• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Steering post for gen 2

K
Dec 11, 2007
So, i have a 2000-2001 polaris, the stock steering post is garbage and very weak.. and i want a stronger post thats a T post, whats the best way to go? whildchilds pretty good i hear? how are they for durability? and what lengths do they come? my stock post i belive sits about 4 inchs taller then the tank plastic.. would it be strong to get a shorter post for more strength then get a bigger riser to make up for getting a shorter post?? fill me in guys! thanks!

A

Andreas83

Feb 20, 2008
Norway
I had a fabcraft steering post in a gen2 sled. 2" taller then stock.
The stock one is a joke. Get it replaced with a chrome moly steering post.
You do not have to go shorter, the stress on it are the same if you add a taller riser to compensate for a shorter steeringpost.

montanagrizzly

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2010
Polson, MT
I bought a wildchild 2 years ago and 300lbs later it is still strong as ever and has not even thought of bending......and I had it lengthened 5 inches so no need for risers :)

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Wildchild is no longer making posts for the Gen 2, the last one was sold to a member here last year.

Fabcraft is the only one left that sells them.

K
Dec 11, 2007
what if i filled my stock post full of appoxy or a jb weld to strenthen it then put a soild 8 inch peice peice of steel on the upper part of my post and weld it back up??

A

Andreas83

Feb 20, 2008
Norway
The weak link is where the steering post goes trough the support.
Dont think it will be any stronger if you dont use a pipe that goes trough the support. Could work if you widen the ID of the support and use a longer pipe.
All this will involve cutting the top of the steeringpost

K
Dec 11, 2007
id use pipe forsure, cut the top and ram some soild steel down it far as it will go then weld it back up.. guess thats the only thing i could do? what would you do do? i want it stronger of coruse lol. fabcraft wants 260 bucks for a post.. little outta my price ranger if u know what i mean..

A

Andreas83

Feb 20, 2008
Norway
I dont remember how the support/bracket that holds the steeringpost looks like in detail. But i think it was a quite simpel steel thing.
I would have checked if it possible to widen the ID of the support/bracket.
If possible, cut of top of steering post, find a pipe that goes on the outside of the steering post. It has to go trough the support/bracket.
Then weld it back together.
I dont think a thin bar inside the pipe will make it much stronger.
But a pipe on the outside of the steering post will make it alot stronger.

K
Dec 11, 2007
ok yeah sounds better, that simple deal.. the support that the post goes thru i have that on the bottom of the bar then on top is an after market greasable one its purple. not sure the brand..

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
WMS OR SLP have a bushing top mount that works very well at supporting the top of the tube but they normaly bend at one of the bends the factory puts in

K
Dec 11, 2007
WMS OR SLP have a bushing top mount that works very well at supporting the top of the tube but they normaly bend at one of the bends the factory puts in

thats the same thing i got on mine but its purple, its pretty lose inside it so the bushings gone id say..never wouold have thought untill i looked up the WMS bushing support on slp website, deffinitly looks tighter then mine.

K
Dec 11, 2007
so what would be ther best route to go with? fill it with appoxy, pipe and a new bushing support? or.. 260 for a post from fabcraft and 250 for a gen 2 chassis from wildchilds website and an edge chassis is 180$ why is that??

C
Jan 25, 2011
south lake tahoe
I've got a spare poet I'm ogint ot ry filling with epoxy. I feel like the whole post is bending so hopefully this will help with that. Or look into a local fabricator and see what the cost would be?

K
Dec 11, 2007
I've got a spare poet I'm ogint ot ry filling with epoxy. I feel like the whole post is bending so hopefully this will help with that. Or look into a local fabricator and see what the cost would be?

What do you think it would cost to epoxy it? Mite do that to mine hm. The posts are pluged at the bottoms? Forget lol

C
Jan 25, 2011
south lake tahoe
"What do you think it would cost to epoxy it? Mite do that to mine hm. The posts are pluged at the bottoms? Forget lol"

I have no idea, I went to the hardware store yesterday and didn't really find anything that was going to work. I saw somewhere to use fiberglass and don't add as much hardener but I don't know where to get that stuff. I'll google it I guess.

No the hole is not plugged at the bottom of the post. So you gotta pull it out, or get another.

Somebody mentioned packing sand in it, but I think that would weigh too much. I'm leaning towards finding a local metal guy and seeing if he'll make me one out of cro moly. Mine is bending a solid 3 - 4 inches every time I go now.

Premium Features