• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mounted GPS for Mountian Riding

E
Aug 28, 2017
So I'm looking for a GPS that I can mount on my Alpha One, would like a large screen, tracking capabilities like dropping a pin at the trailer. Snowmobile trail maps. Something that doesn't take a electrical engineering degree to run. Don't really care about the cost, more interested in ease of use, also would like to be able to use it in the summer on ATV trail rides in the mountains. Thanks in advance for the help!

I also have been looking. Have been looking into a trail tech pro for my snowbike, sled , and motorbike. Same GPS with a mounting pod for all 3. Does anyone have any info on this unit? It looks intriguing but I don't want to buy another that doesn't do what I want. Back country trails.

D
Jan 2, 2009
Coquitlam, BC
We all use Garmin Rino's and mount them to the sled with Ram mounts. This way you can send locations via radio to all of your buddies. The new 750 series doesn't have a Ram mount yet, but they expect to make them in January. Still can get the older 650's and Ram mounts are made for them.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Have been looking at the 755. Biggest drawback is the lack of RAM mount. Good to hear above that is on the way.

Liked the 655, but the 755 is just bigger screen and easier to see.

And with the RAM mount, I can put it tight to the dash, and just in case, put a tether on it to make sure it doesn't get lost when rolling the sled to get out of a bad situation.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
there's a GPS in your phone all you need is a good program .

The GPS does not need cell service to work and your phone has a large screen .
Im using a Hydro shore I got off Ebay for 40.00 on my dirt bike my ATV and my sled .
And if I crash and break it it was 40 bucks

SDPowderRider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2010
Central SD
Those of you using the Garmin Rhino's in Ram mounts I have a few questions.

Do you buy/use the touchscreen models or not?

How do you mount the Ram mounts, on the bars or the dash area?

Will the battery charge last all day usually?

J
Jan 21, 2020
So I'm looking for a GPS that I can mount on my Alpha One, would like a large screen, tracking capabilities like dropping a pin at the trailer. Snowmobile trail maps. Something that doesn't take a electrical engineering degree to run. Don't really care about the cost, more interested in ease of use, also would like to be able to use it in the summer on ATV trail rides in the mountains. Thanks in advance for the help!
I'm using the Garmin Montana 600t mounted on my dash, tucked under the windshield. I purchased this unit back in 2016. All of my research of various GPS models back then pointed me into this direction for snowmobiling, since it was the only GPS rated for below zero temps. Not sure if the other models offer similar below zero capabilities now in 2020...but I will say that I'm plenty happy with this unit.

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
I used the Trail Tech voyager pro last year and sold it because the maps for Canada available at the time were terrible. Apparently they were working on more detailed maps which might be available now. It has the buddy tracking feature which apparently is a game changer if your buddies also have the voyager pro. My riding partners don’t have the voyager so I won’t get one for this year. I’m looking at the garmin 276cx which is a bar mountable button gps and reportedly works well in the cold. I’m also looking at the new garmin 700i which uses a touch screen (might be a downside) and has a build in SOS satellite communicator. I’ve got the spot x so I don’t need this feature and would rather have my SOS tech in my bag just in case machine and I get irrevocably separated in a slide.

Premium Features