrate/shake around nearly as much when idling compared to the Pros. Motor seems a lot smoother mechanically.

S
Nov 2, 2009
Hugo, MN

Carls Cycle

S/C

This is what I was saying yes its a more durable compound but they are not sure on the performance level side of things. My pro's with Carls cycle clutching and sheaves cut were never hard on belts before.

The cut that Carls cycle had on there sheaves were the angle to the proper belt for the pros 11-15. Stock the pros came with a multi angles primary sheaves. (one angle lower in the sheaves and one higher in the sheaves)
My assumptions are but I did not ask exactly but if they were cutting the sheaves to the previous belt angle properly then this belt angle should not have changed but the primary sheaves changed.

I can tell you on the 2015-16 short track Rush sleds the belt is harder, more durable, doesnt blow up but it will loose alot performance as it wears in compared to the previous shorty rush sleds of 2011-14.

This has been the trend on the RZR's also. They come out with a new belt compound every year it seems, now they have gotten so they wont blow up but they loose alot of rpm as they wear. For performance wise Carls will tell you the best belt to use is the 2014 belt for the rzr 1000's

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I just got my primary back from Indy Dan( as I do with all my new sleds)
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Disassemble-
Clean -
Machine Both sheaves to correct specs-
Balance inner sheave by itself-
Set sheave clearance-
Remove weights and final balance complete assembly.-
Never have to worry about balance again, Even if you tear your clutch down and reshim the spider the clutch
will always stay in balance because the it was balance in separate pieces first.
[/FONT]

Dan did say that the sheave faces were pretty dang close from previous years as far as being closer to tolerances.
Balance however, was in need of some serious addressing-
This was on my Axys with ES so knew the starter ring might throw the assembly off- as it did..

S/C

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
This is what I was saying yes its a more durable compound but they are not sure on the performance level side of things. My pro's with Carls cycle clutching and sheaves cut were never hard on belts before.

The cut that Carls cycle had on there sheaves were the angle to the proper belt for the pros 11-15. Stock the pros came with a multi angles primary sheaves. (one angle lower in the sheaves and one higher in the sheaves)
My assumptions are but I did not ask exactly but if they were cutting the sheaves to the previous belt angle properly then this belt angle should not have changed but the primary sheaves changed.

I can tell you on the 2015-16 short track Rush sleds the belt is harder, more durable, doesnt blow up but it will loose alot performance as it wears in compared to the previous shorty rush sleds of 2011-14.

This has been the trend on the RZR's also. They come out with a new belt compound every year it seems, now they have gotten so they wont blow up but they loose alot of rpm as they wear. For performance wise Carls will tell you the best belt to use is the 2014 belt for the rzr 1000's
I don't quite follow. The 2015 and previous belts lost performance as they wore, noticeably after a point. Even as performance dropped off, the belt was still a long ways from blowing up. I've never blown a belt on a pro...because the Performance of an old belt sucks and you want to change it anyways.

So the new belt may make it longer before dropping off in performance theoretically it sounds? Good thing. What is the concern - that the performance will be less throughout its life? (Until performance drops noticeably - ie end of life). You were never supposed to run any belt till it blew...

Last edited:
S
Nov 2, 2009
Hugo, MN
I don't quite follow. The 2015 and previous belts lost performance as they wore, noticeably after a point. Even as performance dropped off, the belt was still a long ways from blowing up. I've never blown a belt on a pro...because the Performance of an old belt sucks and you want to change it anyways.

So the new belt may make it longer before dropping off in performance theoretically it sounds? Good thing. What is the concern - that the performance will be less throughout its life? (Until performance drops noticeably - ie end of life). You were never supposed to run any belt till it blew...

The 2015 and previous belts lost performance as they wore, noticeably after a point. Even as performance dropped off, the belt was still a long ways from blowing up. I've never blown a belt on a pro...because the Performance of an old belt sucks and you want to change it anyways.
I agree 100% once the performance started to drop I'd change the belt. I never blew a belt on the pro either.

So the new belt may make it longer before dropping off in performance theoretically it sounds?
That is not what I found on the Rush axys belt and if you followed the people last year on other short track forums claiming poor performance after 1000 trail miles, polaris fix was to change the belt it was worn out, and it sounds like most the time it would fix it. Now 1000 trail miles is nothing, that's two weekends of riding. I found this to be true personally. My axys rush had lost 350+ rpm by the time the sled had 1250 miles, you would have sworn it was loosing alot of power. I put a new belt on and it was like new. 1000ish miles and the belt is worn and loosing alot of performance is a little short on what the life should be on a performance sleds belt imo.
When it comes to the rzr's new belts it seems to be the same thing. When they get some miles on them they can loose 500+ rpm and turn very sluggish.
The original question was what was the proper belt and after I talked with Carls it then it turned into what is the best belt for the sled. None of us know that yet obviously until we get into the season...
The Rush axys sleds dont have 2 options like the RMK does due to the longer center to center distance on the Rush axys

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
If softer is better, what about the 122 belt? Or even the 080? Side benefit is they're cheap too. In 07, when Polaris started using the 115 as stock, some guys swore by sticking with the 080 because of the softer compound. If you remember, the original purpose of the 115 was to stop 900 owners from committing either suicide or homicide because nothing else would last on those things.

Premium Features