• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

All 3 of my Polaris RMK's won't start

K
Feb 26, 2013
Trying to get my sleds running for the season and I can't get any of the three to want to start.

03 RMK 600
04 RMK 800
04 550 Trail

Things done so far.

Ran Startron through fuel in spring. (always do whenever I fill up)
Cleaned 800 carbs and they looked fine.
All new plugs per manufacture type/gap
Verified I have spark
Believe to have fuel going in.
Fuel valves on, kill switch off, key on - duh
Doesn't seem to matter what position choke is in

I did get the 800 to run for about 5 seconds or less when added starting fluid in air box. Since then I have read this is bad so won't be doing that any more.

I'm new to sledding so I'm wondering if there is some other switch I turned off or something I did in the spring that I am just forgetting about. Can't seem to find anything obvious though that's probably what it is. They all ran fine this last spring when I put them away. They have been garaged all summer.

I'm about ready to light them on fire so any advice is appreciated!

Thanks a ton!

Last edited:

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
Since the 800 runs on starting fluid only, it's likely not getting any fuel. Have you checked the fuel pump. How did you clean the carbs? With cleaner and compressed air?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
If you had them stored for the last six or seven months in a hot dry environment and did not start every couple weeks your float bowls may have evaporated dry, leaving pilot jets plugged, possibly main jets plugged and your floats and need valve stuck in the up position not allowing any fuel into the bowl. If your carbs are that varnished up the only way to get them unplugged is a solvent soak (such as can be purchased at NAPA) with carbs totally disassembled.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Possible dumb question but did you drain fuel out completely including the float bowls and fill tanks with fresh fuel? Odd that all 3 won't start which makes me think it is bad fuel.

K
Feb 26, 2013
Cleaned carbs with carb cleaner only. Took both jets out and there was nothing clogging them. Bowl looked very clean. Maybe there was more I should have taken apart but that was pretty much it inside the float bowl area. Sprayed it all down. One jet felt like it was going to strip so I never did get that out. Maybe that was the one that is my prob?

Took the intake fuel line off at the carb and tried starting. Fuel pumped out so that is why I think it's getting fuel.

Yes they sat in hot weather inside a garage but I thought the purpose of a fuel additive was they could sit all summer without gunking carbs up. I have seen carbs that are gummed up so I think I know what it should look like but these had no traces of anything in them.

Is it possible it is just flooded?

Thanks

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Cleaned carbs with carb cleaner only. Took both jets out and there was nothing clogging them. Bowl looked very clean. Maybe there was more I should have taken apart but that was pretty much it inside the float bowl area. Sprayed it all down. One jet felt like it was going to strip so I never did get that out. Maybe that was the one that is my prob?

Took the intake fuel line off at the carb and tried starting. Fuel pumped out so that is why I think it's getting fuel.

Yes they sat in hot weather inside a garage but I thought the purpose of a fuel additive was they could sit all summer without gunking carbs up. I have seen carbs that are gummed up so I think I know what it should look like but these had no traces of anything in them.

Is it possible it is just flooded?

Thanks
Possible I guess but all 3? Are the plugs soaking wet?

K
Feb 26, 2013
Possible dumb question but did you drain fuel out completely including the float bowls and fill tanks with fresh fuel? Odd that all 3 won't start which makes me think it is bad fuel.

No I didn't based on the assumption that treating the fuel made it so you didn't have to. Maybe that is the next thing to try?

The Trail did start for me after sitting in the sun for a couple of hours. Not sure if that is related or not. This makes me think the others should start as they were all treated the same in the spring.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
You're right. Fuel stabilizer is supposed to make it okay but I would put in fresh. Burn the old in your truck.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
What I do because I have had the issues you're having many years ago, is to top off the tanks, treat with Stabil and go for my last ride. I then top them off with fresh gas, Stabil and store. I start my sleds every other week all year long in an effort to keep the float bowls full. In early October I siphon all the old gas out of the tanks (pour in my crappiest car) and fill with fresh. This may sound a little anal but I haven't had a problem in any carbureted motor since following this procedure religiously for 30 years, this goes for chain saws, mowers, generators, sleds, anything with a gas motor that sits for any length of time. I don't drain carbs because eventually you will dry out the little rubber tipped needle and seat and it won't seal properly requiring replacement of the needle and seat.
If you stick your nose in your tank and your old gas smells like turpentine, it may never start whether it's getting fuel or not.

Last edited:
G
Nov 26, 2007
calgary
start

If the plugs are dry remove the plugs put a little bit of fuel in each cylinder install plugs and they should start.I have done this before. things get dry from sitting all summer.If you start your sled a couple of times during the summer you wont have a problem

S
Nov 6, 2002
Alaska
I do the same as AA did. Siphon all the fuel out of our three machines and refill with fresh. Which ever of our gas engined rigs was the emptiest ran on old gas for the week. Today the fuel we get is all junk! Drain your tanks and refill and it should work.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
If the plugs are dry remove the plugs put a little bit of fuel in each cylinder install plugs and they should start.I have done this before. things get dry from sitting all summer.If you start your sled a couple of times during the summer you wont have a problem

this.
and if you think you flooded it, try no choke, hold thottle wide open till it fires up, then a little choke as it burns through that fuel and starts runnin lean again.
search out a source selling non-ethonol fuel in your area and you wont need fuel additives. raw unleaded is what they are intended for, figure most people run the 10% ethonol crap, then add addatives, it just gets worse imo..

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
I run a double dose of Stabil in all of my engine before storing them and have no issues with fuel and starting after storage.

I'd drain all of your fuel out and put some fresh fuel in it. I would also ensure float bowl is full of fuel. 2-3 ml of fresh gas in cylinder via spark plug hole is something that worked for me in past.

As or starting fluid, I have no problem with its use as I carry it and use often on my sleds for first cold start (I have a bad shoulder).

Also, consider putting in some chevron techron or BG44k in your first tank. It'll help dislodge any gum/varnish in your system and things running again. If possible, try to get BG44K directly into the fuel pump with an improvised bypass pickup line and pull start engine to get it into your carb. The BG44k will do wonders.

Good luck!

K
Feb 26, 2013
I run a double dose of Stabil in all of my engine before storing them and have no issues with fuel and starting after storage.

I'd drain all of your fuel out and put some fresh fuel in it. I would also ensure float bowl is full of fuel. 2-3 ml of fresh gas in cylinder via spark plug hole is something that worked for me in past.

As or starting fluid, I have no problem with its use as I carry it and use often on my sleds for first cold start (I have a bad shoulder).

Also, consider putting in some chevron techron or BG44k in your first tank. It'll help dislodge any gum/varnish in your system and things running again. If possible, try to get BG44K directly into the fuel pump with an improvised bypass pickup line and pull start engine to get it into your carb. The BG44k will do wonders.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips. I did put just a smidge of gas in each plug on one machine. It almost started but didn't. Maybe more fuel or do I run the risk of flooding?

Guess I'll be draining fuel and trying that route. Cross my fingers...

B
Oct 26, 2003
Pull the fuel lines off the carbs, pull the pull rope until the broken down gas/oil is pushed out of the fuel lines, put fuel lines back on carbs, start and run.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
It may be time to rebuild the fuel pumps. Inside of them, there is a nickel size plastic diaphragm that get scratched where it contacts metal. You can flip those diaphragms over and reattach them. Then you have a good seal and will require much fewer pulls to get it started.

Dave64

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2013
Anoka, MN
One thing I have found that is very helpful is to run Non Oxygenated fuel for the last few tanks of the year, it stores much better. I have also read an article about a product Yamaha has come up with that looks promising. It is made for the oxygenated fuels and is supposed to work much better than stabil. I have not tried it yet but plan to do so soon.

Premium Features