• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Relocating skid in tunnel vs relocating lower shock arm

V
Dec 30, 2018
moving the track to the 13 position with a longer shock an inch back , the 16 fts is 12.25.. would I then let the limiter straps out? how would this effect the suspension?

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
Bumping this back up for any more input. Still torn between going with either the 13 or the 14 mounting location. Trip is coming up in a couple weeks so I need to do something!

IMO, If you have a 153” I recommend the 14 location if you have a 162 I would try the 13 location.

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
moving the track to the 13 position with a longer shock an inch back , the 16 fts is 12.25.. would I then let the limiter straps out? how would this effect the suspension?

If you either relocate the lower mounting hole of your FT shock .75” forward you can let out the limiter straps, or if you put the longer ‘16 shock in there. Either way gives you more suspension travel in that section of the rear skid

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT

If you do that, make sure the track windows are not riding right on your rail tips. With my 2014 skid in it's stock position, increased preload on the FTS, stock limiter position, and an anti-stab kit the track clips were putting a pretty good beating on the rail caps. Don't want an accidental track stab. The 2016+ sleds do have a longer track shock, but the rail profile is also significantly different in the front. The earlier XF sleds used a longer FTS too I believe, but the skids use the high mount in the tunnel so they can use the extra travel without forcing the front of the skid down toward the track.

V
Dec 30, 2018
so I put in the longer shock in the idler wheel hole , added the rear brackets, drilled to the 14 location up front, limiter strap in middle hole and it fit on my 12 hcr, just barely. then I said screw it and ordered the 2.6 track. the ol' track had 2000 miles on it and was slightly cupped over, it was time. I might need to go back to the 13 position due to the 'new' track, I'm sure they stretch a bit over time, but atleast I know that I will be able to let the limiter straps out now without adverse effects on the shock. I would think that in the 14 position the track would be less likely to stab, as it is further from the drivers, and the approach angle is not as steep? 8tooth drivers, anti stab kit as well

Premium Features