• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

04 800 Mountain Cat Bogging

C
Mar 13, 2008
Los Alamos, NM
Yeah I checked the valves and the move freely and are adjusted to the proper length, and the servo is working.

Does any one have a part number for the TPS? When I try to find it I can only find it attached to the throttle body and not as 1 piece.

C
Mar 13, 2008
Los Alamos, NM
I was able to work out a deal with another SW member to score a new TPS. More about that later.

It snowed at the house about 6 inches, enough to run around the back yard. I played around for about 1/2 hour and no problems, it ran better than before. I had adjusted the slack out of the throttle cable and figure I was only getting about 3/4 throttle before, so bonus there.

I still think there is electrical demons lurking and we'll find out this weekend. I did buy and should get tomorrow a voltage regulator, which many of you have eluded to as being finicky and a hit or miss problem, a new coil and plugwires/caps and just a TPS.

Now when I look in the manual it says the TPS can be calibrated by plugging in some AC diagnostic tool. It sounds like this AC tool applys a voltage to the TPS and reads the output voltage based on the throttle position and a spec is given in the manual for these voltages. Do you think it is safe to assume that the TPS would come properly adjusted, or if I think the TPS is the problem after replacing the coil and voltage regulator that I should take it to a AC dealer?

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
The TPS has to be on the throttle bodies to be adjusted. I times the throttle opening with the timing advance. You can make a tester for it using a 9 volt battery and a 5 volt regulator along with a fluke meter. You can take the sled or just the throttle bodies into a shop and they can set it in about 5 minutes.

C
Mar 13, 2008
Los Alamos, NM
Okay so hook up a 9v battery (like smoke alarm battery) to a resitor to generate 5 volts. If remember the connector for the TPS it has 4 pins. How do I apply the voltage and how do I read the output? (Which Pins)

My problem is the nearest AC dealership is in South Fork, CO. About 4 hours away, and whenI talked to the guy he didn't seem real keen on helping me. I'm still waiting on a phone call from him to let me know if he can get me a TPS and I already have one.

But it sounds like it needs to be adjusted for the set of throtle bodies it is going on because they are different from every other set of throttle bodies how? I saw you should adjust the angle of the butterfly at idle and WOT, but let's assume that is correct and all the same.

I guess my question is when they make and ship these things are they set close or do they have to be adjusted?

If my TPS is bad would it be intermitant or always bad? I can't get it to screw up when I have a timing light handy to check and see if the timing changes when I unplugg the TPS.

Premium Features