• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TECH TIPS for 700 & 800 EDGE's, Free Mods & Best Bang for the Buck

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
I had a 2002 EDGE-X 800 that was EXTREMELY WELL dialed in for a "Stocker" 6400+ MILES RIDDEN, NEVER BURNED IT DOWN, NEVER BROKE.WALKED away from my (3) other buddy's 800's BIG TIME !!

BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK MODS

HOLTZMANN ATAAC FUEL COMPENSATOR, spot on jetting ALL the time $ 245.00 from www.holtzmannengineering.com mileage increased from 10.5 m.p.g. to approx 13 m.p.g. noticeably more responsive on bottom end and mid-range.

SLP HI-Comp heads, for use with 91 octane ($330) improved bottom end & mid-range GRUNT!!

almost FREE MODS

PRIMARY CLUTCH
:

1) Check your belt to primary sheave side clearance, should be .010" to .015" w/NEW belt, mine was .070" from the factory.

2) Install a new primary clutch spring @ the start of every season. (approx $31.00)

3) Send your primary clutch out to have it balanced. Since these sleds have a bad rep for wasting the crankshafts, put a dial indicator on the crank snout (remove primary) and periodically check the run-out. 002"-.0025" is the MOST I would want to see. Made a NOTICEABLE improvement in smoothness and extends crankshaft and clutch life, they drilled 8-9 lightening holes in mine, that's how far off it was from the factory!! SLP and others charge only $35.00 for this service. Do this after you've set the belt to sheave clearance.

4) FLATLANDER SET-UP FOR 800 EDGE
a) ALMOND/red stripe SPRING (POLARIS part # 7041988)
b) 66 gram stock weights, OR
c) SLP's 68 gram MTX'S with 3 grams in the tip, plus 2 to 3 grams in the middle, slight improvement over 66's

SECONDARY

Button Secondary

1) Install a new secondary clutch spring @ the start of every season. (approx $31.00)

2) Replace the (3) little plastic wear buttons, they're approx $ 1.00 each

3) FLATLANDER SET-UP FOR 800 EDGE
a) Stock SOLID BLUE Secondary Spring
b) R-49 Helix, (POLARIS Part # 5133023)

Roller Secondary TSS-98 or TSS-04

1) Install (1) DELRIN washer under the spring cup in your secondary clutch (less than $5.00)

2) FLATLANDER SET-UP FOR 800 EDGE
a) Helix 70-42.46 duration SLP part # 50-90
b) Secondary spring 140/200 Red/Dark Blue SLP part # 50-4

The old style button clutch was faster on top end

BOTH PRIMARY & SECONDARY

1) Align your clutches (offset, center to center, and check for engine "crooked"), mine and my bud's were off!!!! You may have to shim behind the rear engine bracket(s) to get it perfect. Use thin Chevrolet style starter shims available @ Auto Parts stores under the “HELP” brand.

2) Lightly sand both primary and secondary clutches w/180 grit perpendicular to the way the belt rides and wipe down w/lacquer thinner.

3) Wash/scrub (plastic bristle brush) your BRAND NEW belt w/soap & hot water, and let dry overnight, sounds weird, but it removes the "mold release" compound that would otherwise would get smeared all over your nice clean clutches.

4) I prefer the #3211087 belt, it's a CLOSE TOLERANCE version of the #3211080

[URL=http://s815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/Kraven700/?action=view&current=PRICLTCHFULLSHFT.jpg][/URL]

[URL=http://s815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/Kraven700/?action=view&current=CLUTCHALNMNT.jpg][/URL]

CLUTCH TOOLS, USE THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE RIGHT JOB

TOP= POLARIS LWT Part # PS-47477 identifiable by the LWT 1 1/2" tall letters inscribed (approx .070" of built -in "kick" WHICH IS GENERALLY MORE THAN YOU WANT!!!!!!) for use with TSS-04 LIGHTWEIGHT SECONDARY ONLY (contacts the outside of the secondary)

MIDDLE= SLP part # 20-191 This tool is parallel, "straight" no built-in "kick". For use with roller secondarys fits the TSS-98 PERFECTLY, Will work with TSS-04 requires .100" setback measurement to be factored in with a stack of feeler gauges or vernier caliper.(contacts the outside of the secondary) SLP now has a new tool specific to the TSS-04 to where you don't have to jerk around with measuring .100" back, new for 2010, PART # 20-188 $49.95, TEAM also has tools specific to the TSS-98 and TSS-04

NEXT TO BOTTOM= SLP part # 20-150 Standard for "Old style" button secondary, Basically EDGE's and older Indy's. 5/8" OFFSET between backside of secondary. This tool is parallel, as in "straight", no built-in "kick" (contacts the backside of the secondary which is somewhat inaccurate as the backside of the secondary "moves" with the width adjustment on the models with externally adjustable width secondarys)

Bottom Hi -Performance Engineering Center to Center Tool, E-Z to fabricate out of a piece of Scrap Aluminum or Steel, cut-out for jackshaft is 1" Exactly, after that 11.5" c/c. After that you do NOT need the additional 1/2" diameter holes shown in the pic, only the 1" horse shoe or 1" round hole cut-out is req'd and then put some black magic marker on the edge of the tool, tap lightly on the crank snout and you'll have your mark, compare that to your 11.5" scribe mark

I've HEARD REPORTS OF SOME TOOLS NOT BEING "STRAIGHT", PROBABLY NOT A BAD IDEA TO CHECK 'EM WITH A STRAIGHT EDGE!!!!!!!

[URL=http://s815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/Kraven700/?action=view&current=CLUTCHTOOLSC-C.jpg][/URL]

ENGINE LIMITERS

1) SLP push engine limiter MAG side ($47.95) SLP part # 23-50 (E-Z 20 minute installation, only one hole to drill into your aluminum bulkhead)

2) WMS Engine torque arm, P.T.O. side, in front of the engine. ($82.95) sold also by SLP part #23-53 (E-Z bolt-on installation, no holes to drill)

T.P.S. CHECKING & RE-SETTING PROCEDURE (easier than you think)

1) Check/reset your T.P.S. Pretty E-Z to do, build a tester for $10. Make sure you have EXACTLY 5.0 VOLTS FOR TESTING PURPOSES. Don't overlook this! Look at the how to set your T.P.S. info here on this site, all the info is there.

2) The EDGE's get set at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE, spec is 4.0-4.1 volts.

3) Move the throttle gradually from idle to full throttle and back down again while watching the needle on your analog style voltmeter as you want it to move gradually in synch with the throttle, an erratic needle reading indicates a faulty T.P.S. and replace if neccesary.

CHAINCASE and GEARS and CHAIN TENSION

1) Check your chain tension in the chain case, adjust it to where the chain will almost touch the backside of the case w/finger pressure. While you're in the chain case place a metal straight edge onto the sprockets to make sure they're EXACTLY in line. Shim with thin 1" I.D. shims available from auto cylinder head shops, used as valve spring shims. Same shims also fit onto the secondary shaft for getting the offset "dialed in"

2) FLATLANDER SET-UP FOR 800 EDGE
Stock factory gearing is 25/40, change the bottom gear to (41), same 76 pitch chain still fits, less of a dog leg, acceleration improves a little, no loss in top end.

EXHAUST VALVES

1) Clean your exhaust valves AND bores, their dirtier and gummier than you think. While you're there check the bellows for small rips and tears.

2) The original exhaust valves are aluminum, which were prone to failure and severe engine damage could result. Then they went to titanium, and the latest and greatest are Stainless Steel, identifiable by the heavier weight and "relief cut outs"

3) The original exhaust bellows were blue, the latest and greatest bellows are Orange in color.

4) POLARIS part # 2202838 (order two kits, it's only enough parts for one cylinder) includes stainless valve, orange bellow, and 1 exhaust spring.

OTHER: OIL PUMP CALIBRATION, TRACK TENSION, MAINTENANCE:

1) Check your oil pump calibration , mine was 38:1 stock, 55:1 to 60: 1 is better.

2) Run your track looser that specs, approx 1" to 1 1/2" sag just sitting there on the stand.

3) Check ski alignment, 1/8" toe out is preferred

PREFERRED by MOUNTAIN RIDERS, DEBATEABLE for FLATLANDERS

1) SLP Big Air Kit and Flo-Rites, ($42.95 + (2) X $19.95= approx $83.00) E-Z to install , I just didn't notice any difference that's all. However, they do cause a noticeable increase in intake noise, if you like your sled quiet, don't do this mod.

2) Anti-ratchet drive wheels, a real P.I.T.A. to install, (also have to send your track out to get the windows puched out and fully clipped, LELAND PERFORMANCE, Washington State) had to cut the rail tips 2 5/16", relocate cross bar and hyfax mounting holes, and from here on out have to cut the front of the hyfax's as well

WASTE OF $$$$$ I.M.O.

1) V-Force reeds, maybe slightly more responsive on it's best day, V-force's were definitely NOT worth the $258.00 and installation time!!

2) Aftermarket Silencers, even with the weight reduction, they'll slow you down and for those of you who think it's "cool" remember that next time you come across a "trail closed" sign

3) Boost bottles

HAVE A GREAT SEASON!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Last edited:
L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
Kraven: Really great info and mods. All with an edge should read it. I have a high mileage '04 800 and have to agree. Would only add 3 comments:

1) SLP single with the airbox and Vforce really woke mine up.

2) Don't run your track that loose in the Mt's. You'll racket and come down backwards!!

3) Best mod I did: ryde FX on the rear and WE shocks from a dragon on the front - Took a little grinding on the ft, but rides much smoother........

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I disagree greatly on a couple of things on your list.

Anti-ratchets are a must running the steep and deep on these sleds. On a trail or setup snow, no. But deep and hardcore boondocking, I will never be without them.

Same goes for the slp flowrites and highflow airbox. On a trail or hard pack, I did not notice any difference either. However, ride the sled in deep snow rolling over the hood all day, and the sled runs as well as it does on hard pack. Without them, the sled will load up and run like a dog and be stuck all day.It just runs pig fat cuz it's starving for air.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
I disagree greatly on a couple of things on your list.

Anti-ratchets are a must running the steep and deep on these sleds. On a trail or setup snow, no. But deep and hardcore boondocking, I will never be without them.

Same goes for the slp flowrites and highflow airbox. On a trail or hard pack, I did not notice any difference either. However, ride the sled in deep snow rolling over the hood all day, and the sled runs as well as it does on hard pack. Without them, the sled will load up and run like a dog and be stuck all day.It just runs pig fat cuz it's starving for air.

Alright greatly disagreeable,

I amended the list to accomodate the Mountain guys, it's only been posted for 10 minutes, do you think I could get some time to fine tune it?

My goal is to assemble/fine tune this, kind of like a work in progress, and post it as a "sticky" so that it's there for quick access to help out others.

Thanks for your input

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
No sweat Kraven. I think it is great that you are doing this. It is just that those 2 are near the top of my must do list for mtn riding with the edge sleds.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Kraven: Really great info and mods. All with an edge should read it. I have a high mileage '04 800 and have to agree. Would only add 3 comments:

1) SLP single with the airbox and Vforce really woke mine up.

2) Don't run your track that loose in the Mt's. You'll racket and come down backwards!!

3) Best mod I did: ryde FX on the rear and WE shocks from a dragon on the front - Took a little grinding on the ft, but rides much smoother........

Lake,

Thanks for the input, I amneded the Flo-Rites/Air Horn for Mountain Riders

I didn't want to get into the more costly mods like pipes, because as you know already, the sky's the limit.

I wanted to provide a list of "Free Mods" and a lot of BASIC things that can be done inexpensively and ARE MOST OFTEN OVERLOOKED!

Thanks for your input

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
I'd recommend the high flow air horn just to make the airbox easier to get on and off.

It's already on the list near the bottom

Heading :DEBATEABLE FOR FLATLANDERS, PREFERRED BY MOUNTAIN RIDERS

1) SLP Big Air Kit

Last edited:
I
Nov 26, 2007
It's already on the list near the bottom

Heading :DEBATEABLE FOR FLATLANDERS, PREFERRED BY MOUNTAIN RIDERS

1) SLP Big Air Kit

I read your list :rolleyes:

"1) SLP Big Air Kit and Flo-Rites, ($42.95 + (2) X $19.95= approx $83.00) E-Z to install , I just didn't notice any difference that's all. However, they do cause a noticeable increase in intake noise, if you like your sled quiet, don't do this mod."

I added my thoughts on the product since you hadn't covered that aspect.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
I read your list :rolleyes:

"1) SLP Big Air Kit and Flo-Rites, ($42.95 + (2) X $19.95= approx $83.00) E-Z to install , I just didn't notice any difference that's all. However, they do cause a noticeable increase in intake noise, if you like your sled quiet, don't do this mod."

I added my thoughts on the product since you hadn't covered that aspect.

Alright,

I swapped to heading around to reflect the preference by Mountain Guys first

T

Toddstud2003

Nov 27, 2007
Denver,Colorado
Got any suggestions on the carb setting for 8-10000 ft. Air screw and fuel screw setting and e clip setting. I have 380 mag and 370 pto on main jets. Slp pipe and can,airbox and v-force reeds.
Its 02 polaris 800 RMK

RYDPWDR

Premium Member
Aug 15, 2002
Billings,MT
Got any suggestions on the carb setting for 8-10000 ft. Air screw and fuel screw setting and e clip setting. I have 380 mag and 370 pto on main jets. Slp pipe and can,airbox and v-force reeds.
Its 02 polaris 800 RMK

I run 330 mains at the same elevation...you are plenty fat IMO.

K
Feb 8, 2005
Yakima, Wa
Alternative to Anti-ratchet drivers

Run an extra set of drivers on the out side to pick up the outer drive lugs (4 total). I never thought it would work as good as it does. Did it to my 800 when I went to the 159 Challenger track and no more ratcheting and you don't have to run it banjo string tight either.
A friend of mine turned me on to this and he runs an Edge chassis with a 174" track and 1000 cc HTG motor so it definately puts this setup to the test and he has no ratcheting issues either.
Only down side is to re-install drive shaft you need to pull the chain case loose from the bulkhead, sounds like a PITA but if you know that going in it actually makes the install a ton easier.

H

highmarkedu

Nov 27, 2007
MT
just line up the engraved lines on oil pump if you look on the oil pump you will see them, adjust it where the cable connects to oil pump nut on opposite side just loosen and adjust hope this helps

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
4 drive wheels used on 2001 800's

Run an extra set of drivers on the out side to pick up the outer drive lugs (4 total). I never thought it would work as good as it does. Did it to my 800 when I went to the 159 Challenger track and no more ratcheting and you don't have to run it banjo string tight either.
A friend of mine turned me on to this and he runs an Edge chassis with a 174" track and 1000 cc HTG motor so it definately puts this setup to the test and he has no ratcheting issues either.
Only down side is to re-install drive shaft you need to pull the chain case loose from the bulkhead, sounds like a PITA but if you know that going in it actually makes the install a ton easier.

That 4 driver set-up came stock on the 2001 (only) 800 121" track, 2002 and newer went to 3 drivers????

And yes you're correct about the chaincase removal, I kinda got used to it, 3 bolts only, just moved it out approx 1" was enough to get 'er done!

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Oil pump setting

Great post!
1 question... I've noticed my 8hundo is an oil hungry SOB compared to the 2 7's I run with... so how do I check the oil pump calibration?

Check the alignment marks to line up @ full throttle, and go a little leaner from there.

I run 60:1, approx 22 ounces of oil per 10 gallons fuel.

Premium Features