• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 nytro 162 vs 800 class sleds

S
Nov 29, 2007
They may be better because the 2010 have not had a season under their belt. In the end I would pay close to the same price and still have an 08, not good for resale compared to an 2010.Never get good return on mods. Not that I plan on selling soon.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
we had two stock nitros with us last year, they are guys from whitefish montana, i think and are members here, we all traded machines over the course of the day, stock nitros are not bad, but no where near the 800s, they have a poor track, and low in hp, and are heavy, this is the makings for not a fun day in the steep and deep, i think if you do not have the cash to turbo them look at the two strokes

we came across A turboed nitro on another ride and it was a different story, it had a 162 inch track, fancy skid and other things, ran 18lbs boost, it ran stronger then mine in the point and shoot department by a margin ,but i got told latter he was not having much fun in the trees, i guess the 80mph track speed is not as effective in technical riding areas, and the extra weight takes a toll, i think each sled has it moment and for my riding i am not sure if nitros will

i got a buddy with a turbod nitro this year and we will have many rides to compare, and truct me i will be riding both:D

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
The whole tree riding thing with a turbo is all throttle control I have a manual boost controller and just turn it down to 10 -12 pounds-- no more problem.

The issue is not the sled handling or weight as much as to much power -- turn it down and no more problem--- same with real technical climbs -- less boost = better control :face-icon-small-hap and if someone passes you turn it up:D

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
we were in deep snow that day, visibity was not that great in the open areas, the tnitro wanded to go back, but was not sure how, lol

that night, the light sled operators went to the bar, the nitro rider never made supper, he tried all sorts of boost, but it does nothing for weight

xps are to heavy in those conditions, wish mine weighted 100 lbs, let alone a 600 lb sled

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I would rather boondock through trees than hillshoot all day. I can't say my sled has ever let me down in the trees or made me want to turn around. Before I had it setup right, it gave me some fits but after the 3rd or 4th ride its been smooth sailing since.

That reminds me, I should look at getting a new belt this year. 3 seasons is probably enough for the original....

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Some of this is going off track a bit...

But i really wouldn't go into it thinking the Nytro is an 800cc 2 stroke... power or weight wise. Its not, and it won't be w/o a hefty diet and boost. Period.

I however do not doubt it can hang with a group of 800s, but you most likely will not be leading the pack.

The Nytro is FUN to ride with the proper upgrades (maybe the 10 has it figured out, I wouldn't count on it though..but it should be closer..)

I came off an 840 Rev, and while the stock Nytro was actually pretty fun in the trees and meadows...it was a real disapointment (to me) when it came to hills and DEEP pow.
I wouldn't be on a Nytro w/o boost...fwiw.
But then again, I think I'd rather have my old 840 Rev over an XP today too...fwiw. :p

I am and have been a weight nut. And its taken me some getting used to the Nytro, no doubt. Its weight, its 4 stroke manners. Not to mention the "HANG ON, HERE COMES THE BOOST" factor. ;)

There are things you get with a Nytro (4s) that you have to compromise for (and thats the choice you need to make). Even with boost, you can have a 250+ HP fuel and go engine..for years. At this time, not MANY 2 strokes will compare to engine reliabilty/life a 4 stroke has. But, yes, you pay for it in the weight..

Best piece of advice, test ride one first, I was fortunate enough to ride a buddies stock Nytro for most of a day, and also got a bit of time on a MCX Nytro the same day. After that I found a used boosted Nytro. :) And have been mostly happy since. Aside from a few minor things that make me GRRRR, its treated me well.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
we had two stock nitros with us last year, they are guys from whitefish montana, i think and are members here, we all traded machines over the course of the day, stock nitros are not bad, but no where near the 800s, they have a poor track, and low in hp, and are heavy, this is the makings for not a fun day in the steep and deep, i think if you do not have the cash to turbo them look at the two strokes

we came across A turboed nitro on another ride and it was a different story, it had a 162 inch track, fancy skid and other things, ran 18lbs boost, it ran stronger then mine in the point and shoot department by a margin ,but i got told latter he was not having much fun in the trees, i guess the 80mph track speed is not as effective in technical riding areas, and the extra weight takes a toll, i think each sled has it moment and for my riding i am not sure if nitros will

i got a buddy with a turbod nitro this year and we will have many rides to compare, and truct me i will be riding both:D

LOL a TNytro running 18lbs of boost with skid and track could only beat you buy a margin at point and shoot :confused: I find that pretty hard to believe as I just traded my 08 XP with NOS and clutching, I mean your running what... a whopping 175hp???

C
Dec 3, 2007
Waconia MN
i have a SHR set up 08 xp 800 154 and my bros 08 162 hartman clutched nytro runs right with me and it smokes my dads 09 700 rmk trees hills everythng my votes for the new nytro it went on a big diet new skid for 2010 however i would only get 162 se i think with the weight of the four stroke and for bigger guys the 162 is the only way to go if i cant sort deep snow issues out with my xp iam jumpin ship to a nytro

justpinit907

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Interior, Alaska
Might hang but definitely not an 800 class sled

I've gotten a couple of weekend rides on a friends 08 (bone stock) nytro and was easily able to hang with and frequently beat well setup 7's but for the most part, the 8's weren't a fair group for a comparo at all.

Don't get me wrong, I love the nytro and will be buying one as soon as I unload my apex to someone. But, I also like to see boost in that future as well.

P.s. Nikolai, your sled is looking sick. Your and Drew's tunnels turned out looking really good.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just to add another note. There are quite a few of us that have NO plans for boost. I don't have any need, but it depends upon your riding preferences and your riding group.
Is that just because of the added cost??

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

D
Nov 30, 2007
I have an 08 Apex, all stock, my buddy has an 08 Nytro, now unless they changed the Nytro a ton, it wont hang with the 800's, The Apex doesnt really hang with them (depending on snow of course), and the stock Nytro doesnt hang with a stock Apex.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Is that just because of the added cost??

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
cost is a small one. the fact that once you do a turbo / boost you need a better rear suspension... and the list goes on.

The biggest reason is that none of my riding partners have anything more then stock 800's. So what is the point then? The riding group needs to have people with pretty similar sleds. If you get 1 of them on a turbo, then the riding areas for the guy on the turbo are much much different then the guys without big power.

I have heard this from many people that have had big power sleds, riding with people that don't.

I get scared enough as it is when riding and coming down crazy things. I don't need a turbo to take me to where I shouldn't be going. Though, the riding in Washington is a little different. Not much point and shoot big climbs.

I bet if a group of riders were all on Phazers that everyone would still have a good time, probably even better. Better sleds force you to find more difficult terrain in order to have the same level of excitement. What was once a fun play area turns boring with boost..

Just IMO as always..

From other posts I have seen about most of your riding being with family, I would just get what every they are going to be riding. yah, your manhood might suffer, but smaller / less powerful sleds have much more riding areas that are challenging as compared to big power sleds.

D
Jan 8, 2009
Alberta
I think I can help. I have an 08 that I hit the slopes with once bone stock, and once modded.

Stock it was a great sled, fun, but yes wouldn't hang with 800's. It was barely hanging with an old summit 800, pre-rev chassis.

I chucked a 162 under it, as well as a hartman primary kit, new secondary spring, and dropped a gear to 19t from 20t. The next weekend I was out with a piped and clutched M8 and hung with him all day. We traded back and forth on the hill, with him winning most of the high marks, but it was close, and on the hard pack flats I would walk on him off the start bad.

They can hang but need about 300 bucks to do so (well about 1500 for me but I needed a track), I think the 2010 with clutching work would be a fantastic sled.

Just don't get stuck..................

Last edited:
D
Jan 8, 2009
Alberta
Should have added, I too would vote for buying an 09 and modding it yourself.

I'm sure you could find one in the 9-10g range in your neck of the woods, hartman 162 extenstions, 162 camo track, clutching, and gearing cost me about 1500, this included the tunnel extension.

Add a timbersled or kmod skid underneath, and perhaps zbroz shocks and a-arms up front and you are at about the same cost as a 2010 but better suspension, better track, and clutching all done.

Just my 2 cents, or maybe 4..........

Premium Features