• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Custom boards for a ski doo.

L

lightweightstickers

Sep 9, 2008
GRAND JUNCTION, CO
My buddy and I couldn't justify 3-4 hundo for a pair of skinz running boards. So we are making some. These are on a zx chassis 700 skidoo. I am gonna make some for my 04 summit x next.

We are using 5/8" solid stock 6061 aluminum for everything so far. Traction is provided by some peices of aluminum extruded stock of some sort. Can't remember what the name of it is. We are gonna solid rivet the pieces to tunnel.

Also my buddy bobbed his seat. I must say he sews very well. Kinda chick like you know.

100MEDIA36IMAG0084.jpg 100MEDIA36IMAG0091.jpg 100MEDIA36IMAG0098.jpg

Last edited:

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
You guys been on this for a moth now and still not done? Must not be any snow LOL. Looking really good but lets see them done and installed ready to ride already!!

L

lightweightstickers

Sep 9, 2008
GRAND JUNCTION, CO
board update

Yeah snow hasn't been to good, so inturn we weren't in a hurry to get it done. Classes also get in the way of fun stuff but what can you do.

Update goes like this. We installed boards, they worked really well. It appears they are super strong and no snow build up:face-icon-small-hap.

Pics of boards installed don't look much different but here are a few of boards mounted up and ready to rock.

I think we have a total of 60, maybe 70 bucks invested.

2012-03-02 23.14.29.jpg 2012-03-02 23.14.47.jpg

S

skidoo1210

May 24, 2009
Worthing, SD
You have any problem with the tunnel flexing in with those? Have a 16 inch track on a 2001 and not much clearance on the side. Looks good.

L

lightweightstickers

Sep 9, 2008
GRAND JUNCTION, CO
boards

No, we thought it might at first, but when we bolted skid back up it became super rigid. We started with some 2"x1/8" flat stock and decided to go with 4"x1/8". What that did for us was when we riveted boards to tunnel it made the sides of tunnel alot stronger. I think its stiffer then with the stock boards. I aslo need to post pics of the extruded alum pieces we put on the round stock to give em some traction. I will also post pics of how we mounted round stock to the side board pieces.

S
Jan 5, 2011
these things worked great, i have a 16" wide track also, we used solid rivits, the same ones used for aircraft, so not much space was taken up inside the tunnel, about 1/4" of smoosh on the backside of the rivits. we also built some new drop brakets out of stainless while we were at it. heres a few pics of the traction added to the boards.

sledboard.jpg sledboard2.jpg

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
So you welded them straight to your tunnel is what I'm seeing? Not just anyone can do this then? If you don't have access to a tig welder then the welding alone is gonna cost some coin. But none the less your mod looks and I'm sure works great congrats!!:rockon:

L

lightweightstickers

Sep 9, 2008
GRAND JUNCTION, CO
boards

No the boards aren't welded straight to tunnel. They are riveted w/solid rivets.

The bars are welded to the piece thats riveted to tunnel however. So yes you do need a welder. It doesn't have to be a tig but that makes it alot easier for sure. Also need a bender of some sort for the kick ups in the back.

I will try and find pic of how we attached round stock to flat stock.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sorry for the misunderstanding there LOL. I had to go back and look at it again to see what I was missing, now I see how you did it. I bet those puppies are strong made that way.

S

skidoo1210

May 24, 2009
Worthing, SD
Working on making a set of these for my 01 800. Where did u find the extrusion pieces and rivets? Also should I drill holes in the plate and put the round stock in flush before welding?

L

lightweightstickers

Sep 9, 2008
GRAND JUNCTION, CO
ski doo boards

Yeah,

I thought I put pics up of how the boards went together. Anyways, Yes, I would drill holes on the piece that is to be mounted to tunnel. We used 5/8" Alum. round stock.

I got solid rivets from - http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivets/solid-rivets/small-solid-rivets/round-head-solid-rivets.html

Read on how to size the rivets. You will need to know thickness of material your fastening and how thick tunnel is. That will help with proper qeunch of rivet.

We ordered the extruded pieces that were cut for traction from an atv web site. Don't remember. I will try and find it and post it later.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Premium Features