• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Season 2018/2019 What bike have you set up for Snowbiking?

Season 2018/2019 What bike have you set up for Snowbiking?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
31172391177_a6c165ad8a_h_d.jpg

P
Jan 3, 2018
NH
I picked up a 2016 Short Track for a steal last year and threw it on my 2009 Husaberg FE 570.

Going all-in on getting my setup reliable for whatever riding I'll be able to do here in New Hampshire this season.

sWC4mBR.gif
8pJu4oj.gif

Last edited:

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
Nice½

2018 yz450f
2016 yeti 120 with the soft strut

Feels like a completely new animal compared to my 2014 turbo yz450f st120
eeb6665e60c52323b2e817fb9fa1990e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Interesting and nice bikes! What are the differences in feel and caracter them between? Advantages and dissadvantages would also be interesting to hear.

//Rob

DanielMerrick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2014
Northern Ontario Canada
Interesting and nice bikes! What are the differences in feel and caracter them between? Advantages and dissadvantages would also be interesting to hear.

//Rob
Advantage is mostly in the advancements in technology and higher end product, I ran a 2017 ts raw on the boosted 2014 and felt like I was riding an ad-boivin again. The yetis weight difference and ride quality where extremely noticeable. The ts has the low end shocks and a fix strut vs fox floats and soft strut. One thing I noticed but its been mentioned many times is the yeti ski on crust is not the best. It took some adjusting but I do enjoy it in the powder.

The boost was amazing, I ran 8-9psi on stock internals with headstuds. You could almost stop in 5th And roll into the throttle and it would just pull hard. It was wicked for straight climbs. I ride at around 900feet in elevation, I boosted it to prove a point Haha. We pulled the turbo off the 2014 and ran it n/a to better compare. The 2018 felt much crisper and the new tuning app is a nice for mid ride adjustments. I ran pcv and auto tune on the 2014 but i couldn't get it the same. The boost was amazing and pulled hard but it took the dirt bike feel away. This year I'm going to run a nitrous kit from starting line products on the 2018.

The electric start is by far my favorite part of the new setup. After a work place accident I would struggle kickstarting the bike in though terrain. In the summer the 2018 felt like it was on rails and went where you wanted to go with ease. (Ride dune, single track and a variety of terrain).

Hopefully its helpful Haha.

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
Thx for the interesting comments. Seems like we have a similar feel for boosted bikes.

//Rob

Advantage is mostly in the advancements in technology and higher end product, I ran a 2017 ts raw on the boosted 2014 and felt like I was riding an ad-boivin again. The yetis weight difference and ride quality where extremely noticeable. The ts has the low end shocks and a fix strut vs fox floats and soft strut. One thing I noticed but its been mentioned many times is the yeti ski on crust is not the best. It took some adjusting but I do enjoy it in the powder.

The boost was amazing, I ran 8-9psi on stock internals with headstuds. You could almost stop in 5th And roll into the throttle and it would just pull hard. It was wicked for straight climbs. I ride at around 900feet in elevation, I boosted it to prove a point Haha. We pulled the turbo off the 2014 and ran it n/a to better compare. The 2018 felt much crisper and the new tuning app is a nice for mid ride adjustments. I ran pcv and auto tune on the 2014 but i couldn't get it the same. The boost was amazing and pulled hard but it took the dirt bike feel away. This year I'm going to run a nitrous kit from starting line products on the 2018.

The electric start is by far my favorite part of the new setup. After a work place accident I would struggle kickstarting the bike in though terrain. In the summer the 2018 felt like it was on rails and went where you wanted to go with ease. (Ride dune, single track and a variety of terrain).

Hopefully its helpful Haha.

M
Mar 12, 2018
Sandpoint, ID
I borrowed a 2013 120 Mountainhorse and will give it a shot before I buy anything. Not sure if I will like it....

I’m curious how your 300 TPI works out. I have one, but decided to put my kit on my 2014 500 this year instead. My first year of this, but have already decided a sled is leaving (wife’s), and will add a second snow bike for next year.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I’m curious how your 300 TPI works out. I have one, but decided to put my kit on my 2014 500 this year instead. My first year of this, but have already decided a sled is leaving (wife’s), and will add a second snow bike for next year.

Turbos and 2 strokes have the same problem a very narrow bower band once you shift you fall of the power unless you clutch the heck out of it.

Top end power is fine on the 2 stroke just not enough on the bottom even with modern equipment.
Don't get me wrong , they are fun as can be --- until you run around with 450s and swap out bikes -- that is where you notice you are missing 50% of bottom end torque and the power band is about 1/2 as long as on the 4 stroke. The deeper the snow the more you notice.
Even the CR 500 ported and piped about 10+ hp more than most 450s suffers a bit from that although top end power is awesome.

J

JTAB

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman Montana
www.lientransportation.com
300 tpi

Bike was awesome track and kit bad. All it did was spin I would think a 129 with a deep lug track would be fun. Power was good fuel delivery was spot on. Can’t wait to ride in the dirt.

M
Mar 12, 2018
Sandpoint, ID
Bike was awesome track and kit bad. All it did was spin I would think a 129 with a deep lug track would be fun. Power was good fuel delivery was spot on. Can’t wait to ride in the dirt.
Well I love my 300 for dirt riding, but wasn’t sure how it would be with a kit. Funny I’m getting two differing opinions. I figured no way it would handle the 129 track. My buddy uses a 120 ARO with his 2016 Husky. I rode it and liked it, but didn’t try in deep snow.

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
Well I love my 300 for dirt riding, but wasn’t sure how it would be with a kit. Funny I’m getting two differing opinions. I figured no way it would handle the 129 track. My buddy uses a 120 ARO with his 2016 Husky. I rode it and liked it, but didn’t try in deep snow.

Me and my buddy are riding at sea level and have Tedesled kits, but the 300 TPI that we both now have has won the place from exc500s and neither of us would change back. In heavy conditions the 500 can tractor thru a bit better and has approx 15% better milage. That and the fact that it is more relaxing to travel long transports on the 500 is the only thing we find an advantage with the big 4strokes.

The 300 TPI has great bottom end torque and have no problems at all with the dreaded carb freeze as compared to the old carbed bikes. We have ridden the TPIs in -25 degrees celcius and it runs flawlessly. Also the 300 2stroke is so much more flickable/nimble in the woods even when track kit is mounted. Great combo if you have kit that is both light and easy to turn the track on. :nod:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
doesnt count. Its clearly not defined as a snowbike in section C 1-12 in the snowbike handbook :bowl:[/QUOTE

:) A snowbike pops in the group every once in a while , he's got pretty much all of the bugs worked out . Last ride he blew an air fork the first day but toughed it out threw the weekend . He has a set of custom built forks but didn't have them on for some reason . The pace we run he knew better too .
Asked the wife if she wanted to try it out and she declined . She prefers a CVT system , she rides a street bike but doesn't like the idea of jamming gears in the snow . Her Hawk the seat is even custom cut because she's 5'4" 1/4 and the little 503 was blessed by Aaen Performance so shes pumping out what the 450s are running with a better top speed . Not bad for a 16 year old machine , this is one of my favorites of her ripping it up .

kimmie carving.jpg

Premium Features