• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HUGE VOTE TODAY!!!!!!!!! 2 Million ACRES in 9 States

:mad:Here is the article on USA today.
I have also posted it. This is serious.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...lderness_N.htm

2 million acres up for 'wilderness' designation

WILDERNESS PROTECTION

A bill up for a House vote today would add wilderness areas in nine states (in acres):

California: 700,634

Idaho: 517,000

Utah: 260,000

Colorado: 250,000

Oregon: 201,300

Virginia: 43,000

West Virginia: 37,771

New Mexico: 16,000

Michigan: 11,739

WASHINGTON — Congress is on the brink of barring all development on huge swaths of forest and desert in nine states, in what would be the most sweeping land-protection law in 15 years.
Land-preservation advocates, such as Paul Spitler of the Wilderness Society, say the bill's passage may usher in a new era of wilderness protection.

"We're likely to see new wilderness legislation for years to come," Spitler says. "This is the start of a wave here."

The House of Representatives is set to vote today on a bill to declare more than 2 million acres of public land to be official "wilderness." That means no logging, mining, or vehicles, not even mountain bikes, are allowed.

Passage is "fairly likely," says Interior Department spokeswoman Kendra Barkoff, whose boss, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, plans to be at the Capitol today to celebrate.

The bill would then go to President Obama.

Some of the land that would receive wilderness status lies within national parks. Other parcels are federal forestland or rangeland that lack stringent protections.

Among the areas that would be protected:

•Idaho's Owyhee Canyonlands, vast prairies cut by deep river canyons.

•Oregon's Mount Hood, including old-growth forests.

•West Virginia's Roaring Plains, a high plateau clothed in spruce groves and bogs.

The approval of the bill would be a boon for backpackers but a disappointment to the millions of Americans who like to see wild places via mountain bike, snowmobile or four-wheel-drive truck, which are all barred from entering wilderness areas.

"We're sick of condos, same as the environmental groups," says Brian Hawthorne of the BlueRibbon Coalition, which backs motorized recreation. "We want to conserve these public lands but we want the recreational uses there to be maintained."

The bill would also place off-limits reserves of oil and gas in a half-dozen wilderness areas, drawing the ire of some congressional Republicans, including Rep. Doc Hastings of Washington, the ranking Republican on the House Natural Resources Committee.

"When the federal government shuts down energy production here in America, we're sending good-paying jobs overseas," Hastings said on the House floor this month during debate before an earlier vote.

Congress has not set aside such a large amount of wilderness since 1994, when it passed legislation to protect millions of acres of California desert. That bill was passed shortly before the Democrats lost control of Congress.

The Democrats regained control of the House and Senate after the 2006 elections and consolidated their gains in November, making it easier to overcome opposition to wilderness bills.

Lawmakers who back the bill say support is growing for land preservation.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, says she's "optimistic" that Congress can make "a fresh start with public lands legislation and find a way to find consensus on these types of bills."

Rep. Raúl Grijalva, D-Ariz., has said he's likely to introduce a bill to establish wilderness in southern Arizona. Another bill introduced last month by Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-N.Y., would declare new wilderness in five Western states

S

springer

Feb 1, 2008
Washington
Sometime back a Greenpeice master plan of sorts was leaked to the press.It called for an organized approach to getting public lands, back to the pristine conditions,of the late 1800's.The plan was simple;Calling on government to increase wilderness,limiting oil,gas,mining,forestry,grazing as well as public access.Also phazing out farming though increase epa regulation. Going to an high tech society importanting all that was needed from third world countries,thus bringing their economies up.
They said it could not happen. Guess again!!!!!!!

G
Jan 29, 2009
Walla Walla, Washington
Environmentalists need to get a god dam life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A
Aug 3, 2008
North Idaho
Wow! That was an eye opener. Better get busy reading up on this. I will say this, that is what happens when the working man has to keep working because the other 70% is sitting at home living off the system.

O
Mar 10, 2008
Hr980

I find it difficult to understand how Rep. Carolyn Mahoney from New York and her cronies have any insight into why HR 980 should be implemented to close one and one quarter million acres in the states of Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington and Wyoming to recreational uses. It is along way form their front doorsteps. I certainly hope that that her goal and those introducing this bill with her is not out to waive the green ecosystem flag of influence in the Washington DC lobbyists priorities faces to take away the use of our public lands and later hand them over to special interest groups for oil exploration under "other purposes". The hearing date for this bill has past and I wish her and the other eastern legislators better luck in passing "needed bills" in her own part of the country with the admonishment of leaving us 'red-necks' in the west alone. The bulk of the National Forest Land and public land affected by this bill is already so rugged and inhospitable that it really requires little protection or jurisdiction. No mention is made as to how this restoration and or so called recovery will be funded within the three year implementation period.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
I find it difficult to understand how Rep. Carolyn Mahoney from New York and her cronies have any insight into why HR 980 should be implemented to close one and one quarter million acres in the states of Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington and Wyoming to recreational uses. It is along way form their front doorsteps. I certainly hope that that her goal and those introducing this bill with her is not out to waive the green ecosystem flag of influence in the Washington DC lobbyists priorities faces to take away the use of our public lands and later hand them over to special interest groups for oil exploration under "other purposes". The hearing date for this bill has past and I wish her and the other eastern legislators better luck in passing "needed bills" in her own part of the country with the admonishment of leaving us 'red-necks' in the west alone. The bulk of the National Forest Land and public land affected by this bill is already so rugged and inhospitable that it really requires little protection or jurisdiction. No mention is made as to how this restoration and or so called recovery will be funded within the three year implementation period.

I think that bill closes 25 million acres in those states. Basically, everything I ride. and a whole lot more.

Thats why they consider this "no big deal" because it doesn't directly affect them... If it were the other way around things would be different... one day... one day:mad::mad:

D

DOO DAWG

Dec 9, 2007
Arlington Wa. USA
Thats why they consider this "no big deal" because it doesn't directly affect them... If it were the other way around things would be different... one day... one day:mad::mad:

It SURE felt good to post this on a couple hunting forums that have a few people on them who support closures and I have warned them about aligning themselveswith the greenies and how they just might be anti hunting/anti gun also. Here's your proof boys!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Jim,

Loaded weapons in our National Parks?

It's already passed in the Senate.

Your action is needed today to keep our parks safe.

This week, the U.S. House of Representatives may vote on a bill of great concern to those who cherish our national parks and the wildlife they host.

Believe it or not, we're talking about the Credit Cardholders' Bill of Rights Act. What does credit reform have to do with national parks? Nothing. Yet, astonishingly, Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., has attached a rider to the bill that would allow individuals to carry loaded weapons in national parks. Take action now.

If the bill passes with the rider attached, anyone would be allowed to carry loaded weapons – including semi-automatics – in our national parks.

Can you imagine the implications for wildlife poaching and visitor safety?

Not only is this a dangerous idea but it makes no sense attaching it to a bill that seeks to help Americans in difficult times.

This bill passed the Senate last week. It's now up to us to stop the rider – take action now.

The gun effort has been widely opposed by park rangers and seven former directors of the Park Service who say it would increase the risk of poaching and vandalism of historic resources and put visitors at risk.

Please tell your Representative to stop this ill-conceived idea and to keep our beloved parks free of loaded weapons.

Sincerely,

Kathy Kilmer
The Wilderness Society

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
Hunters for Wilderness Areas are FOOLS. If the enviros are trying to kick out Mountain Bikes and even Kite Boarders what the he11 makes them think they aren't on the list.
Same with horse riders...really anyone who doesn't hike is on that list and I GUARANTEE eventually Wilderness WILL be foot travel only and no hunting.....YEAAAHHH lets just sit at home and watch TV....then we can sue the Greenies for making us fat and lazy....er.

Hunters for Wilderness Areas are FOOLS. If the enviros are trying to kick out Mountain Bikes and even Kite Boarders what the he11 makes them think they aren't on the list.
Same with horse riders...really anyone who doesn't hike is on that list and I GUARANTEE eventually Wilderness WILL be foot travel only and no hunting.....YEAAAHHH lets just sit at home and watch TV....then we can sue the Greenies for making us fat and lazy....er.

HAHAHA!!! I bet we could get away with it.. they can knock our sleds out of parks, why couldn't we sue for enforcement of obesity???

D

DOO DAWG

Dec 9, 2007
Arlington Wa. USA

Fools...when I read this I could do nothing but aggree. Sure wish more of us would join that forum so I wouldn't be a lone voice in the wild...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

09:54:16 AM »

What does allowing guns in National Parks have to do with wilderness areas? This thread was about wilderness areas, right? The email you listed is about National Parks. Two different machines. Either you're seriously confused over the differences between the two, or you're intentionally trying to mislead people in order to gather votes against the wilderness bill. The bill that supports guns in national parks has nothing to do with the bill that supports wilderness areas.
For the listener, who listens in the snow,
And, nothing himself, beholds
Nothing that is not there and the nothing that is.
Elkaholic daWg

Re: Legislation Would Close Public Lands to Many Forms of Recreation Reintroduced
« Reply #17 on: Today at 08:04:18 AM »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please tell your Representative to stop this ill-conceived idea and to keep our beloved parks free of loaded weapons.

Sincerely,

Kathy Kilmer
The Wilderness Society
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/quote]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Confused eh? I see nothing confusing there. Same people + different issue= My whole point! Misleading???

Last edited:
W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Fools...when I read this I could do nothing but aggree. Sure wish more of us would join that forum so I wouldn't be a lone voice in the wild...

Dang DooDawg, that's some confused people. So, your not under threat, walking down the street with who knows how many concealed permit carriers. But suddenly, some hiker with a pistol is going to take grizzlies, and threaten the defenseless hikers. I think this whole argument started when Parks said you couldn't bring your concealed carry gun onto federal land, with no valid reason. Heck, obviously the fool's never actually been hiking in a real park, with bears. Sure, no one brings a gun. Noooooo, not any guns in any backpacks. If the idiot only knew how many people where already armed in the park. I wouldn't take my kids hiking in Grizz country, without a 41mag.

BTW, maybe your the lone voice, because you havn't stated where this forum is.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
This is going to kill the MTN sled lineup for the big 4, 90% of the buyers ride these areas. So is all of cooke city and west yellowstone in this?

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Ok by my math thats 2,037,144 acres.

Question, how in the world are they going to enforce it ? The staff they have now is overworked ? I am not suggesting lets go violate these provisions, but how does this make any sense ?

Premium Features