• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Upper Michigan Backcountry Guide

You doing weekdays or only weekends? Whens primetime Mid january or Late march?

Prime time UP riding is January. Early to mid February can be good as well, but it depends on how much ice is on Superior. Weekends for sure, and probably Tuesdays and Thursdays. Not sure yet tho because I'm a college student and haven't set my schedule for the spring semester yet

T
Apr 11, 2018
SE WI
Might have to meet up with ya sometime this winter! Let us know you school schedule when you get it. A riding buddy and I work 4 days on 4 days off so we get a lot of time off during the week as well.

My schedule is finished for the winter/spring semester. I am open all day every Saturday and Sunday, and on Mondays and Fridays anytime after 11 AM. Other week days could be open as well depending on the week. I'm really looking forward to the start of the season! I will keep everyone updated on conditions here on this thread. Hoping for a big snow year, it's already been dumping here in the Keweenaw! :eyebrows:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MCAQfC2zSJQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is a sight for sore eyes!

5-10SNOW1220.jpg

The UP backcountry is open for business. A low snowpack for this time of year so watch for stumps but you can still have fun in the woods. Supposed to cool off at the end of the week and have some potential for lake effect snows in the 12"-24" range. Let me know if you want me to show you and/or your group around for a day or two.

a>

Last edited:
Snow is starting to get good in the keweenaw. i snuck out in between classes to snag a few quick clips. supposed to get another foot or so before the weekend!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T9Z1_jBH2oY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

J
Feb 4, 2011
vt
Hows the riding there this year so far? Looking to possibly check it out for our first time.
Not much snow here in Vermont at the moment.
I have a snow bike and a few mt sleds.
Any good places you can recommend to stay? probably jan 16 to jan 22..
thanks in advance for the info.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Hows the riding there this year so far? Looking to possibly check it out for our first time.
Not much snow here in Vermont at the moment.
I have a snow bike and a few mt sleds.
Any good places you can recommend to stay? probably jan 16 to jan 22..
thanks in advance for the info.

I would recommend that you continue north through The Soo and head to Wawa, Ontario.
You can hit The Badlands and other places with some guidance if staying a while.
Polaris dealership outside of town. May have to drive down to The Soo (2.5 hrs) for others tho?

If you are staying off trail - you can get away without a trail pass, but day passes are available online @ ofsc.on.ca (not real cheap)

Gordy hasn't posted a new report in a few days, but I'm sure that he will soon.

If you stay in the area - I recommend riding over to Hawk Jctn and picking up the chain of lakes and ride north up to Missinabi.
If you call ahead, Ernie will get you a burger and gas.
Otherwise then you can ride back west to Dubreuilville and pick up the Magpie River on the way back south.
Very nice day trip if you are OK on water?
Watch for heaves! Don't overdrive your eyesight!

The folks at The Bristol or Jones Power Sports can point you in the directions.

Premium Features