• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Vertical edge vs regular rmk

R

rmkMatt

Sep 14, 2010
Wyoming
I'm new to this and have one of each, is there any difference really between the two? The 02 I have says vertical edge on it, is black and has different shocks than my 03. That's all I can tell.

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Vertical Escape

I have a 2004 Vertical Escape 800 151.

It has a lighter seat than my 2003 RMK.

Way fancier shock package. The rear clicker even has rebound adjustment.

I think the trailing arms/radius rods are lightweight versions as well.

S
Feb 25, 2008
Craig CO
RMK= plain jane
Vertical Edge= different colors better Ryder FX shocks
Vertical Escape= T post stering post, light wheight jack shaft, lighter trailing arms, lighter seat, better ryder fx shocks, pro-x style chaincase (in 04 vertical edges got this chain case too),team secondary with reverse later edges would get this too.
In 03 was the biggist difference from Rmk to Vertical Escape. All a vert edge was to me was a snow check sled that looked liked the Escapes but didn't have all the goodies.

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Vertical Escape

How much less do you think the Vetical Escape weighed than the RMK's?

I knew I had the T-post steering but did not realize my jackshaft was different. I knew the 04's had the Pro-X style chain case so did not think that was any of the feature upgrades.

Are the torque arms on the rear suspension any different/lighter than the regular RMK?

R

rmkMatt

Sep 14, 2010
Wyoming
Thank you, this is exactly the info I was looking for. I've been on the lookout for a third sled either for parts or just as a backup sled and was wondering what all the names meant.

S
Feb 25, 2008
Craig CO
I think 7 pounds but not 100%. Rear suspension was the same just different shocks. Also think Escapes had lighter chaincase gears too.Also the 02-03 rmks had diffirent bulk head coolers compared to the 03 escape and all 04 and later sleds. Not so much an improvment as much as a different way to route the coolant. The newer coolers had a by pass feature that let the sled warm up faster.

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Cooling

Yes - the 2004 has a different cooling setup to the head and from the water pump. Much cleaner. You don't have that small hose that went from the water pump directly to the head. I figured all the 04 Edges went to this setup along with DET.

I converted my 2003 RMK to the same setup when I put the DET head on. The brass fitting in the head is larger as well so I thought it might increase cooling.

I'll have to look underneath and see if the front cooler is different. Seemed the same from the top as I was able to reconfigure the hose routing on the 2003 to the 2004 setup with just a couple hoses and a brass plug in the water pump outlet.

A

AirForceSledder

Dec 19, 2009
Great Falls, MT
RMK= plain jane
Vertical Edge= different colors better Ryder FX shocks
Vertical Escape= T post stering post, light wheight jack shaft, lighter trailing arms, lighter seat, better ryder fx shocks, pro-x style chaincase (in 04 vertical edges got this chain case too),team secondary with reverse later edges would get this too.
In 03 was the biggist difference from Rmk to Vertical Escape. All a vert edge was to me was a snow check sled that looked liked the Escapes but didn't have all the goodies.

Ok, what about the 05 Edge RMK 800s...didnt they all just say "RMK" or were there Vertical Escapes also? Or were they all the escape pkg? I have ben really looking at 05 Edge RMK 800s and can only seem to find Red ones with the same graphics. Thanks!

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Is there an actual physical difference between an '03 head and an '04 head? Regarding the det.

S
Feb 25, 2008
Craig CO
I'm think in 05 they made both escape and edge models. The graphics were very similar.Easiest way to tell is look at the steering post to see if it has a t post and the trailing arms will be diffirent.
As far as heads go no performance changes but they did switch DET sensor supliers. So I can't remember if the thread pitch is the same for both. Check on an SLP head that will tell you. If they have two diffirent heads for an 03 and 04 and up then you know.

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
It is very much different!! That was the first year with the det!!. This is the only year they made that head!! a It only fits the 03 escape.
They made a much better det for 04 and 05 plus the head is better too.
THE 03 ESCAPE HEAD IS NOT CHEAP TO BUY ETHER.

Is there an actual physical difference between an '03 head and an '04 head? Regarding the det.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
To answer air force's? In 05 there are no differences they only made rmks because it's the year the iq chassie came out and there was no snow check options to speak of on the edge sleds. They had the regular steering post and the steel rydefx shocks, but they did have the light weight trailing arms and perc.

Premium Features