• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 Phazer Airbox Removal?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So, last weekend at Togwotee my son turned his phazer into a submarine and dove deep into a Tree Well and bent the steering about 20 degrees.

In the 4 years I have owned the Phazer I have NEVER had any reason to open it up beyond an oil change.

This thing is MUCH harder to get into than my 2 Nytros.

How the heck do you get the Airbox OUT to expose the steering colum???

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cW_-LyVcyY0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have to admit I never realized just how LITTLE info we have here in our forum on Phazers...

I am hunting through all the threads and finding darn little to go on.

M

MRFUSION

Aug 8, 2008
Peace River AB
Top of the airbox there is rubber plugs about the size of a quarter or so. Remove them and get a 4mm allan wrench I believe and remove 3 screws. It will come right off. 2 hoses under to unhook and away you go. Luck
Shad

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Being that my Nytro is pretty well MAXED out, this Phazer is going to be my Summer Project sled this year!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Both of my younger kids seem interested after a fun weekend at Togwotee and Lord knows I NEED a summer sled project.

And I can see already that this beast shares darn little in common with the Nytro so it will be a whole new learning experience all over again!:face-icon-small-sho

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
Phazer build

If you're thinking about a Phazer build I would not hesitate to talk to yamahajohnson220 more about how his turned out. I've ridden with him several times and it's quite the impressive little machine. I've witnessed him pick on the "big kids" sleds a time or two. I'm a pro rmk two stroke guy and I enjoy throwing a leg over it if that tells you anything.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
In the course of working on the steering I opened the radiator overflow tank and it was UGLY!

MUD BROWN!
Draining and flushing the cooling system now. How the heck did all this DIRT get in here??

hysu2ymu.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The guy that owned this sled before me MUST have had an overheating problem and poured STREAM WATER into the system.
That brown is actual DIRT.
And he never bothered to flush the system out again.
Inside of the radiator is covered in gritty dirt.

Flushing it out with Gallons of fresh water.
What a mess!

Why I never buy used anything.
Serves me right.....:face-icon-small-fro

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
That is crazy. You might want to check water pump impeller.
Ya, it was pretty ugly, and a BIG surprise.

Flushed it out with several gallons of water and filled it back up.
Come summer I will tare the whole thing down and do a proper flush out of the system.

The phazer is quite a bit different from the Nytro.
Really surprised they are NOT held together in the same manner at all.
Everything is bolted on with NO fast twist offs.

And the Big RUBBER BANDS on the fuel tank holding the side pannels on just amazed me.

Dang it.
I actually own a snowmobile HELD TOGETHER by RUBBER BANDS.

Oh the shame of it !!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Either way, got the airbox off and was able to adjust the steering which was the whole goal here to begin with.

Son bent the handlebars BADLY and I thought he bent some of the linkage as well. Turns out the lock nut on the adjustable link was loose, and had allowed it to rotate the steering column out of alignment. Easy Fix!

Now just waiting for the new handlebar!

Last edited:

mark

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2001
Wyoming
Phazer front end

Chris,
I recently purchased an '07 Phazer and noticed the steering was sloppier than I thought it should be. I finally tore into it and found the nut that secures the bell crank to the frame had backed off and causing the sloppy feel. You might want to take a look at yours.

The Phazer is not an easy machine to work!!!!! I was going to take my airbox off just see what was under it, I give up.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ya, its a challenge, but now that I have torn it down the first time, it will be MUCH EASIER to take apart again.

You can look forward to several REVIEW and INSTALLATION threads coming from me this year as I begin to mod my two phazers.

I think they are great little sleds and grossly underrated!

But they are a PAIN IN THE BUTT to open up.
The Nytro is a much friendlier sled to get into.

So hopefully some good photo essays on HOW TO will help more riders get into these little gems.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Running boards are on the list for both phazers this summer.
Do I detect a total lack of GRIP surfaces on those boards??
They look mighty slick?

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
No, they use the same traction devices I use on my Nytro boards. Good grip without wrecking them bottom of footwear. The black you see is UHMW. Snow doesn't like to stick to it, and black because it can be self cleaning. Has been a winning combo on my Nytro.

000_0019.jpg 000_0017.jpg 000_0016.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features