• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone considering a 2010 FX Nytro MTX SE?

A
Aug 7, 2009
Berthoud Colorado
I read something on these about 2-3 weeks ago. They said that with the weight savings the 153" 2010 that it goes everywhere and more then the (Sorry I was wrong they compared it to the APEX) 09 162"s. Also says this about the 162".

They did say this. In total, the new 162-inch suspension is nearly 10 pounds lighter than the 2009 Nytro MTX 153-inch rear suspension!

Hell I am sold and I'm not even in the market for a sled. lol

Let me find the article I was reading. I will post a link to it. I think I have it bookmarked on my work comp.

Last edited:

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I read something on these about 2-3 weeks ago. They said that with the weight savings the 153" 2010 that it goes everywhere and more then the 09 162"s.

There is no such thing as an 09 162 - not from the factory.

What you probably read was that the SE's go as good/better than the Apex. I think AMSNOT & SW both had similar articles on that.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Even Yamaha admitted in their promo video that the 2010 Nytro will outclimb an Apex...which is a good reason why this is the last year for the Apex. No reason to have a heavier machine that doesn't perform as well as "little brother" does.

N
Feb 6, 2008
Even Yamaha admitted in their promo video that the 2010 Nytro will outclimb an Apex...which is a good reason why this is the last year for the Apex. No reason to have a heavier machine that doesn't perform as well as "little brother" does.

And the ever so popular question IS.....what will replace the Apex, and are we better off waiting for it, or go for the FX Nytro MTX SE now ??? It's surely obvious that the Apex is done after this year. There's no Apex MTX available in the Canadian line-up anymore, and the R1 motorcycle has taken a different approach in engine configuration once again, so one can only assume that Yamaha has something coming out for 2011.

So, when is the revealing of the 2011 sleds again ??? :D

A
Aug 7, 2009
Berthoud Colorado
Yeah your right they were compareing it to the Apex 162" my bad. Sorry about that.
I have to say that they are VERY impressive sleds. If I didn't have some other bills to pay off I would be in line to get a new sled as well.

VERY HARD decision for you Christopher.

S

spikeydave

Oct 17, 2009
2010 162 nytro up here quoted $14,000cdn plus 5% GST & setup. not bad considering the MSRP is $16,299

Where was this? Te best I have so far is 15k+gst. If you could let me knwo I'd greatly appreciate it as I am in Alberta as well and looking at the '10 MTX SE 162".

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
No matter what you pull the trigger on you'll have a good sled Chris. If you go 153, you can always swap tracks and extend it to 162 pretty easy. On the other hand if you wanted to go from a 162 to a 153 you'll have a lot more work on your hands.

N
Feb 6, 2008
No matter what you pull the trigger on you'll have a good sled Chris. If you go 153, you can always swap tracks and extend it to 162 pretty easy. On the other hand if you wanted to go from a 162 to a 153 you'll have a lot more work on your hands.

So what about making the 153" SE into a 144" ? Personally, I'd like to see an XTX SE with the same features as this years' MTX SE (new track approach angle, new suspension front and back, new tunnel etc.) but with a 1.75" lug. That would be the perfect sled for my riding area ! Would this be a lot of work, and CAN it work ? :confused:

I'm finding out about the 153 SE tomorrow. Dealer has a trade in offer ready, just have to hear how bad it's gonna be....

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
And the ever so popular question IS.....what will replace the Apex, and are we better off waiting for it, or go for the FX Nytro MTX SE now ??? It's surely obvious that the Apex is done after this year. There's no Apex MTX available in the Canadian line-up anymore, and the R1 motorcycle has taken a different approach in engine configuration once again, so one can only assume that Yamaha has something coming out for 2011.

So, when is the revealing of the 2011 sleds again ??? :D

the replacement of the apex is what i have been ambitously waiting for, i didn;t think a new nytro was worth it compared to how my apex performs now, i think the replacement of the apex is gonna be close to taking top honours for highest hp stock sled.

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I had an '08 153, changed the track, skid and clutching. After the mods, I NEVER got stuck....ok, I got stuck once, but it was a day where we were on a mission to get stuck....anyway, the performance in the fluff GREATLY improved, and it was with the old approach angle. I REALLY think the '10's will be surprising people on the mountain...especially those nay-sayers who believe a 4 stroke is too heavy and cannot handle the pow pow.

However, the state of the economy and the $ in R&D put into the new Nytro MTX's, I really wonder if we'll see the Apex replacement in an MTX form. Maybe a refined Nytro motor with a boost of 20 hp could be possible......dunno? Fun to guess and hope though!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
VERY HARD decision for you Christopher.
I plan on making my decission this weekend at the Snow Show in Salt Lake City.

Yamaha was not at the Boise show last month, so I didn't get a hands on opportunity. But this time I will, and I will have the test riders from last spring to speak with who have some real hours riding these.

N
Feb 6, 2008
Well guys, I was offered 5g for the Phazer FX towards the 153 SE, but I think I'm going to go with a straight sale instead, just not worth the wrath of the gf if I were to let the lil half pint go for so little. ;) I made an offer similar to stevo10's quote on the SE, so we'll see what happens...

M
Jun 9, 2008
Maine
Ive been lightly harassing my dealer every other week, with no luck. NyTrOMaNIaC, you're in Nova Scotia right? Do the dealers you're talking to have them in stock? I'd think if your dealer had his mine would be getting his pretty quick.

N
Feb 6, 2008
Ive been lightly harassing my dealer every other week, with no luck. NyTrOMaNIaC, you're in Nova Scotia right? Do the dealers you're talking to have them in stock? I'd think if your dealer had his mine would be getting his pretty quick.

Yep, Cape Breton, NS to be exact. My dealer has to do a trade to get the sled for me (Apex LTX GT for FX Nytro MTX SE 153), so I'm assuming it's in New Brunswick or somewhere within the Atlantic Provinces. Best he could do on a straight sale is $14,400 plus tax. I might be leaning towards the trade afterall....

****UPDATE **** Pulled the trigger on the MTX SE 153 a few mins ago ! Took the trade in deal and landed a skid plate to be thrown in. Should be here in a week or so. Turns out, the gf wasn't all that concerned, especially since she's getting a well set up RTX in exchange. I'll post pics once I pick it up.

Last edited:

scmurs

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
****UPDATE **** Pulled the trigger on the MTX SE 153 a few mins ago ! Took the trade in deal and landed a skid plate to be thrown in. Should be here in a week or so. Turns out, the gf wasn't all that concerned, especially since she's getting a well set up RTX in exchange. I'll post pics once I pick it up.

Congrats Brother! :D

I would have made the dealer throw in a relocator kit too :)

Did you go Black or Blue? Post up pics when you get her.

scmurs

Premium Features