• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Helmet...which helmet is the lightest?

P
Nov 21, 2007
HAYDEN, IDAHO
Just picked up a Fox V3 helmet. They weigh 2.9lbs and look sweet! I could not find published weights for any other helmets when I was shopping for one. I assume it's because Fox has the lightest and hence the reason the advertise the weight. They have many different color schemes to select from as well.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
The published weight is usually a size small. We weigh alot of helmets. Always use a size large. The HJC carbon, Troylee design and Fox V3 all were 3.1. The Klim and Shoei were 3.4. All very nice helmets.

P
Nov 21, 2007
HAYDEN, IDAHO
The published weight is usually a size small. We weigh alot of helmets. Always use a size large. The HJC carbon, Troylee design and Fox V3 all were 3.1. The Klim and Shoei were 3.4. All very nice helmets.

Thank you for clarifying! Nothing like going from a 4.something lb helmet to a 3 pounder. My neck can definitely tell the differance after a long days ride.

painterdrew

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
I have seen a guy up on Mt St Helens. I think he is Russian or Eastern Euro. He rides with no Helmet. Just a stocking cap. He is a good rider as well. I guess that is as lite as you can get. Not very smart..... But lite:light:

O

obile

Jan 17, 2003
walla walla wa
just got this carbon kevlar its under 3 lbs very comfy and great quality. highly recomend people look at troy lee design helmets.
06_SE_machine_black.jpg

F
Nov 26, 2007
I go through several helmets a year. I would tend to steer away from Polycarbonate.

Our company did some test shells a few years back for a large well know helmet manufacturer. The Carbon helmets are just an outer layer...primarily for "looks" and Marketing. It is lighter than fiberglas but heavier than kevlar. We manufactured several shells, the shell that was 100% carbon failed miserably...it held up fine, but too much force was transfered through.

More expensive helmets are generally better...here is my reasoning (based on working with them). this was a few years ago so things may be different now.
1. cheaper helmets generally only have one mold for all helmet sizes.
2. cheaper helmets look to make the best helmet possible for a given price.

A. The higher end helmets usually have molds for different size shells.
B. The higher end looks at saving you in the worst condition and then builds the helmet for whatever cost it may be.

Realizing circumstanses may be different whenever you crash...

Premium Features