• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trail Tank Woes on Nytro

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
www.reelfishingadventues.net
After spending more time than necessary to install the Trail Tank I feel obligated to advise others about this product. Its a PITA for lack of something more sinister to say, and if I'd known it was this much trouble I would not have put it on. The fit sucks! To the extent in fact, that I finally chopped off the existing tank bolts and am installing threaded inserts into new holes for it to fit. When even the instructions tell you to "pry" the bolts into the new Trail Tank holes, I think it's telling you its not molded properly.
As well, because the tank does not fit properly for those bolt holes, chances are that you seat will also not fit in the existing holes on the heat shield, as I had to also change this. If thats not bad enough, then the front panels also don't fit properly, so the holes have to be drilled out so the new screws that hold them to the tank can fit! Oh, and did I mention that the fuel hose to the tank should be changed as well because it is so tight I can see the plastic fitting snapping off! FYI, this isn't just me, my other 2 buddies also had the same problems with their Trail Tanks and, the Yammy dealer we bought them from also said they've had nothing but problems!
One last thing, if all the above isn't bad enough, they only hold 37 L and not the 39 L they advertise! I contacted the company about this and they remarked that they had to "remold" the tanks for the coolant hoses so lost some of the capactity, and that they "should" update their site. That was last season and it still hasn't changed. I'm guessing you know my opinion as to whether or not to buy the tank! Carry a jug...... Sherm

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
You pretty much covered it all. They fit like crap and I cant believe this is a "finished" product. Eric

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
ya did one for a buddy last year and we did the threaded inserts also which made it easier. But theres no way i could do it on my own sled...like come on they went thru all that work to make the mold ect ect and it fits like crap:face-icon-small-sho man so stick with the stocker, you will be way happier.

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
Well, IF I had kept my stock tank I would have put it back on but of course I tossed it! I agree, all the R and D to make such a tank, why the crappy fit and still charge an arm and a leg for it! Oh well, its punched and drilled now, just have to put up with the sloppy look on the tank and take the tank off if I want to change plugs! Sherm

S

sled-fiend

Nov 27, 2006
Victoria, BC
www.raintek.ca
Trail tank came on the Nytro I bought, it fit like garbage. I swapped it out for the stock one. Like the rest of you say, save your time and money and buy a gas rack:face-icon-small-win

J

j_w10

Mar 8, 2009
tank

I have a stock fuel tank in my garage if anyone wants to buy it. i have the impulse on mine thats why it came off. call 403 363 1510 if interested.

S

srxspec

Nov 27, 2007
www.ulmerracing.com
Did you loosen the 4 bolts holding the aluminum "steering gate" into place and lift it so it was as high as it could go in the stock holes and then tighten the bolts again? Usually this makes a world of difference, but it's not in their instructions. When done correctly the seat, plastics, etc will all line up perfectly.

B

big_red1a

Oct 23, 2008
Stock tank

I also have a stock tank and black seat For Sale off a 2010 Nytro with Impulse
PM if interested

Last edited:
L
Sep 11, 2010
I just did a trail tank on my 09 MTX and it fit pretty good, I did the steering relocate at the same time and just made sure to loosen all the wires straps and stuff under the hood and then just gave the tank a push and she popped right in on the existing studs... Pushed her all the way forward and tightened her up. The seat and everything fit right back in the factory holes... The only part I found tight was the plastic that goes on the center of the tank... but all the other plastic lined up good... Maybe I just got one of the good ones???

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
I contacted Trail tank after I was unhappy with the fit of the tank. He refunded my money and I sent the tank back to him at his cost. Call them you might be suprised.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I have one on my sled so I can fit the turbo under it. If it wasn't needed for the kit, I sure as heck would have stayed with the stock tank. I was really not impressed with it at all.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
I got one of the first Trail Tanks produced in the spring of '08. I had a heck of a time getting it pushed forward enough to line up with the studs. It didn't occur to me to loosen any steering hoop parts. My buddy had no issues at all mounting his tank that spring. I figured part of my issues was that I rolled my sled and maybe tweaked something.

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
The loosening the "hoop" bolts is in on their website and I did that too, still shy a good 1/2" on the tunnel/tank bolts. Needless to say that if those don't line up then neither will all the plastics. Whatever, I've put the new tank bolts in, changed seat bolt location and "made" the plastics fit, can't turn back now! Sherm

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
A new piece of info on the Trail Tank! El Presidante of our sled club was down south at the Snow Show in Washington, and met the owner of Trail Tank. El Presidante let it fly concerning our problems with the tanks which we had just bought this past spring. Speaking of spring, the owner passed on brand new tanks for us and, they fit!! I know, hard to believe, but I have to give the owner credit for admiting they have been having problems but feel they now have them fixed.
The tank still holds 37L and it fits right over the stock tunnel bolts(ya, I replaced the ones I cut off!!), no forcing or prying. The big difference in this latest tank is that is has the indent across the front of it where it fits under the hoop, just like the factory tank did. The rear screw on the front hood is still a bit tight to get on but the rest fit great, what can I say, thanks Trail Tank! Sherm

G
Mar 13, 2009
Western NY
I installed a Trail Tank a couple of years ago. It was a tight fit but overall I'm happy with it. The Trail Tank is the best option if increased fuel capacity is needed and if installed right can look like OEM. I've replaced the thumb screws with hood snap fasteners which makes removing the hood so much easier. I think they're going to hold up but some time out on the trail is needed to fully test them.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=90341&highlight=

Premium Features