• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

lost spark

Feb 2, 2014
I have an 01 edge and was out riding today and shut the engine off by the kill switch. Went to restart and had no spark. I unplugged the kill switch and still nothing. Any ideas on what it could be?

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Did you test spark? If a plug grounded to the block won't light when pulled over, it's either a junk plug, bad coil, bad CDI, bad stator, or a wiring issue (black wire is grounded somewhere--brown is ground--black is kill).

When my coil went out, one plug fired while the other did not, so it still ran. I barrowed the coil off a friends sled (same on 600s, 700s, 800s--pretty generic part really) and my sled ran great the next ride. So I ordered a new one and went on my way.

Buddies stator went out. First I put my coil on his sled: no spark. Next I swapped my CDI to his sled: no spark. Then I found the resistance specs for the stator somewhere on this forum and test it: failed test. When I tested the wires coming off the stator there was one set that was open circuited when it should have had some resistance. Bought a used stator off the forum and the sled ran great again. I don't have the stator wire resistance specs handy or I'd post them for you.

I'm fairly certain there are two circuits on the stator; one for spark/engine and the other for lights/grip heaters/auxillary.

Last edited:

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
At the thermostat on top of the cylinder, if those wires get bent and break, the engine won't start. You can test it by unplugging it and then slipping a small U shaped wire into the the holes where the pigtail attached, and see if it will start then.

The high beam switch also goes out and causes engine starting and/or running problems. You can disconnect that in order to get it running, if you carry the proper sized allen wrench.

The first thing you do is put in new plugs, however. Check for a spark by keeping one plug not installed but grounded to the engine and wired in. If no spark then continue down this list.
Second is the thermostat wire.
Third is the high beam switch disconnect
4th is the CDI box swap with a running sled
Then you are going to have to take the pull start/oil pump cover off in order to swap out another stator.

Last edited:
Premium Features