• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powdercoating Axys Running Boards?

B

braapin

Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Wanting to powdercoat my running boards instead of buying new. They have the glue in the tube. Same glue that overstructure has. Was wondering if powdercoating can weaken that glue at all??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Low heat coating for sure, we use Lords,420dp and such a LOT with boats imho I would NOT heat them to 400 to coat. May or may not come apart, and the coating guys are not going to clamp and support it, its going to get hung in a rack and shoved in a oven, it comes apart, not there problem :face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Low heat coating for sure, we use Lords,420dp and such a LOT with boats imho I would NOT heat them to 400 to coat. May or may not come apart, and the coating guys are not going to clamp and support it, its going to get hung in a rack and shoved in a oven, it comes apart, not there problem :face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho

Umm the running board ends are riveted and slide into a socket.

It’s not going to move, much less come apart.

Just coat the stupid things.

(Cures the boot shredding business)

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Me personally, I'd recommend against a gloss finish. Had a really hard time staying on my buddy's boards last year with a gloss finish and he said he would never do it again.

B

braapin

Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Me personally, I'd recommend against a gloss finish. Had a really hard time staying on my buddy's boards last year with a gloss finish and he said he would never do it again.

Anyone ever done powdercoating with a little bit of texture in the finish - almost like an undercoating look to it?

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Anyone ever done powdercoating with a little bit of texture in the finish - almost like an undercoating look to it?

Hmm, I don't think I've ever seen it but that's an interesting idea. Not sure if they can do it. Anything is possible with enough money though!! Haha.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

Yes textured Powdercoat is pretty common.

Often it’s two tone.

Pick your poison, snow buildup from texture or gloss powder.

(Personally glossy powder worked excellent for my running boards)

Add a couple traction screws in the rear bracket.

baaa52f6c9077a6fb5fc69015ffbaaff.jpg

Last edited:
B

braapin

Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Thinking of some traction screws along outside edge of running board- anyone done that ? Just used regular self-tappers?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Thinking of some traction screws along outside edge of running board- anyone done that ? Just used regular self-tappers?

Kold kutters.

It’s what b&m fab sends out with their running boards.

I’ve built several sets and used them.

Pre drill and screw in a test piece of aluminum to find the right pilot bit. (Too small and they snap off)

Premium Features