• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Motor seizes, But still runs fine????

J

jbsumbc

Oct 26, 2008
Tumbler ridge b.c. Canada
I have a ZX Skidoo with a 830, I've been running this motor for 2 years, and it has worked great! First ride this year, it had seized, when I was putting up the trail, about a mile from the truck, I got it fired up, and it run ruff, so I turned the sled around and started heading back to the truck, made it 50 feet, and run fine??? So I sayed screw it and headed back up the hill, and the sled has not missed a beat! I have had some great rides this year, in some very deeeep snow, I would say 6 rides. The only mod I did this year was add 1 extra 5 in flowright for my air intake.
Yesterday I was riding up at Whistler, and it happend again, under different sercomstances.
I was climbing a hill, and blew a belt. Put a new belt on, the belt was a little moist, but not bad, It was not a new belt. I should have went back down, and warmed the belt up. But I turned around and took another shot at the hill, and my sled must have been over reving, and just died. So got the sled turned around, and coasted down the hill. I waited a few minutes, and the sled fired first pull, a little rough. But I proceded to ride the sled slow, for like 50 feet, and it was fine.
So I decided to ride it to see if everything was ok, and was good. Rode about 20 minutes, and again it happend. Same scenario. Played around, and it seems fine, it sounds fine, it idels fine, no loss of power. Finished the day, made it back to the truck.
It baffles me.
Would a sled run fine if it had seized?
Is the top end toast? Ive never seized a motor befor.
I recalled my EGT on my Digitron, and said 1250.

Thanks

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
You say "siezed", but I am wondering????

Did you try the clutch? Was it stuck?

Did you feel it "break loose" with the recoild one of these times maybe?

Or did it just die?

We had one of our '02's just want to up and die a few times one spring day. I'm tellin' yuh, I had everything apart on that thing. I thought fuel pump, or this, or that, or....

We had a LONG way to go to git to the lodge that we were headed for, and decided to turn around and ride back to the truck. (500 miles from home!) We went maybe 5 miles and it never did it since we turned around. So I asked the boy if he was up for turning around and taking the chance?

We put it all back together and headed back to camp. Not only ran fine the rest of that day, but ended up towing the OTHER sled about 125 klicks back out of the bush. Some in unbroken and melting (heavy) trail carrying two of us! Never missed a beat. That was 3 yrs ago now? Not seen it happen since...

Never figgered it out. But it was NOT siezed. Just died...

X
Dec 19, 2007
n. id
when my zx seized it was the side seal on the crank bearing comming off and pinched the bearing, locked the track at 50mph. after rocking the motor back and fourth from the clutch it let loose. it ran afterwards but was a little noisy. just a thought,

DOOFREAK

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Had a 2000 700 seize one time. Doo shop said a crank bearing probably dry seized from not getting enough oil. We were out west from SD it happened within the first hour of the first day of riding. Same thing as you described felt stuck at first after a couple pulls on the rope it started but ran really rough. Pulled it back to trailer took to town shop checked it over said the bearing was not out. They didn't have any parts to fix so loaded it back up and went back up the mountain started it, ran good, rode it two full days it in really decent snow and not even a hick-up. When we got back home took it to dealer they took it apart and you could see one of the crank bearings was blued from being really hot. Replaced all bearings and put it back togather.

S
Nov 18, 2010
My 01 800 blew up a few weeks ago, The pin that keeps the ring from spinning broke in half and scared the cylinder and took a little piece out of the top of the piston.

It just went flat like out of gas so I hit the gas a few times and it took right off and withing a few seconds started to jerk like the piston was sticking.

When I came to a stop it turned over but wouldnt start, had a flat cylinder.

I took the head off and all you could is the line the pin made in the cylinder and when we pulled the jugs it was all nasty with melted metal. Was told i cold seized it but it sure didn't happen on that day.

My thoughts are it happend another time and the day it totaly went out the pin broke.

I'd run a compretion check and then pull the jugs if needed.

Mine also loaded up on one cylinder if I let it idle for more then 5 seconds and started to run on one cylinder. I also bought it blow up and both times it was fast as all hell but no fun to tow.

Good luck and let us know what it is.

I would say it sounds like primary clutch is sticking. I have also seen broken cranks act the same way though. Sometimes they will last a few hundred miles even though they are broke. I hope it is the clutch though. Easy fix and a lot less expensive.:face-icon-small-dis

Premium Features