• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

04 rmk cylinder base gasket thicknes ?

It's been run and retested and it's at 120lbs compression warm , after it cooling a evening I did 4 solder squish tests on it- 1.5 mm? But I will get a micrometer on the test pieces and report back later.
I'm not sure but I think about 40 thousands is minimum safe squish gap ?
Goinboarding- I use my familiar old compression gadge ,I used to get about 140 comp on my stock head old motor configuration. I suspect the dealer is full of crap telling me that a stock cyl base gasket is 030 thick when compresed or I suck at measuring

lets talk about SQUISH GAP , i am at 65thou so i wonder does any one see a potential problem with the combination of...
slp twin pipes
vf3 reeds
gutted slp air box
3000 to 6000 foot slp head
weisco forged pistons
.065 squish gap
45 pilot, 3rd clip position, 480 mains
freezing temps barly to minus 10 c
94 octane fuel always and a 20% mix of 100ll aveation fuel as a precaution at lower temps and elevations below 3000 feet.
i am at 130 lbs compression at this point warm.
32-1 lucass semi sinthetic pre-mix only drilled oil galys
new cylinders, new tru crank , line boared cases,
will this likley blow before a thousand miles? should i sell it before its a pile of broken crap?

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Just a FYI , I've ran a lot of high compression 800ves motors, if your using anything but the updated Polaris metal gaskets you will blow base gaskets, not that you might but you will and I believe they only come in one thickness.

Don't leave home with paper gasket's on these motors if modified, i won't run them on a stock motor even, been stranded twice because of them..

My last mod 800ves had RK tek head, 175psi at 3,500', if I ran anything less then 100 or so octane at 6,500-7,500' I would break spark plugs from detenation. Ran HARD and clean on AV, no det.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
lets talk about SQUISH GAP , i am at 65thou so i wonder does any one see a potential problem with the combination of...
slp twin pipes
vf3 reeds
gutted slp air box
3000 to 6000 foot slp head
weisco forged pistons
.065 squish gap
45 pilot, 3rd clip position, 480 mains
freezing temps barly to minus 10 c
94 octane fuel always and a 20% mix of 100ll aveation fuel as a precaution at lower temps and elevations below 3000 feet.
i am at 130 lbs compression at this point warm.
32-1 lucass semi sinthetic pre-mix only drilled oil galys
new cylinders, new tru crank , line boared cases,
will this likley blow before a thousand miles? should i sell it before its a pile of broken crap?

That sounds like a very safe set up to me but with how cheap AV is and the fact your already buying it just run it straight and not worry about any det.

good feed back thanks, i do have stock polaris gaskets on order but great to hear dont leave home on paper gaskets, 2 hrs of run time around town and no problems yet .
i talked to slp 50 to 55 thou is optimum squish gap - im at .065 gap
94 octain will get me through the 0-3000 foot range with 130 lbs comp or less
after line boring and puting the different head i was thinking hard about squish gap and fuel quality requirments . it will be good to see ware the stock base gaskets put the squish gap at. also the lbs compression pulling it over.
im happy i got to toy around breaking it in a bit and experment.

FirstPlaceParts

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Mina, SD
www.FirstPlaceParts.com
If you want to know anything Polaris, this is the guy to talk to. Know as Indy Dan, his knowledge will amaze you: http://www.indyspecialty.com/

He knew Edge Chassis like no other.

I used to have a 04 800 Edge chassis with a full blown SLP race Motor in it, heads, ported, twin pipes and no ****ting under 420 lbs. *He helped me more than anyone, and knew more than anyone I have met.

But if you have motor questions call Indy Dan. He used to be on the forums all the time years ago but have not seen him in many years.

Thanks
Mark

Base gasket thickness answers

All righty now I got the stock Polaris metal black coated gaskets, they have a compression lip on them but I can say they measure .016 before the ridge but at the ridge they read .027 ,
I don't have a cylinder deck height or compressed on these yet but my guess is that it's unlikely the would be much more than .016
I will report the squish gap when I get them installed an tested.
Around sea level my home built thicker gaskets are getting me around with .065 squish gap and 94 octain fuel no detonation off the 3/6 thousand foot heads at barely freezing temps 3rd clip position and 480 main jets.

Premium Features