• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 Yamaha FX Nytro MTX SE 162 Measured Weight

M
Jan 14, 2004
agree.

thats why you fill it up..
even if you siphon, your not getting everything out.

i don't "ride" my sled w/o fuel.. i may not ride w/ 10 gallons every ride, but i know where I'm at if I do have a full tank. :)

then you can say I have a 6## snowmobile with ## gallons of gas.
instead of I have a aprox 5## snowmobile with aprox ## gallons of gas, which doesn't tell me much at all.

for comparison, no fuel makes sense... for real world usage, full of fluids makes sense.
i tend to ride in the real world, not the show room floor.. /shrug

I think this Sledskiing's sled at 600 lbs ready to ride is pretty typical of a turboed lightweight Nytro. From what I've seen they all come in around 600. I'd like to see the CF Nytro in at less than 500 with 10 gallons of fuel. If the tank holds 15 well great but it needs to be sub 500 with 10 gallons IMO to justify the cost. JMO.

M5

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
I think this Sledskiing's sled at 600 lbs ready to ride is pretty typical of a turboed lightweight Nytro. From what I've seen they all come in around 600. I'd like to see the CF Nytro in at less than 500 with 10 gallons of fuel. If the tank holds 15 well great but it needs to be sub 500 with 10 gallons IMO to justify the cost. JMO.

M5

They only got the 1200 Doo that they built for Doc Zoom down to 480 no gas. So with 10 gallons that would be in the 540 range. I would think the nytro would be pretty close to that. I agree though for 10 grand it should be sub 500!

N
Jan 11, 2008
Cherhill AB
In the next few weeks I want to get the crew together and do a weigh in 2 ways, sleds topped up with fluids like when they back out of trailer, and also with rider on with just riding attire, avalanche gear, no snacks and beverages. My buddies with light 2 strokes wont have much weight saving on my ride, beer bellies will help even out the score for me:laugh:

T

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Oct 5, 2008
Bc Canada
good info here Christopher. I went for a turboed 2005 RX1 MCX to a rev skidoo, blew that up after 20 miles, so now im going back to a Yamaha. nytro MCX this time.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I spent 2 hours yesterday talking to Jeff Hawksworth, owner of Skinz Protective Gear (SPG) about the their new products and about the new line of "Project Black" sleds.

With all the goodies on them I was blown away by the price for a turn key sled (A brand new 2012 Yamaha Nitro, labor AND parts listed below)
$19,000 USD ($17,900 Canadian)

Since discussing this with them last season... I have become much more open minded to give this sled a open minded try!

I was equally blown away by the weight ready to ride of the "Black" 153" Nitro... only 580 lbs Ready to ride, full of gas.

Now there IS one other thing to consider... beyond just the static weight...

The rotating mass of an engine induces what I'll term "gyroscopic effect" into the chassis. The high rotating mass of a 3 cyl, 4 stroke engine will act as a "guidance system" on the sled. This will cause the sled to feel not as nimble as a lighter rotating mass engine, even in the same chassis, NO matter what you do to the chassis weight.

This "Gyro effect" resists quick changes in direction.
More rotating mass = more resistance
More resistance = More rider input needed to maneuver the sled in technical situations or correct for terrain variation.

This is something that I'm hoping can be minimized in future 4 stroke offerings like they have done in the MX world...That will get me on a 4-stoke sled in a hurry.

I think that two of the biggest benefits of the sled will be less rider fatigue and much less weight gained from snow/ice build up. Showroom weight is great, on the snow weight... even better.

The Black sleds have
  • Timbersled skid
  • Camoplast Challenger Extreme 153 x 15 x 2.5" 3" pitch track 9174M (OR possibly the new Camoplast PEAKS track).
  • Fox Float R-EVOL ski shocks
  • SPG 39" stance A-arm with the fwd geometery
  • Frame gusseting and re powder coating in Chrome pow coat
  • Pow coated spindles to shed snow/ice.
  • SPG Airframe running boards
  • SPG Airframe hood
  • SPG Cromoloy T-top steering post
  • ROX freestyle handlebars with SPG grab strap and ROX grips
  • Pivot riser
  • SPG full in tunnel exhaust system
  • SPG Low-profile freestyle Airframe seat
  • Full tunnel powdercoating
  • C&A MTX Skis
  • SPG Rear Bumper
  • SPG Rear tunnel rack
  • SPG L.E.D. Tail light.
  • SPG Float plate
  • SPG Front bumper, pow coated black.
  • OFT Racing Products rear axle
  • OFT Racing Products Billet wheel

There are many other options available like lightweight batteries, rollover valves, tether switches etc available as well.

They will be testing the K-Mod this year on one of their own sleds and may be offering it on future builds. Jeff said the quality on that unit looks great and he is looking forward to putting it through its paces with the K-MOD.

751_IMG_1403.JPG

Last edited:
C
Nov 29, 2008
Guessing about the same as the ProCross 1100 .... that's why my 2 nytro's are for sale and being replaced with a pair of Pro RMK's .... Yamaha did not do enough to get the weight out and I don't think that you should have to dump another 1/2 the price of the sled into aftermarket mods to accomplish lower weight. Did not even look at / consider a Viper because of the lack of weight drop over the nytros.
Still holding onto the 5 phazers in the shed though!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Agreed.
Nothing suggests that the new Viper was an exercise in weight reduction.
While the Pro is significantly lighter, the Nytro will still outlast it on the durability scale years from now.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Reportedly the Nytro engine is about 7kg (approx 15 lbs) lighter then the 1100 non-turbo engine. Also the 14 XF chasis has some weight savings over the 2013, such as lighter spindles, etc. My quess for what its worth:) is that the Viper/XF7000 will be about 20-25lbs lighter then the Nytro.

Should know more once the actual production units start showing up at dealerships.

Last edited:
S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Guessing about the same as the ProCross 1100 .... that's why my 2 nytro's are for sale and being replaced with a pair of Pro RMK's .... Yamaha did not do enough to get the weight out and I don't think that you should have to dump another 1/2 the price of the sled into aftermarket mods to accomplish lower weight. Did not even look at / consider a Viper because of the lack of weight drop over the nytros.
Still holding onto the 5 phazers in the shed though!

You do realize the Phazer is almost the same weight as the Nytro right? Its just that the weight in the Phazer is much lower. Viper sucess is going to revolve around how the engine is set in the frame....in my opinion.

(I have 3 Phazers, 2 of them boosted)

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Expect 510 dry weight. :face-icon-small-dis

I would guess a dry weight of 530 on the 141 version. The 1100NA in the same chassis is about 529. I do not beleive that the 1100NA is heavier than the nytro motor. I think the weight is that compared to the 1100T engine. Which is heavier when you figure in the turbo and header as well as the intercooler So that being said i think it will come out about 30lbs lighter than the 2012 1100turbo was.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I would guess a dry weight of 530 on the 141 version. The 1100NA in the same chassis is about 529. I do not beleive that the 1100NA is heavier than the nytro motor. I think the weight is that compared to the 1100T engine. Which is heavier when you figure in the turbo and header as well as the intercooler So that being said i think it will come out about 30lbs lighter than the 2012 1100turbo was.

We shall see :face-icon-small-coo

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
We shall see :face-icon-small-coo

Either way I think it is all good. From what I have heard they handle nicely. I beleive that the nytro motor design allows the weight of the engine to sit back further. Also the rear exhaust likely moves 10+ lbs back a few feet as well even though it comes back forward to the muffler.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I also think a redesigned tank could allow for Rear exit exhaust as well on the Proclimb chassis. Which would move weight back further.

Premium Features