• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lightweight Lithium Batteries

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
What is everybody using?

I'd like one that will cold start at ambient temps of at least 20-70'F.

And one that lasts more than a season (actually only used for 4 rides) even when removed after each day and brought into a temp controlled 72'F.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Speedcell. (I am the director of motorsports)

My guess is the battery you used four times was prismatic construction. Energy dense, but struggles with high amperage event.

What makes it tough is the Polaris starting system. The starter is not very efficient, the flex shaft adds more inefficiency, the extreme cold creates big loads when the motor is tight in the morning.

There are protocols that can be followed to help aid a lithium battery (you did more than most by removing at night and bringing inside) but at the end of the day lithium struggles with cold weather performance.

Your temperature performance window 20-70 degrees is achievable-- ESPECIALLY if you are willing to pull start your side first thing in the morning if it has been outside all night. Even if you don't want to pull start it, just pulling the recoil out slowly a few times will help loosen the motor up significantly and you can then use battery for starting event.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Bikeman is selling these batteries with their LW battery box for the AXYS chassis. Seems to be pretty good quality but no real tests from "snowmobiles". Price is high but may be worth it for weight savings I suppose.

I've been kicking the idea but not in a hurry yet.

63da52579b5ee14b0aa85d9e45efcdd2.jpg

WPS Featherweight Lithium Battery HJTX20CH-FP-IL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DX893UE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_olMBwb2SE5MVC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
That's the same battery that I have been running in my Pro last year and now my Axys. WPS part number is 490-2523.

There was only one day when it wouldn't start it. First start of the morning, well below 0, after that it started it all day no issues.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I bought bikeman's kit with the lightweight battery box. Easy installation. Removes 12.5 pounds. No Brainer with electric start. Even if I have to pull it one time in the morning. My weight penalty is probably down to 8 pounds. I put a diamond s quiet can on so I am probably back to even with electric start, clicker shocks and a painted tunnel.

D
Speedcell. (I am the director of motorsports)

My guess is the battery you used four times was prismatic construction. Energy dense, but struggles with high amperage event.

What makes it tough is the Polaris starting system. The starter is not very efficient, the flex shaft adds more inefficiency, the extreme cold creates big loads when the motor is tight in the morning.

There are protocols that can be followed to help aid a lithium battery (you did more than most by removing at night and bringing inside) but at the end of the day lithium struggles with cold weather performance.

Your temperature performance window 20-70 degrees is achievable-- ESPECIALLY if you are willing to pull start your side first thing in the morning if it has been outside all night. Even if you don't want to pull start it, just pulling the recoil out slowly a few times will help loosen the motor up significantly and you can then use battery for starting event.

Agree with Murph
I am using a Speed Cell Battery on my Pro and it works great. Its a trade off, if you cant roll the motor over by hand in the mornings then you may need to stay in your Subaru until summer comes around. Just kidding... However if you want to dump a bunch of Lead and Acid out of your sled Speed Cell is a good option. I've done the Lithium route and they are OK but really struggle at low temps.

jhubs

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Battery

I have two of the wps batteries in two different sleds. Happy with both extremely light. If it's well below zero may have to pull start. Or it seems the more draw u put on those batteries they kind of recharge themselves. Have had to try start the sled three or four times in a row. Then it will start if it's really cold

Premium Features