• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

track shaft bearing replacement..Nytro

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
So I am replacing my track shaft bearings, along with my jack shaft bearings too. Been 2 years, about 2k miles on it. The clutch side track shaft bearing is completely shot, btw...

Anyways, I have reverse on my Nytro MTX. When people are changing out the bearings, are you also changing out the bearing for the reverse gear that is located in the chaincase cover?

Just curious as to what others thoughts are on the subject.

Man, it is going to be about 120 bucks for all the bearings and orings and crap. dang that is a lot of money.

Last edited:
P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
i changed mine out last year and it was almost shot at 3000 km as well .I just got done changing them again for this year and did only the 2 main bearings and seals . the clutch side bearing was $ 12 and the chain case bearing and seal was $ 7.50 at a bearing supply store

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
the clutch side bearing was $ 12 and the chain case bearing and seal was $ 7.50 at a bearing supply store

dang, that is a good deal cheaper then from Yamaha...

Thanks for the heads up.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I buy all my bearings from the bearing shop. NTN bearings or whatever you want are like 1/3 the price of the dealer.

M5

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
So I am replacing my track shaft bearings, along with my jack shaft too. Been 2 years, about 2k miles on it. The clutch side track shaft bearing is completely shot, btw...

Anyways, I have reverse on my Nytro MTX. When people are changing out the bearings, are you also changing out the bearing for the reverse gear that is located in the chaincase cover?

Man, it is going to be about 120 bucks for all the bearings and orings and crap. dang that is a lot of money.

I changed all the bearing but left the one in the chain case, it felt fine and it is not under any load. Also, I could not figure out how to get it out with an inside puller.

You replaced your jackshaft as well? That seems odd?

I used yami bearings this round, mostly because it is a turbo. Next time i would just buy them from a bearing supplier.

120$ is way cheaper then a chopper ride or fixing it on the hill and ruining the day.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I changed all the bearing but left the one in the chain case, it felt fine and it is not under any load. Also, I could not figure out how to get it out with an inside puller.

You replaced your jackshaft as well? That seems odd?

I used yami bearings this round, mostly because it is a turbo. Next time i would just buy them from a bearing supplier.

120$ is way cheaper then a chopper ride or fixing it on the hill and ruining the day.

I meant to say jack shaft bearings, not the shaft itself. I have corrected the post.

True about the cost. Definitely cheaper then a chopper ride, but there are just too many things that need to be replaced every year. Most of them are bushings and bearings...

M

MOONMAN

Sep 26, 2001
North Bend, WA.
WWW.EASTSIDEHARLEY.COM
So I am replacing my track shaft bearings, along with my jack shaft bearings too. Been 2 years, about 2k miles on it. The clutch side track shaft bearing is completely shot, btw...

Dude, just change out the whole sled!!! ;)

SSE

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
MN
Hey I hear ya not cheap to replace, and you may not want to hear it, but its been said "ya gota pay to play"!

E
Mar 13, 2008
yamaha really needs to put a grease fitting on the clutch side driveshaft fitting somehow or come up with a better design for people who put a lot of miles on in a year this can be a pain in the ***

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
All bearings come from the factory with the cheapest grease they can get a hold of . repack your bearings with a good quality synthetic grease and they will probably last twice as long . i repacked mine last year and with 3000 km on them they were like new compared to my factory bearings on the first year that were shot at 2000 km

M
Nov 26, 2007
Centennial CO
What, bearings shot already at that low of miles, I have almost 2,000 miles on mine???? I had not heard this one... What the hell is the matter with Yamaha???? I suppose there is no easy way to check them??

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
What, bearings shot already at that low of miles, I have almost 2,000 miles on mine???? I had not heard this one... What the hell is the matter with Yamaha???? I suppose there is no easy way to check them??

nothing is wrong with yamaha. Those bearings (at least the track shaft) should be replaced every year, period. Been like that on pretty much every sled I have ever owned.

Yes, you should change yours out. To check them, you need to remove the shaft. Not too bad, only a couple of hours worth of work max, to get them out.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Cowtown, AB
I did the drive shaft bearins on my apex this year @ 4600kms (stock motor). Clutch side was shot and chaincase side was a little rough. Top jack shaft on Chain side felt good...maybe I should change out the clutch side though as it's not gettting the chain lube splashed on the back side?

M
Nov 26, 2007
Centennial CO
I would say there was something wrong with Yammie in 2008 I have always owned Yammie and put thousands of miles on them and replacing the drive shaft bearings never even entered my thought process and never ever had any issues either.... I'm beginning think I have a skidoo chassis with a Yammie motor... :confused:

N
Feb 6, 2008
So what bearings should be replaced on these sleds as regular maintenance ? I'm taking my sled to the dealer for the exhaust donuts (warranty) on Tuesday, may as well get them to replace whatever bearings if needed while I'm there.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
So what bearings should be replaced on these sleds as regular maintenance ? I'm taking my sled to the dealer for the exhaust donuts (warranty) on Tuesday, may as well get them to replace whatever bearings if needed while I'm there.

Partially depends on mileage and hp. But, you want to replace both bearings on the driveshaft (clutch side and chaincase), and the bearing at the top of the chaincase. So at least those 3 bearings and the shop is going to charge you a fortune to change them but it is not a very hard job. The most important one is the driveshaft clutch side as it is exposed to the elements and not bathed in oil. You can change that one without pulling the drive shaft or suspension it is just easier if you do.

GL

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Pulled my drive shaft last night as I'm swapping out the track. Two toasted bearings. One on the driveshaft clutch side and upper chaincase one. Good timing on this, thanks for bringing it to my attention ruffy! All the bottom ones in the chaincase that were submerged in oil were fine though.

I got around 1200 miles and I'm basically stock (well exhaust and gearing). Just a heads up for everyone my driveshaft clutch side one was pretty bad off. In the least I'll be replacing that one every season now that I know.

N
Feb 6, 2008
The mechanic checked mine over yesterday, and surprisingly, they were all in decent shape. 5600 kms, never greased a single one ! He removed the shaft bearing, cleaned it up and repacked it, said it was one of the best he's seen with that many kms. He cleaned and repacked the ones in the chaincase as well when he was performing the reverse bolt service/replacement, said everything was in great shape and I'm good to go for a long time.

Premium Features