• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

replacing steering post 99 rmk

G

greaseburner

Dec 2, 2008
maple ridge b.c.
hey guys just picked up a 99rmk 700 or my son and the steering post is bent bad do I have to pull the motor to replace it any info would be great thanks

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I don't mean to be a jerk, but you're sure the post is bent abnormally? They have a big bend in them so they clear the air box.

That said, if you need to change the post you don't have to pull the motor. You can pull the airbox and carbs to get to the top bolts in the plate that mounts it to the tunnel and to the rod end. You can then pull the pipe and use an extension and universal joint to reach in from the front under the motor to get to the lower ones. If you can't quite make the work you can take the front 2 motor mount bolts loose and left the front of the motor to give yourself the needed room.

sled_guy

I
Jul 26, 2010
Rogers, MN
I have a 2000 RMK and it had the same problem. what i did was i took out the airbox, and removed the carbs, and everything unbolted fine with a socket extension. I didnt replace mine, I just got a rod of some strong alloy metal, cut the post at the bending point, bent it straight and i put the rod through the middle of the post (since its a hollow pipe). I placed both ends together of the post and put some weld around the post. I even went as far as extending it a little, so it has a 2-3" rise even at standard placing. its worked out very well for me. Hope this helps!

Premium Features