• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fox Float 3 Evol pressure all over the place.

F
Oct 20, 2015
North Pole Alaska
Soooo more than likely this is due to these being my first time with air shocks, but I just got a set of float 3 evols on the front. put 60 psi in the main and went for a ride on the local trails. way too stiff. dropped them down to 50. a little better, rode some more but decided to drop them down a bit more. Hooked up my pump and now they are at a little over 70psi... wtf? so I dropped them down to 50 and unhooked and rehooked now theyre at like 62. I dropped both down to 50 again and rode and they felt alright.

The heck was up with the air pressures? I had been hitting little jumps like 2ft of air about 5 mins prior. would that heat up the air inside and cause a different reading?

Not sure what my evols are at. I didn't adjust them from out of the box.

F
Oct 20, 2015
North Pole Alaska
Thats the chart I used when i first added air. also, if you're only adjusting the main pressure, what would you do with the evol chamber? Can the evol chamber be whatever or is it supposed to stay within a certain range of the main pressure?

I didnt even think about the weight on the shocks. That makes sense. smaller space with same air = higher pressure.. duh. So just tilt it up on one ski, and adjust yeah?

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
As AK said.
Adjust the Evol chamber first, best results seem to be keeping the the air pressure 20 or more psi above your target Main pressure. The Evol chamber is there for extra bottom out resistance, when you need it.

Always adjust with weight off shocks, out in the field that means lay the sled on its side.

In your case I’d let the air out of everything and start from zero. I’ve had the main chamber and Evol chambers equalize before. Due to low Evol pressure and higher main, which caused the Evol piston to be pressed in the wrong position.
Letting all the air out,filling the Evol first prevents that.

M
Dec 17, 2016
Northern Illinois
Like others said ensure that there is no weight on the shocks when you are adjusting the pressures. Also if you set the pressure lets say to 60 psi and disconnect the pump, your pressure is now 60 psi in the shock. The next time you connect the pump the higher pressure air in the shock rushes into the pump air hose and gauge effectively lowering the pressure slightly. So your new pressure may now be 58 psi.What ever your gauge is reading before you disconnect is what is in the line, that air you hear rush out as you disconnect is the pressurized air leaving the pump line and gauge not the shock. These are a few things I've learned running ox shocks on my mountain bike and sled the past few years that I was unsure of at first.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Tap your gauge a few times as well. The Fox pump and gauge is about as janky as you can get. Generally tapping the gauge changes the reading 5lbs. At least with the 6 or 7 I have laying around.

F
Oct 20, 2015
North Pole Alaska
My problem was definitely because I had weight on the shocks. I even got on the machine and shook the front end around a bit to get it to "settle out" doh... Makes so much sense why that would screw up the pressure. Wasn't thinking at the time I guess.

N
Dec 18, 2012
Bothell, Wa
Don't set pressures in your garage and expect them to be the same on the mountain either. Psi changes 1 per 10 degrees of change. Also the evol chamber presure changes the curve of the response and works in conjunction with the main chamber. 50/120 is a good starting spot for the front. If you have the qs3 that can make compression adjustments for the day too

JJ on this forum can articulate and explain air shocks extremely well if he chimes in.

Premium Features