• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro Float Plate -Yay or Nay!

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I've heard mixed results with the float plates. I've heard they work in deep pow pow, but they can fill up with snow which melts and turns to ice, and that can cause it to pull the mounting points off or crack. Some guys tried drilling some holes to try to get rid of the ice and snow problem but I dont think it was ever really solved. I still have the stock skis and I think there was one time the float plate would have been helpful.

T

turbo nytro

Dec 14, 2008
Alberta
I have to agree with motojunkie , I have the wide float plate on mine , it's nice for deflecting the snow in the pow , but it does freeze the steering arms. I found this out the hard way turning out 1 time . Good thing for a turbo........

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
that float plate is terrible looking imo. just put the simmons gen 2 skis on there and get all the flotation you need without adding that garbage on the front end.

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
I have Gen2's on mine and love them. If anyone is interested i have a Skinz float plate(Black) brand new still in the platic.

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
I run a skinz plate. Yep it's a big ugly shovel. I got it mainly for stump bumping, as where I ride in WA is mainly below 5000ft littered with stumps, especially early season. I figured a second layer of plastic would help. I know I've taken a few hits in the front without any problems. That and it slid really good when I drove my sled up that 2 1/2ft wide tree last year. ;)

As for float, well the first time I rode after installing it was during a series of 2-3ft powder days, and my first down hill turns were insane. It seemed like a dramatic improvement over the day previous without the plate. Full on float, totally seemed like the front became a feather, but then again, that could have been totally psychological. I could've just been hella stoked on getting my best turns of the year.

Here's my fix for the stock brackets ripping off too, simple quick trip to Home Depot will solve your problem of the stock brackets tearing off:

skinzplatefrontfix.jpg

skinzplatefixtop.jpg

skinzplatefixsideL.jpg

I believe this is the current model with the hole:
DSC01591.jpg

One thing worthy of note, if you run a Yamaha cover, it's a real bastard to get on once you install the skinz..

scmurs

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
I figured anything to keep that front end up a bit in deep snow couldn't hurt. Mind you, I guess 240HP would do that but some of us are on a budget! Thanks........Sherm

Saw it first hand last year. The wide float plate, in powder, is an ice cube maker. Better have a heated trailer and a fairly large chisel if you are planning on running one.

That said, if you cut that big hole in the bottom to attempt to alleviate the ice build up, you have more than likely taken away any protection that you were hoping to get as well.

My .02

N
Feb 6, 2008
I use the Yamaha skidplate on mine, and it's served me well so far. Mind you, I don't have a long track sled, but I sometimes think I do ;) Last year, I rode over a rock hiding under the snow, stopped me dead in my tracks and got thrown right over the bars, but the sled was fine, just a gouge in the skidplate. For that, it was well worth the $$$. I find it helps with floatation and protects the sled, and I don't get a crazy amount of ice build-up either.

Below are pics of where I thought I could go with my shorty, and of course, what ended up happening...lol ! Lotsa fun though :D

Highlands April 1st 2009 029.jpg FX Nytro Stuck.jpg Highlands April 1st 2009 028.jpg FX Nytro on her side.jpg

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I like the idea.. It is interesting that sleds have changed from having a boat hull like front end, to almost nothing on the front except for the skiis to keep you up on plane.

I have heard the gen II's work great in powder, but are not very good in the spring conditions. I know lots of people that have taken them off....

It looks like the float plate is a good idea, just poor exicution. You almost need to close the whole area off. Might be a means of adding more storage too. hmm.....

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
www.reelfishingadventues.net
The Nytro does have alot more "stuff" hanging out in the open up front at compared to what my Rev had. Therein lies the problem with it not doing so well in the deep stuff, to much friction slowing it down! I'd like to find some way to "smooth" that front area out.........Sherm

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
The Nytro does have alot more "stuff" hanging out in the open up front at compared to what my Rev had. Therein lies the problem with it not doing so well in the deep stuff, to much friction slowing it down! I'd like to find some way to "smooth" that front area out.........Sherm

I think the float plate, then a couple cans of that expanding foam stuff might do the trick... I have been thinking about that one... How do you keep snow out.. well put something better in it's place!!

Might have to use saran wrap on to make sure that you can remove all the stuff afterwords.

I don't know...

Premium Features