• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

17 RMK no start/ hard start/erratic idle/die on reverse

ccat

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2009
Hi everyone.

I installed RK Tek pistons last Fall. Added a mix of oil to the first tank of fuel as per the service manual says. Sled ran awesome on the fist ride of the season. Put it in the trailer and the next morning it was dead. That was the first week of December, and it hasn't ran since. It fired up for the first dealer and they adjusted the TPS because it was off. Got it back home and it ran well enough to get it off the truck and in the garage.

A few weeks later it was back on the the truck. The weather was -35c to -40c up here in Alberta, and the sled was out in that for about five days. Fired up in two pulls at a friends house to load it in the trailer. Idled great. Shut it down, and then wouldn't start again. When it did start, idle was very low or high, died going into reverse, and sputtered/popped/bogged around 6k rpm when I rode around the house. The plugs were very oily, and oil was spitting/leaking out the header/ pipe connection. Put in new plugs, gaped perfect. Wouldn't fire after 30+ pulls.

I'm using Shell Advance Ultra full synthetic, plugs are gaped perfect, plug wires snap on nice and hold tight, dealer checked all connections and used di grease, or so they say.

Its at a second dealer now. Nothing comes up on DW. It fired right up and they test rode it in their back property. Said it runs and sounds great.????

Can a dealer only adjust the oil pump output with DW? Is there an over/under oil pump code? I asked this dealer about the excessive oil and they said nothing comes up on DW, but I've never had all that oil before.

Last two seasons have been great on this sled. Did the cold just really get to it? Maybe I have to manually adjust the TPS like I have been reading.

Anyway, that's my story.

Thanks for any help.

Premium Features