• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

For the guys that have gave this a thought.

M
Mar 7, 2008
sidehilling

For the many years I rode kings ( i still have one) I have said that drop brackets ruin the handling of this chassis ! I have been called lots of things for this opinion. My 1M side hills easier than my M no doubt about it. toss the drop brackets they suck !! Then if you really do have a king, not just a 1m 900 mountain cat. Toss the lower scissor arm on the rear suspension and get the one that came on the 06 king and 04 mountain cats. (its also comes on the HCR M8s) It is easily 1 inch shorter. Makes a HUGE difference. Makes it so the chassis can transfer weight the way it likes to and makes it a dream in the DEEP pow. Now, doing both of those things will make it so it doesn't like trails. But for me I could care less about trial handling, its all about how she handles in the trees and deep snow.

i have 04 1M 900cc 159 inch mountain cats. they sidehill like a dream. also now riding 2011 M8 162 and i still think the 04 1M sidehilling is easier! (i'm still working on finding that sweet spot on the M but so far harder for me to hold sidehill for very long) the 04 is also excellent in deep powder but there is a spot at low speed it can get stuck while the M8 162 will keep moving at that slower speed.
the 04 does not do very well on trail moguls but where we ride that is very minmal.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Swap that PC track onto the 1M and it will motivate very well! Also it is the rear suspension that is firmer in the 1M that may raise cane at the lower speed? It also has way more overall drag as it is lower all the way around, blunter in front and wider longer running boards. I would have thought it would have never been able to keep up with the '11 M series in the least!
Good to hear the O'le hound dog is good for something? Just raise it, PC it and slick up the bottom side of her and watch out!
Mike

Last edited:

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
in the shadow of the Rubies, Nevada
It will fit practically any sled... but will have to fabricate the brackets up front, as with any chassis. The trick is to hold down the front of the tank... thats where all the different sleds are different.

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
k thanks but i a two peace seat on my powder special

then someone updated it cause i think they started the two piece in 03? I know all the early models were one piece with the seat mounted to the tank cause i also just bought a 2000 powder special clear tank for my 98 ZR and it was one piece, unless buddy modded the seat so its two piece.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I have a 04' King with SJ drop brackets and a 04'1M without. The 1M does handle better the king, but does not go thru as much snow. What I usually fight on sidehilling is the deep snow pushing me downhill due to the big old bath tub belly pans.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
I was wondering does a little narrower ski (6") help hold a line while sidehilling better than a wide (7"+) ski? Was thinking doing a cut on the outer trailing edge of the ski from the spindle back? Maybe it will help allow it to stay into the hill?

Mike

F
Aug 17, 2010
K-Town, BC
Im also trying to increase the maneuverability of my 03 1M. It sits real high and is a bitch to sidehill/carve. I just got off a 2011 M8 and all you need to do to tip that thing is push hard with your foot and maybe counter steer a couple inches and your laying sideways ipulling donuts!!!

I might look at losing the drop brackets. Also got some new M series skis I might also put those on the narrowest stance possible to see if that helps.

Im also kinda sick of shooting straight up hills. The avi risk is high up here and we are heading to Golden/Revy so I doubt we will be doing much highmarking this week!!

Does anyone know if lowering the front rear shock/coil tension will affect how high the back sits or does that just make the suspension softer.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Just makes the front of the sled suspension softer, I am roughly 2 turns tight from full loose. Mine is raised up all the way around and lays over real easy, but I am always looking for more improvements.

Mike

Premium Features