• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Before you accept delivery of your new sled, Some things to check.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Here is a thread that I posted in the PRO RIDE section a few years back... good info/practice on any new sled... and applies to the AXYS as well.

This new Pro-RMK is the highest quality Polaris that I have seen to date.

Most dealers out there are very conscientiousness about prepping the sled before delivery to the customer.

AND...

In the heat of readying a lot of sleds and running the day to day aspects of the service department.... some things may get overlooked.

Since you have a huge investment in the sled and often rely on it to get you in/out of some pretty dangerous situations I recommend that...

BEFORE you accept delivery and pay them the final amount due. Inspect the sled with a fine tooth comb.

Check the body and chassis well... look for General fit and finish of all body panels, instruments, controls on the handlebars, bumpers, seat, body panel rubber straps.

Get under the hood, actually under the side-panels on this sled, and check the exhaust spring install, how the pipe and can fit and other general items

Check that the hood is centered and that the inlet on the airbox to the intake in the hood is centered and sealed.

Check the belt deflection and belt side clearance (this is something that is often "off" on a new sled... especially the side clearance which is a dealer only kind of adjustment... don't let an excuse arise like the belt needs to break in first... especially if the gap is too large

Start the sled and check that all lights work (head hi/low, tail/brake) and that the grip warmers come up to temp.

Read the owners manual BEFORE going to the dealer and have them go thru the suspension adjustment procedure with you

Before you go to the dealer...go to K-Mart/Wallmart etc and purchase a small 10 lb dumbbell so that you can check the track tension according to the manual... if it is off, have them adjust it. You will need this dumbbell as a "tool" to keep your track at the correct tension anyway.

Start the sled again... support the rear of the sled and run the sled with the side panel off... watch the clutches for smooth operation and listen for any strange noises....let the track coast to a stop shut off the engine and check to see that the track is centered in the tunnel (equal space on both sides between the drop brackets) put the sled in reverse and check for smooth operation....

Support the front of the sled off the floor and check the front end alignment as specified in the owners manual, page 100... take a tape measure with you.

You can download the owners manual before you go at:
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/OurCompany/Parts-Manuals/PartsManuals/9922844r01%20lo%20res.pdf

Then, have the shop re-torque the clutch bolt to 80 ft/lbs after this run as specified in most of the TSB's that Polaris has sent out regarding clutch install procedures.... this bolt should be re-torqued after the first ride as well.

Also... before you go... have have the shop add the correct amount of break in oil to the fuel tank for you...do this after the final engine-running check and fill the tank with clean gas from a reputable station.

A good dealer will not mind you going thru this procedure and will have already confirmed that the above items have been checked and tended to before you even arrive.:D

The time to do this is before you take delivery of the sled ... not after... Many of these items are considered "owner responsibility" after you take delivery... make sure your $11,000 investment in fun is up to par!!

If something is "off" don't accept delivery/pay until the issue is remedied.

My 2 cents.

ENJOY YOUR NEW RIDE... The Pro Chassis is AWESOME!!

PS.. If you have already taken delivery of your sled... check this stuff anyway and go back to the dealer right away if you have any issues that appear.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
As a side note... when filling your your tank for the first time... some thoughts from another post...

For filling... even/especially from the pump...Use one of these to keep as much water out of your tank as possible.

Use it at the pump and when fueling from cans... make sure that you keep your on-sled can clean and use this to fill it.... be extra careful when fueling in the field so that you don't get snow/water in the tank during the transfer.

http://www.outerwearsracing.com/proddetail.asp?prod=11022

FUELFUNNEL_1.jpg

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
FYI: Warranty does start the day you pick up your sled. I was told it would be differed until December but that is only if you leave your sled at the dealer until such date. Bogus!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
FYI: Warranty does start the day you pick up your sled. I was told it would be differed until December but that is only if you leave your sled at the dealer until such date. Bogus!

That's what I believed to be the truth as well, but many people have sought to correct me.

Premium Features