• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Helmet To Helmet Communicators

T

trevsutt

Oct 15, 2008
Me & my friends are looking to purchase communicators. We do fairly extreme mountain sledding & I'm wondering if anybody has had luck and/or bad experiences with any of the choices out there. We were thinking of going with the Chatterbox's, anybody used these? Thanks for your input!

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
If you're like me and you yell/scream/swear a lot when you're riding, a voice-activated radio will likely annoy everyone else on the frequency.

Personally I'd go with an FRS radio with a lapel mic... most have a connector for one, and you can find 'em on ebay for pretty cheap. Radio shark *might* have them, but every time I've gone there recently i've been quite disappointed. Thing with the FRS rigs is most everyone on the mountain has one.

Motorola makes good radios... don't cheap out when it comes to communication. There's a big performance difference between the $10/pair radios and the $60/pair radios ($30 per radio is still really cheap, considering what one like mine runs for).

Here's my rig... radio gets strapped to my pack, keypad/dial locked. Mic grabs onto the shoulder strap on my pack and the cable goes inside hte strap to the radio. I usually pack one or two 2watt commercial VHF radios as well; just in case a group has to split up. Mic doesn't bump against anything, and it's easy to hear and get to.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Me & my friends are looking to purchase communicators. We do fairly extreme mountain sledding & I'm wondering if anybody has had luck and/or bad experiences with any of the choices out there. We were thinking of going with the Chatterbox's, anybody used these? Thanks for your input!

the best helmet radio's I have used are the collet communicators..they work really good....only problem we have ever had with them was a buddies 02 800 arctic cat..it would get static at anything over 3/8 throttle..changed his plug wires and that solved it...

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
We use the chatterbox radios and they work flawlessly.
VOX feature is not an option on a sled IMO.
You can add a push button feature and velcro it to your helmet and then it is PTT... Works great and we have comunicated 4 miles away at times.
Only thing that is irritating is you sometimes get interference when cresting a mountain... Does not happen very often though.

C
Nov 29, 2007
Minnesota/Wisconsin
We tried chatter boxes a few years ago and weren't impressed. They were combersome, hard to use, a big tangle of wires, and didn't work very well for us. I won't recomend them. I'd invest in some kind of handheld unit for communication if I were going to spend money on it again.

Premium Features