• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Manufacture involvement

C
Oct 17, 2012
Ronald, WA
I don't mean this to be accusatory but what is the honest financial support our public land access interests are recieving from the big manufactures. This question is across the board for all makers of powersports equipment. Unless you ride MX or own a giant ranch, seems like we all need OPEN, public land. I'm not talking about throwing a couple grand to a state snowmobile or motorcycle club but bigtime lawyers and bigtime lobbyists. Our version of the NRA.

It seems like every great riding area is under threat of being closed. These companies have money, Polaris' stock has gone through the roof the last few years. What is each companies honest contribution to our cause? Maybe it should be more. Or, if there are those that are doing more than others, I'd just assume support them. After all, if my local backcountry and single track is closed, I don't need a $13,000 skidoo, a $9,000 ktm, or a $15,000 RZR. I can find cheaper ways to piss off liberals.

snomoride

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2009
Sierra Village Ca.
Manufacture Involvment

I have asked the same thing over the years !! I wonder If they read any of these Forums ,seems like they don't ,never see any on here from any of them, And your right 100%. With out us the Buyer where you they be !!!

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Involvement

While your thoughts are viable the reality is that we, as the users of Federal Land, must advocate and spend our own money to support our right to ride on Federal land. We have to support the organizations that support our right. The liberals spend their money against us, plus some tax money to boot.

As it tuns out the Canadian and Japanese vehicle companies are politically inert in this fight. The domestics talk good, however if our case is to be, its up to me!

We need to use lawyers, (guns) and money. The sheet has hit the fan!

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I can only speak for myself from here in northern MN. Polaris and Arctic Cat are very much involved in land access, community involvement, charities, etc. You mentioned the NRA. We here have, MNUSA (Minnesota United Snowmobiliers Association) which fight and lobby for land use and our sport. Polaris and Arctic Cat have been very supportive of MNUSA. $.02:face-icon-small-hap

M
Mar 7, 2008
Tough to ignore SAWS statement regarding lack of involvement of manufacturers.

Manufacturers need support with a professional lobby/legal staff for these efforts. It's needed in Wash DC/dept of Ag/and in state govt. levels - grassroots efforts will never be enough.

Yes we need to do our part but when we run out of areas we will just sell the sleds and Skidoo/Arctic Cat/Polaris/Yamaha will have fewer sled buyers. And given the same issues apply for all motorized access there will be less need for four wheelers / etc. We will find another hobby, they can find another profit center.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
I like to snowmobile!

I will continue to support (and fund as much as I am personally able) organizations and people who fight the legal fight because I really like to ride sleds and for me the substitutes are not as good.
That is cool AC and POL support you in MN. Here in the PAC NW their efforts are not as prolific and we need more help. We need more riders to be involved.:face-icon-small-win
I believe a grass roots effort, that has funding for legal, is effective.

M
Mar 7, 2008
Good luck.
Here is a link to the Wilderness Society.
Note headquarters office in Wash DC.
This is not something grass roots will counter effectively. we have been doing that - all we have done is slow down the closures, we are not gaining or even maintaining.
The equivalent of a Wilderness Society funded by manufacturers with full time staff, and efforts in Wash DC / dept of Ag / politicians. Big money buys that access and professional led public education/etc.

http://wilderness.org/bios/staff/A

M
Mar 7, 2008
Just look at the score card - anti access groups winning everywhere.
Keep fighting like this, keep losing like this.
This requires money/organization and the manufacturers need to step it up.
Grass roots is not working. Read the SAWS letter why they are no longer.

C
Oct 17, 2012
Ronald, WA
Maybe some level of civil disobedience is the next step. If riders don't get involved and manufactures don't throw some money around, I don't see a viable alternative. Everywhere is under constant threat of motorized closure. Will it ever end, not if we keep bending over. These closures are unconstitutional anyway, why should we honor them. National Parks and old wilderness are one thing, but all this new stuff being rammed through why honor it. They can't afford to enforce it all.

S
Dec 26, 2007
well I don't think bringing guns to the table is gonna help much, as one member posted.

Corporate America is interested in their interests, and not ours. Riders don't have enough cash, and you can't tell manufactures how to spend their money.

Might be better to fly under the radar, then create a stink. Seems more one fights louder for something, someone fights back harder.

Premium Features