• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skidoo e start voltage regulator wiring

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I'm trying to come up with DC for the wifes sled so I can run an aftermarket led light, it's a mod and doesn't have a headlight. I was told to get a skidoo electric start voltage regulator because they put out AC and DC, the DC is to charge the battery but I will use it to run the light. This VR has 3 wires coming out of it, yellow/black, yellow, and red/black. I'm fairly sure the red/black is DC out to charge the battery but I'm not sure what the 2 yellows do/are. Do both of them supply power from the stator to the VR? or only one? If someone could help me out here it would be greatly appreciated. Maybe a wiring diagram? These VR's are stock on almost every e start skidoo I've seen listed, safari's, mxz's, whatever. Thanks, Jay

S

studsrsx

Jan 2, 2008
First off, what are you working on? If it's a newer skidoo xp/xm, there are three yellow wires from the stator and two others which go to the regulator.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
It's a polaris 3 cylinder xcr 800 stator and cdi, not sure of the year, call it a 2000. On the skidoo wiring, from what I can find the 2 wires, yellow/black and yellow come from the stator to the voltage regulator (AC) and the red/black goes from the VR to the battery (DC) What I suspect is that the 2 yellow wires are also connected to the main wiring harness before? they hit the VR. I'd like to see a wiring diagram that shows me the wiring between the stator and the VR.

Last edited:

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I dug out a schematic of an 800 xcr, on the xcr stator it has 3 wires coming out of it, not counting the wires for the cdi that is. They are a brown (ground) yellow/red (ground for the stator which hooks back up to the brown chassis ground) and yellow. The yellow connects to the voltage regulator which is a single yellow wire VR but the same yellow wire also is connected, before it actually hits the VR, into the main chassis harness and supplies all the AC power to the entire sled. Sooo, I am guessing to hook the xcr stator to the skidoo VR I would hook the yellow xcr wire to the yellow skidoo wire (supplying AC power to the main harness), the yellow/red xcr wire to the yellow/black skidoo wire (grounding the stator/chassis) and that leaves the red/black skidoo wire supplying 12 volt DC power for the headlight. Can anyone tell me if this is correct? I really would like to see a skidoo schematic from any e start sled.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Well that didn't work, 30 volts AC and 2.5 volts DC anyone got any suggestions?

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Turns out it does work, I made a mistake in the wiring. Anyway, here it is.
Yellow polaris to yellow skidoo - regulates AC voltage
Brown polaris to yellow/black skidoo - ground
Red/black skidoo VR wire is DC output -run whatever you want
$35 for a skidoo regulator is way cheaper than the polaris version, thanks for the response studsrsx. Jay

Premium Features